Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reoccurring faults

Options
  • 03-01-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I was hoping I could get some advice/clarity on here. Re a new car: A fault arose which was fixed. Happened a second time and fixed again. It has happened again and I will contact the supplier tomorrow. However, can I ask for either a replacement or my money back at this stage?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If it's been the same fault each time, then yes, you can decline further repairs and ask instead for a replacement or refund. Any repairs should be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Thanks Dudara,
    That's what I thought from researching it. I think what worries me most is either hassle from the dealer over a return or issues surrounding depreciation.
    Stressed at the thought of having to argue the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dudara wrote: »
    If it's been the same fault each time, then yes, you can decline further repairs and ask instead for a replacement or refund. Any repairs should be permanent.

Is there any actual limit inscribed in legislation, or just good practice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

I stand corrected but I think it is covered under the Sale of Goods Act 1893-1980.
    Source: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/media/Complaintoabusiness1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is there any actual limit inscribed in legislation, or just good practice ?

I'm pretty sure these is, although I can't put my finger to it right now. Essentially a repair must be permanent, or you can reject further repairs. This basically means that the 3-repair policy operated by mobile phone shops is unfair.

OP - I only just noticed that you updated your original post to refer to the purchase of a car. That does complicate things hugely as these are very high value items.

• Advertisement
Advertisement