Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulk buy balls

• 03-01-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Seems like we're loosing a tennis ball on every walk these days.
    Does anyone know anywhere you can buy a bag of cheap tennis (like) balls for dogs?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ahhh.. those days when you lose a tennis ball nearly almost balance out with days where you find one... I call it Ball Karma :D

The cheapest ones I have found that don't fall apart when the dog looks at them are in Heaton's, they come on bags of 3 for €2. They used to do open baskets of loose tennis balls for 50c each, but I think seized on the demand for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

There were packets of 12 in maxi zoo for 6.99 in the run up to Christmas but I'm not sure if that was just a promotional price for the week that was in it.

TG1 wrote: »
    There were packets of 12 in maxi zoo for 6.99 in the run up to Christmas but I'm not sure if that was just a promotional price for the week that was in it.

Were these genuine tennis balls, or dog tennis balls? I ask, because the tennis balls sold by pet shops for dogs are hopeless... there's a seam around the middle of them that breaks and bursts the ball within moments.

DBB wrote: »
    Were these genuine tennis balls, or dog tennis balls? I ask, because the tennis balls sold by pet shops for dogs are hopeless... there's a seam around the middle of them that breaks and bursts the ball within moments.

Theyre the dog ones, karli is the brand I think! They've lasted since Christmas with our guy but to be fair his teeth aren't what they used to be so It's not much of a testament!

TG1 wrote: »
    Theyre the dog ones, karli is the brand I think! They've lasted since Christmas with our guy but to be fair his teeth aren't what they used to be so It's not much of a testament!

Lol, it is ridiculous how I have got to a point in my life where I could write a dissertation on tennis balls that are a good buy for dogs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Every so often if I'm buying stuff off sports direct I check the price of their tennis balls, sometimes they have great 3 packs on offer, sometimes they have the loose ones. Nothing at the moment though!

I used to get the loose ones in Heatons as well, and I'd always buy one of the small footballs for Coco, she loves a bigger than average ball and they're perfect if you let a bit of air out.

I find that in addition to being easily tearable, the dog ones don't bounce half as well either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

DBB wrote: »

They can't take a smack of a hurl either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tesco sell value ones in a block of 12 I think - I got some 6 years ago but haven't bought a tennis ball since and I think have some of the original 12 left! I actually donated 20 (washed and dried) tennis balls to the rescue collection box in the vets 2 weeks ago - all collected out of the river by Bailey over the last few months lol. There's tennis balls everywhere in the house, shed and car and we haven't paid a cent for one of them! mmwahahahaha :D I let them build up and donate them in a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

Do you know any tennis players? i work with a girl who plays tennis and she recently broke my heart telling me she had binned about 40 tennis balls that had been played with a little but weren't bouncy enough anymore.

Agree with DBB that most doggy tennis balls are a waste of money.

My guys love the kong squeaky balls, get them on Amazon for about €3 for a pack of 3 as an add on item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Ebay.

I bought a lot of about 20 last year, they're still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with 3dogs, find a local tennis club. They give the old balls that don't bounce as well to the juniors/kids first, and then when they're no good even for them they bin them. I've taken dozens of them for the search and rescue dogs I help train as they're always losing them up in the mountains as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

dealz or any pound shop should have packs , they also come with (not sure how to word it) a device for launching them if your throw isint much good like mine :D

pudzey101 wrote: »
    dealz or any pound shop should have packs , they also come with (not sure how to word it) a device for launching them if your throw isint much good like mine :D

We call it a flipper lol! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    We call it a flipper lol! :p

I call it a chuckit, or a ball launcher!
    But again, the tennis balls you get in Dealz, and with the flipper/chuckit/launcher are the ones that break in half when you look at them.
    Alun wrote: »
    I agree with 3dogs, find a local tennis club. They give the old balls that don't bounce as well to the juniors/kids first, and then when they're no good even for them they bin them.

LOl, I go to my local tennis courts as well, but I don't get the balls quite the same way... there's really heavy undergrowth around the courts, and I have a little spaniel x shih tsu who is a consummate tennis-ball-finder :D
    I send her into the undergrowth, she comes back with a ball, gives it to me, and away she goes again, she could be out of sight for quite a while... she has got herself and my other dogs hundreds of freebies over the years :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My dog is interested in tennis balls that squeak, so normal ones are ruled out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

The cheapest place I found for tennis balls that don't tear is heatons :) they had 20% off just before Christmas so stocked up from Santa!!! We call the thing from dealz a thrower but find the ball comes with it rips in a few minutes.
    We have a press for them as one of my girls is ball mad that she is only allowed them outside ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

We get the 12 pack of balls from Tescos, about 6 Euro. As our young Collie is mostly keen on chasing and retrieving rather than chewing they end up getting "lost" before they fall apart. We have an older dog who, occasionally, when she gets fed up of the other one rushing round like a lunatic, will grab the ball and chomp on it to burst it to end the madness. So these balls are not super strong. We call the "thing" the whacker stick! :)

Bixy wrote: »
    We get the 12 pack of balls from Tescos, about 6 Euro. As our young Collie is mostly keen on chasing and retrieving rather than chewing they end up getting "lost" before they fall apart. We have an older dog who, occasionally, when she gets fed up of the other one rushing round like a lunatic, will grab the ball and chomp on it to burst it to end the madness. So these balls are not super strong. We call the "thing" the whacker stick! :)

It was actually a dog in the park bursting tennis balls that made me start collecting them rather than letting him at them lol!! :D We've donated 50 so far :o the staff at the vets were more impressed with Bailey's crop of collected balls than the staff in the rescue centre I dropped the first box of 30 up to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

It was actually a dog in the park bursting tennis balls that made me start collecting them rather than letting him at them lol!! :D We've donated 50 so far :o the staff at the vets were more impressed with Bailey's crop of collected balls than the staff in the rescue centre I dropped the first box of 30 up to!

What do the vets do with them?

I could do with Bailey here, this thread got me counting and in the year Bob has lived with my parents I have bought 22 balls for him. I had to get more for Christmas because he had none left.

He doesn't take them on walks and doesn't really chew them anymore so they are all in the garden somewhere. Admittedly it's a big garden, but 22 lost in a year is ridiculous!

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    What do the vets do with them?

They have a big box in all their clinics since last month to donate food, toys, accessories etc which will be split up between local rescues they work with. I was able to donate a bag of toys too the other day and free up some space lol!

Advertisement