Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scallop receipe

Options
  • 03-01-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

hi all,

in the evening time after work I usually cook my own version of a steak sandwich

steak obviously, baby sweetcorn, tomatoes, onion, plenty brown bread and some spicy chilli tomatoe sauce

new year and all that I want to expand my cooking skills

had scallops in a japenese restaurant in town a few mths ago, nicest fish I ever tasted, golf ball like scallops simply melted in my mouth

so question, whats a good scallop recipe that wil make a tasty feed

any other alternatives to a steak sandwich

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

1. Searing hot pan, no oil
    2. Scallops patted dry with kitchen towel
    3. Olive oil coating on both sides of the scallops
    4. Place on pan (as described above)
    5. Leave, untouched for 2 mins
    6. Turn
    7. Repeat

You now have very well cooked scallops, caramelised on both sides

what you serve with them is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

1. Searing hot pan, no oil
    2. Scallops patted dry with kitchen towel
    3. Olive oil coating on both sides of the scallops
    4. Place on pan (as described above)
    5. Leave, untouched for 2 mins
    6. Turn
    7. Repeat

You now have very well cooked scallops, caramelised on both sides

what you serve with them is another story.

thanks for the above

whats usually served with fish dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I like with a bit of chilli or garlic, and butter rather than olive oil in the pan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Black pudding goes lovely with scallop..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Seared scallops - you can't bate them!

Maybe with a little walnut or hazelnut butter, but no need for a heavy sauce.

Btw, if you like scallops, try a bit of monkfish tail :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

aidanki wrote: »
    thanks for the above

whats usually served with fish dishes

Not being short with you at all, but a myriad of sauces are out there for fish so v. difficult to say- tell us a bit more about the occasion/other food you're serving etc and we'll find you the right serving. :)

you could eat what I described above with just a bit of sea salt,lemon, black pepper on it's own- as a starter, you could serve with a garlic mayo- you could place them into a nice pasta dish- just tell us some more about the meal you want to create.:)

Not being short with you at all, but a myriad of sauces are out there for fish so v. difficult to say- tell us a bit more about the occasion/other food you're serving etc and we'll find you the right serving. :)

you could eat what I described above with just a bit of sea salt,lemon, black pepper on it's own- as a starter, you could serve with a garlic mayo- you could place them into a nice pasta dish- just tell us some more about the meal you want to create.:)

I had the scallops originally as a starter just as you describe, nicest thing I ever ate I think

but I want to create a main course, so I want either rice or noodles or pasta with sauce and some vegetables I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Coquille san Jacques is a beautiful main course although not the healthiest due to the cream and cheese...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Youtube a recipe. You get the recipe and a demonstration. Cant go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

On Christmas day we had scallops on top of pieces of black pudding with drop of pesto on top. Very nice

• Advertisement

annascott wrote: »
    Coquille san Jacques is a beautiful main course although not the healthiest due to the cream and cheese...

http://www.food.com/recipe/coquille-st-jacques-scallops-77500

this looks good & doesn't seem overly complex, can serve with toasty brown bread

questions what to substitue for bay leave & what to substitute for paprika

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Scallops also lend themselves very well to acid curing. Try this recipe but swap out the fish for the same weight in scallops
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1853678/ceviche

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm always of the opinion that shellfish, particularly scallops, need nothing more than frying in butter and being served on some crusty bread with a squeeze of lemon. Mmmm, want some scallops now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I had scallops in a little bistro in Weymouth over the summer and they were so so good I hunted down the recipe....which just happened to be from the chef at the bistro! These are simply sublime. And when you propose to me after you've tasted them I'm going to have to refuse as I'm already married but you are very welcome!!!! :D

http://leeatkins88.blogspot.ie/2013/08/scallops-and-chorizo-in-garlic-cream.html

Merkin wrote: »
    I had scallops in a little bistro in Weymouth over the summer and they were so so good I hunted down the recipe....which just happened to be from the chef at the bistro! These are simply sublime. And when you propose to me after you've tasted them I'm going to have to refuse as I'm already married but you are very welcome!!!! :D

http://leeatkins88.blogspot.ie/2013/08/scallops-and-chorizo-in-garlic-cream.html

Was this recipe a starter or main course ?

It was in a bistro and served with crusty bread so it wasn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I had the scallops originally as a starter just as you describe, nicest thing I ever ate I think

but I want to create a main course, so I want either rice or noodles or pasta with sauce and some vegetables I think

Scallops, oven roast tomatoes, roquette, spaghetti. Halve the tomatoes and place on a baking tray, season with sea salt and pepper, add a good slurp of olive oil and some large slivers of garlic. Roast the tomatoes for an hour at 160c. These keep well in the fridge.

Cook the pasta, pan fry the scallops with a little garlic, then add a knob of butter and the roast tomatoes. Cook to warm the tomatoes and add the cooked pasta. Toss the pasta in the pan juices and finally add the roquette to wilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

aidanki wrote:

Would you not just buy them and use them? Both are extremely cheap and extremely versatile.

If you substitute them it will completely alter the dish.

what shop would have bay leaves, never heard of it, don't think dunnes or tesco would have it

paprika after some searching seems thats available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

what shop would have bay leaves, never heard of it, don't think dunnes or tesco would have it

All decent sized supermarkets will have bay leaves. Sharwoods sell them in boxes. You'll find them beside the dried herbs. I have bought Paprika in every supermarket - Tesco, SV, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi & Centra.

Any largish supermarket will have them in the herb section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Both Tesco and Dunnes stock these. They are usually on the bottom shelve of the spice rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gots to have black pudding with Scallops and a Pea puree.

Its 'class'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're both very common ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Forget the Bay Leafs, This is a simple dish im a big fan of keeping the tastes simple.

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/1007/745812-pan-seared-scallops-on-black-pudding-mint-pea-puree-chilli-oil-dressing/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

listermint wrote:
    Forget the Bay Leafs, This is a simple dish im a big fan of keeping the tastes simple.

No offence to you or the OP but if he doesn't have bay leaves or paprika I also highly doubt he has shallots, chillies or chilli oil.

Helpful and civil posts only please. Having a go at a poster for a gap in their knowledge is not in line with the spirit of the forum, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

http://whattocooktoday.com/30-minute-meals-pan-fried-scallops-with-sweet-chilli-rice-and-greens.html

The OP mentioned putting scallops with rice or noodles so here's one I like from Jamie Oliver. It's quick to make and filling, a good way I think to enjoy scallops as a main dish. Personally I put in a bit less sesame oil as I find it quite a strong taste.

If you're looking to expand your cooking repertoire I don't think you can go wrong with Jamie. His recipes are straightforward and he has plenty of quick, tasty dishes to try out. The "how to" videos on his website or YouTube channel are good too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement