Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice of Ireland - Season 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

In fairness, it's an ok family show that the kids love and something for everyone to watch of a Sunday evening. The producers don't milk the sob stories or humiliate contestants in the same way that the X-Factor do, so it's fairly clean innocent family fun...harmless enough.

Like I said before, it's just a pity that the few decent performers who do emerge, don't seem to get much by way of a record deal etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

All these remain cheap to make and are the perfect filler for 1.5 hours on a Sunday.

FOR ABOUT 3/4 MONTHS!!!

So a nice way for RTE to claim they are showing original output for that period of time, and not showing repeats of Una's Dream Ticket, or Building Ireland for the 17 millionth time!

Yintang wrote: »
    it's just a pity that the few decent performers who do emerge, don't seem to get much by way of a record deal etc.

It seems that the winner who gets the album deal, gets only that, an album, no publicity, no PR, no nothing.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the record company use it as a training exercise for their younger producers/engineers, i.e. let them use this album to practice/train on, before the real recording needs to get done. (having said that, I haven't listened to any previous winners albums, so couldn't really comment on the production values of the album).

I'd imagine the album gets released on iTunes, and thats that, if it sells it sells, if it doesn't sell, see ya later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It seems that the winner who gets the album deal, gets only that, an album, no publicity, no PR, no nothing.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the record company use it as a training exercise for their younger producers/engineers, i.e. let them use this album to practice/train on, before the real recording needs to get done. (having said that, I haven't listened to any previous winners albums, so couldn't really comment on the production values of the album).

I'd imagine the album gets released on iTunes, and thats that, if it sells it sells, if it doesn't sell, see ya later.

That's it exactly. And anyone can do that without going through this show. The show is a vehicle for the presenters and judges and to further their career and not any of the contestants'.

The Irish music scene has been at its worst (when was the last time we got a Luke Kelly, Rory Gallagher and Phil Lynott all there at the same time!!) and it is all either pop or popcountry rubbish. The Voice of Ireland does often expose us to some genuinely talented singers but they get no support. The closed shop mentality protects all the boybands and their even worse boyfolk country cousins. When I see a genuine folk, blues or rock performer top the charts in Ireland, then I know the media have changed and decided to promote something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

How many weeks of blinds, battles and lives are there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Monife wrote: »
    How many weeks of blinds, battles and lives are there?

5 weeks of blinds, 3 weeks of battles, and 6 live shows, as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

dee_mc wrote: »
    5 weeks of blinds, 3 weeks of battles, and 6 live shows, as far as I know

They drag it out longer than the UK one ( which started this evening)

They drag it out longer than the UK one ( which started this evening)

Which is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times more interesting and better to watch than the Irish Voice,

You'd expect the production to be miles better & slicker (which it is), but also the interaction between the judges is much better than the Irish judges just bitching at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Which is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times more interesting and better to watch than the Irish Voice,

You'd expect the production to be miles better & slicker (which it is), but also the interaction between the judges is much better than the Irish judges just bitching at each other.

I actually disagree - I can't watch the UK version at all. They completely make it all about the judge, feels very fake and staged. They really milk the contestants' back stories and I just find it really too much like the X-factor. Bad and all as the Irish version is, I think the judges are generally fairly honest (apart from Una Foden, I find her highly irritating) ...

The banter between Bressie and Cian is actually quite funny from time to time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I think there are 6 blinds this year. Not 100% though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Witchie wrote:
    I think there are 6 blinds this year. Not 100% though

I should've said, what I quoted above was based on previous years, it's quite possible that this year's format is different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just that as far as I remember I went to the recording of the 4th one and there were 2 more the next day.

Here we go again!!

Round 2...

Sound is awful

Una still winging her way through the show by simply saying various buzz words!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

Guitar is a bit like Tracey Chapman, Revolution. The melody that is.

Bressie's out of the traps.

Ok Folks. There are just far too many contestants here who seem to have been never on a stage before let alone in front of live studio audience on National TV. They have absolutely no singing experience whatsoever. They really need to try and attract professional singers, actual gigging performers.

I mean this young one on here now is just awful. How did anyone in her family actually encourage her to go on National TV?

I don't mean that in a nasty way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Drag, but v good.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Im in the next room hearing all this,its amazing how bad a lot of these people are,even more amazing that the judges or what ever they are then think there good..muck

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

GNIB watch the voice?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another batch of mediocre performances but it's still great entertainment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Una didn't really want to be picked

Bressie getting deperate now. She wasn't even in tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Who's the blonde judge - not Kian ye gowls? She's hawt

testicle wrote: »
    Who's the blonde judge - not Kian ye gowls? She's hawt

Rachel Stevens, she was in S Club 7 or similar

Seriously, the sound is just terrible, RTÉ really need to sort it out because I'm not hearing what the judges are hearing!! (I'm listening through a sound bar).

Is it just me?

You have to assume they are leaving the best till last...he says optimisitically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Ultimate cringe TV. So bad that it's good.
    I see Westlife is trying desperately to cover up his rapidly balding crown. It's nearly a comb over from the back.

Missed it last week so when I saw him tonight I had the exact same thought:D
    He's not going to be able to do that for too long more so why not embrace it..

As I said didnt see it last week but thought tonight was poor except for the drag act...his voice was good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

The fella Luke is very good nice voice

Advertisement