Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin - commute to IFSC and Sandyford

Options
  • 03-01-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hello all,

I will be moving to Dublin, from Portugal, this month, and my girlfriend will join me soon.
    I received a very interesting offer, which I have accepted, and my girlfriend is currently on a ongoing process for an internal transfer within the company for which she works for.

We are looking to rent a modern/nice 2 bedroom (as it's more flexible than a 1 bedroom, and for the price differences we've seen we'd rather have the extra bedroom).

I would appreciate some advice on areas, as we are not entirely sure on which areas to look for.

My girlfriend will be working on a company based on the Sandyford Industrial Estate, whereas I will work in the IFSC.
    I would like to keep the commute at 1 hour max each way (for me), and 30 minutes at most for her. This limits our search to the southern area of Dublin.

To keep the commute reasonable, it seems I need to keep close to the Luas, or the DART (as google maps tells me there's a bus from Blackrock to Sandyford I.E.).

I have seen a few places on Dún Laoghaire, Blackrock, and around Sandyford (close to the Luas) and Dundrum.

Is there any area I should avoid, or are those areas nice?

We are looking to spend around 1500 eur monthly on rent (would prefer less, but from my search, the southern area seems rather expensive).

Thank you in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have a look at this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97832064

Dundrum and Sandyford are on the same Luas line

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

cromelex wrote: »
    We are looking to rent a modern/nice 2 bedroom (as it's more flexible than a 1 bedroom, and for the price differences we've seen we'd rather have the extra bedroom).

If I understand you correctly, you mean that on average a 2 bed costs says 15% more than a 1 bed in the same area/development, so because of that you want a 2 bed. But you don't need the second bed and this could potentially be limiting your search. You also want a place that is nice in a good area and below €1,500. You may find that by considering 1 beds as well you will find a very nice place in the area you want for less than the €1,500.

So just because on average the difference between one bed and two beds is a small percentage, if you are having difficulty finding what you want within budget and don't need the second bedroom, why not consider one beds?
    My girlfriend will be working on a company based on the Sandyford Industrial Estate, whereas I will work in the IFSC.
    I would like to keep the commute at 1 hour max each way (for me), and 30 minutes at most for her. This limits our search to the southern area of Dublin.

To keep the commute reasonable, it seems I need to keep close to the Luas, or the DART (as google maps tells me there's a bus from Blackrock to Sandyford I.E.).

How do you intend to commute? Public transport, driving, cycling, walking etc? How does she? Half an hour to Sandyford almost precludes driving there - traffic is awful there in the mornings and it could take half an hour to go from one side of the industrial estate to the other at 8.30am. So to cycle she could live anywhere within 5/10 miles depending on how fast she cycles which is all of South County Dublin, the City Centre and some parts of the North City (a fast cyclist could cycle from Glasnevin to Sandyford in under 30 mins).

To walk, she would really want to be in Sandyford, Dundrum, Ballally, Stillorgan, Foxrock, Leopardstown, maybe Blackrock or maybe parts of Rathfarnham if she's a fast walker.

To get reliable public transport, anywhere on the Green Luas line either side will get her there in 30 mins. I don't think it gets too packed before Sandyford going in, and going out in the mornings its fairly quiet. It's the reverse in the evenings.

There are two public buses that go through Sandyford, the 114 from Blackrock and the 75 from Tallaght/Dun Laoghaire. Both are infrequent and, IMO, unreliable.

So basically for her it is the Green Luas line, a 3 mile walk or a 5/10 mile cycle.

For you, you can get from most parts of the city to the city centre by bus in about an hour if you get it on time. The IFSC is a 5/10 minute walk from the city centre so anywhere should have a reasonable chance of getting you in within an hour. To be guaranteed to get there within an hour, you'd want to be either on the Dart line, the Red Luas or the Green Luas with no more than say 10 minutes walk to the stop. Or you could cycle in from most places or walk in from about 5 miles.

So you've lots of room to play with if one or both of you doesn't mind walking/cycling. However, if you both want to get public transport in, I'd recommend the Green Line luas.
    I have seen a few places on Dún Laoghaire, Blackrock, and around Sandyford (close to the Luas) and Dundrum.

All nice areas, although Dun Laoghaire -> Sandyford on the 75 bus in 30 mins might be optimistic.
    We are looking to spend around 1500 eur monthly on rent (would prefer less, but from my search, the southern area seems rather expensive).

For under €1,500, finding a nice 2 bed anywhere in Dublin, or any 2 bed in a nice area is not going to be that easy I'm afraid. It's crazy money, but the Dublin rental market is crazy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

First of all, thanks for the quick replies!
    If I understand you correctly, you mean that on average a 2 bed costs says 15% more than a 1 bed in the same area/development, so because of that you want a 2 bed. But you don't need the second bed and this could potentially be limiting your search. You also want a place that is nice in a good area and below €1,500. You may find that by considering 1 beds as well you will find a very nice place in the area you want for less than the €1,500.

So just because on average the difference between one bed and two beds is a small percentage, if you are having difficulty finding what you want within budget and don't need the second bedroom, why not consider one beds?

That's pretty much it. We are not excluding a 1 bed for now, but if the difference isn't too significant, we'd rather have a 2 beds, as it would allow friends and family to stay when visiting (over from Portugal).

How do you intend to commute? Public transport, driving, cycling, walking etc? How does she? Half an hour to Sandyford almost precludes driving there - traffic is awful there in the mornings and it could take half an hour to go from one side of the industrial estate to the other at 8.30am. So to cycle she could live anywhere within 5/10 miles depending on how fast she cycles which is all of South County Dublin, the City Centre and some parts of the North City (a fast cyclist could cycle from Glasnevin to Sandyford in under 30 mins).

To walk, she would really want to be in Sandyford, Dundrum, Ballally, Stillorgan, Foxrock, Leopardstown, maybe Blackrock or maybe parts of Rathfarnham if she's a fast walker.

To get reliable public transport, anywhere on the Green Luas line either side will get her there in 30 mins. I don't think it gets too packed before Sandyford going in, and going out in the mornings its fairly quiet. It's the reverse in the evenings.

There are two public buses that go through Sandyford, the 114 from Blackrock and the 75 from Tallaght/Dun Laoghaire. Both are infrequent and, IMO, unreliable.

So basically for her it is the Green Luas line, a 3 mile walk or a 5/10 mile cycle.

For you, you can get from most parts of the city to the city centre by bus in about an hour if you get it on time. The IFSC is a 5/10 minute walk from the city centre so anywhere should have a reasonable chance of getting you in within an hour. To be guaranteed to get there within an hour, you'd want to be either on the Dart line, the Red Luas or the Green Luas with no more than say 10 minutes walk to the stop. Or you could cycle in from most places or walk in from about 5 miles.

So you've lots of room to play with if one or both of you doesn't mind walking/cycling. However, if you both want to get public transport in, I'd recommend the Green Line luas.

(..)

All nice areas, although Dun Laoghaire -> Sandyford on the 75 bus in 30 mins might be optimistic.

Well, I forgot to mention that - assuming that we stay closer to her workplace

For me: Public transport
    For her: Public transport, walking or cycling.

I appreciate your feedback on the 114 and 75 buses - I am using google maps to find the commute times for public transport, unfortunately it really doesn't tell me how reliable the service is.
    I really wanted to make sure that we were looking in the right areas, and as per the above it seems we are.

For under €1,500, finding a nice 2 bed anywhere in Dublin, or any 2 bed in a nice area is not going to be that easy I'm afraid. It's crazy money, but the Dublin rental market is crazy at the moment.

Thank you very much for the helpful post.

I'm happy that the areas are nice, as we have seen a few offerings priced interestingly (ie, not too far from the €1,500). The amount isn't a hard limit, and I guess we will need to be flexible.

It really is a crazy market - but not unlike Lisbon, from where we are coming from. Well, at least not when we take the wages into account.

I will be flying in a week from today. I'll keep searching, and arrange a few visits - hopefully we will be able to find something we like within a decent price.

And thank you again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

stillorgan is worth looking in too.
    It is a different Luas line to the one that goes to the IFSC though.
    There is a green line and a red line.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    stillorgan is worth looking in too.
    It is a different Luas line to the one that goes to the IFSC though.
    There is a green line and a red line.

Hi,

Yes I understand that the Green line ends before the IFSC, but I'll either walk or catch a bus for the last bit of the trip.

At least Google Maps tells me it should be possible to do it under 1 hour (from around the Sandyford area to the IFSC).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cromelex wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes I understand that the Green line ends before the IFSC, but I'll either walk or catch a bus for the last bit of the trip.

At least Google Maps tells me it should be possible to do it under 1 hour (from around the Sandyford area to the IFSC).

Walking from the Green line to the IFSC will be at least 30 mins depending on where you are in the IFSC

You'd also need to get two busses, not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dublin991

Try Palmerstown you would have a better chance of finding a property with two bedrooms in your budget there are also plenty of buses to the city centre 26, 25a, 25b etc. Also the 18 bus route from Palmertown village runs directly to Sandyfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KungFuhrer

Lisbon isn't as crazy as Dublin right now, it's not only a question of price, as much as a shortage of supply in accommodation everywhere across the city.
    So finding a place will involve a lot of time and effort going to viewings to snap up a nice apartment, be prepared to show good references, especially if your gf still hasn't secured a job here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Dublin991 wrote: »
    Try Palmerstown you would have a better chance of finding a property with two bedrooms in your budget there are also plenty of buses to the city centre 26, 25a, 25b etc. Also the 18 bus route from Palmertown village runs directly to Sandyfort.

Does the 18 go to Sandymount rather than Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Sandymount, not Sandyford. The 18 doesn't go anywhere near Sandyford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The 11 runs to Sandyford, and through the city centre which would open up accomodation options hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Stheno wrote: »
    The 11 runs to Sandyford, and through the city centre which would open up accomodation options hugely

If you're not in a rush anywhere. It takes an eternity to get to Sandyford.

Stheno wrote: »
    Walking from the Green line to the IFSC will be at least 30 mins depending on where you are in the IFSC

You'd also need to get two busses, not one.

Google Maps tells me I could exit on Harcourt and take the 15A or 15B almost to the doorstep. From the timetables I was able to find, either should pass every 10 minutes?

Is this not correct, or is there a reason why I should avoid it?

Thanks

Thanks, will check.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gothic_doll

Have you considered Sandyford itself? The prices might be reasonable as it's comparatively far out/quite suburban.

If your girlfriend is working there, and you are working in town that would seem quite logical to me.

Whichever one of you gets home first will probably end up doing the first of the chores, e.g getting dinner on, cleaning etc. It might be more handy for your girlfriend, if she usually takes the responsibility at home.

Also not far from Dundrum which is very handy for shopping & restaurants.

The LUAS is extremely reliable of course and it looks like you could easily use that as your transport mode of choice from Sandyford into town. I.e You can go Sandyford on Green line to the last stop in town, and then walk to the Red line and take it to the Point. (apologies if I've got the location wrong for your new workplace, I just did a quick search).
    I -think- it would be around an hour in total for you, not 100% certain. The walk in between lines is around 15 mins.

The buses are not reliable at all, so I wouldn't even factor them in. Too many stressful mornings due to buses in Dublin in my experience.

I find the train very good on the whole, but you won't need that for your journeys in at all :).

Congratulations on the job, and best of luck on your move!

If you work out how often/ how many people will come to visit you when you are here, I'm not sure renting a 2 bed place is worth it.
    You could probably even pay a couple of nights in a hotel for your visitors yourself, it would work out cheaper than renting a 2 bed for the few nights you have visitors.

Also, you can use the Dublin bike scheme in the city, I had a lodger in my house, near Sandyford, who worked in the ifsc, he took the luas & then cycled the rest on the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Has to be Blackrock. Dart right to IFSC for you and bus to Sandyford for her.

The walk from the Luas for you once in town could be 30/40 mins in the rain depending where in ifsc you are.

Have you considered Sandyford itself? The prices might be reasonable as it's comparatively far out/quite suburban.

If your girlfriend is working there, and you are working in town that would seem quite logical to me.

We are, and we have been told that is it a nice area, so we are looking in the area as well.

The buses are not reliable at all, so I wouldn't even factor them in. Too many stressful mornings due to buses in Dublin in my experience.

Thanks for the tip. That's the same experience I had with buses in Lisbon. Sometimes they can work really well, and take 20 minutes, other times they take over an hour for the exact same route due to traffic or some other issue.

Congratulations on the job, and best of luck on your move!

Many thanks!
    bubblypop wrote: »
    If you work out how often/ how many people will come to visit you when you are here, I'm not sure renting a 2 bed place is worth it.
    You could probably even pay a couple of nights in a hotel for your visitors yourself, it would work out cheaper than renting a 2 bed for the few nights you have visitors.

Also, you can use the Dublin bike scheme in the city, I had a lodger in my house, near Sandyford, who worked in the ifsc, he took the luas & then cycled the rest on the bikes.

That is probably true, and this is why we haven't excluded a 1 bed.

I've checked the bike scheme in the city and it does seem like an interesting possibility. It's rather close and shouldn't take too long.
    ixus wrote: »
    Has to be Blackrock. Dart right to IFSC for you and bus to Sandyford for her.

The walk from the Luas for you once in town could be 30/40 mins in the rain depending where in ifsc you are.

Blackrock does seem to be an ideal location, as it would allow for a very reasonable commuting time ( as long as the bus is reliable enough for her).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

It's only a 10 minute cycle from the Luas terminal at St. Stephen's Green to the IFSC. The Dublin Bike card is €20 per year and ideal for any trip like this imo.

Advertisement