Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice of Ireland - Season 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Do people actually watch it?
    No, its complete un-professional Sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

I'm well aware of that concept!! I was merely responding!! There isnt a science. But I seriously dont get the fuss about this Michael guy!!

I agree. I think Michael started off well in the show but I don't think he improved all the much. Matheus had more quality in his voice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Is this series still running!. Voice UK done and dusted in a matter of weeks? The Irish version is really pulling the arse of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think pretty much the right people got through to the final (maybe Moylan should have had a place in it, although her style isn't to my taste) but pitting the contestants only against their teammates rather than having a full, all-in vote seems ridiculous at this stage in the competition. I'm sure I said the same this time last year, but there's a real imbalance in the show - months and months of the early stages, then the live shows and final are packed in to a couple of weeks. I don't have a clear idea of any of the contestants really 'as artists' ( :D as they love to refer to them!).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

TNigel and Calesa are brilliant singers...but they are not going to be successful outside the show.

Nigel already has a pretty successful musical career outside of the show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

The oh-so-funny 'banter' from Eoghan Mc Dermott really adds nothing whatsoever to the show, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Sorry Mateus went.Thought he was great.
    Moylan was a novelty..tried something different with her voice but while it was different there is only so much I could have listened to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

dee_mc wrote: »
    I think pretty much the right people got through to the final (maybe Moylan should have had a place in it, although her style isn't to my taste) but pitting the contestants only against their teammates rather than having a full, all-in vote seems ridiculous at this stage in the competition. I'm sure I said the same this time last year, but there's a real imbalance in the show - months and months of the early stages, then the live shows and final are packed in to a couple of weeks. I don't have a clear idea of any of the contestants really 'as artists' ( :D as they love to refer to them!).

yeah i couldnt believe its over next week? The auditions went on about two and a half months and there has been, what 3 or 4 live shows? Its a bizarre format.

Kalesa was also in a girlband called Minx. They went on tour as support to Liberty X back the day and played the Wembley Arena. That's not too shabby either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Pub singer, that's about the height of it.

• Advertisement

Howjoe1 wrote: »

He's a professional drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Playing with Daniel O' Donnell, and the Pearl Jam tribute band are faaaar from a pub band! Most successful person on the show by a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Smegmaniac17

Oh I know he is a successful musician and he is a gifted singer... I loved his performance tonight. But I just don't think he'd make it as a solo artist commercially... I think for someone from one of these shows to become successful outside the show, they would really need to bring something very unique and special to the table... and I just don't think Nigel is unique enough.

This is Nigel singing 'Bring Him Home' from Les Miserables at a soundcheck in the Royal Albert Hall. It's hard to get much further from "pub singer... that's about the height of it" than this.

stankratz wrote: »
    This is Nigel singing 'Bring Him Home' from Les Miserables at a soundcheck in the Royal Albert Hall. It's hard to get much further from "pub singer... that's about the height of it" than this.

Thanks for putting that up stankratz. Whether you are a fan or not of Nigel that proves his class beyond a doubt. Hopefully it'll stop some of the scutter from some posters here about his abilities.

On a side note I've done a fair bit of gigging with various bands over the years, not just in Ireland, and I always find it humorous when people use the term 'pub-singer' like it's some derogatory slight on someone with below average musical abilities. I've come across many the pub musicians who would blow most of the famous singers I hear on the radio nowadays out of the water vocally and musically.

I have to defend lads and lassies who work their asses of in pubs around the country who get f**k all thanks for their efforts, often abused by punters, have pints of stinky beer poured over their expensive equipment and end up forfeiting their week-ends, probably 50 weeks of the year to do what they do best and what they love, entertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

LynnGrace wrote: »
    The oh-so-funny 'banter' from Eoghan Mc Dermott really adds nothing whatsoever to the show, in my opinion.

Totally agree, people who are interested in what is being said about #TheVoice on Social Media, are on Social Media and can see it there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Unfortunately, none of the entrants really had a uniqueness which would make them stand out to the record buying public. Moylan was the only stand out voice for me who might go on to forge a career. Nigel has a good voice and can drum - but who would buy his record.

What they will find success at is musical theatre if that's something that they want to do.

You are either a top selling solo artist like Hozier or band, U2/The Script, mid level and then pub / wedding band (which is meant in no derogatory way).

Mid level like Mundy or Paddy Casey who have fared well but aren't that big anymore... Jack L, Gerry Fish - they do well on the festival circuit at home and abroad but haven't sold many singles in over a decade.

A decent wedding band makes a decent wedge. I've worked in events and have seen some great bands with great singers who just never made the big time. They love what they do and they keep doing it. No shame in that at all.

Where do the competitors see themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Washed up and never weres judge never will bes in a thinly veiled attempt by RTE to get the gullible to vote on something of no consequence on a premium number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

HelgaWard wrote: »
    Totally agree, people who are interested in what is being said about #TheVoice on Social Media, are on Social Media and can see it there!!

And it sounds / looks like filler a lot of the time. I remember one year the winner got barely any time to sing / enjoy their win onscreen because so much drivel like that went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Jebus Heist!!

Anyone see the trailer ad for the final!! THE WORST EVER!!

Not a mention of who is in it, not even a visual of who is in it!!

Just the 4 "judges" standing up and saying stuff like "Its going to be a great final" "they need to perform" "there are no second chances" "the competition is fierce" (or something of the like!)

Its obvious it was recorded months ago. Surely they could have taken a few hours out of their "busy schedule" to edit it with shots of who is actually in the final, at the very least!!

Amateur hour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Stig Inge

Oh My. What is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Una looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

What does the winner get ? Money or a contract deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

A €100,000 recording contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Not really impressed so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Stig Inge

Not much of a crowd there to greet her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fairly bad choice of a song for a final tbh

Not sure it's a great idea to be constantly mentioning that her and Kian are friends either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Keleesa is best IMHO.

I hope Bonnie Ryan is watching realisng that not everyone lip syncs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Fair play to Kelesa - seems very accomplished on stage as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Kelesha's bad song choice bad in my opinion

Advertisement