Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debra Wicklow Mountains Challenge Half Marathon 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Looking forward to this.

Been doing a bit, but only around 25 miles a week. Gonna do Conn Marathon, but for a laugh and to keep an eye on weight tbh and not for a time or anything like that. These hills will stand to me :)

The letter with race number suggests we car pool as space is at a premium up there [& 800 folks due to take part]. I was just going to bus or train to Rathdrum and taxi, but thought to ask here? I live in Clontarf, but can make it around the city if someone was driving and needed company [& coffee purchaser / petrol contributor :D!]

Hi Vaggabond. Im driving from Ballybough on the morning, can take you there and back. Send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Tomorrow

Tomorrow Sunday will be mainly dry day, with a mix of cloudy periods and occasional bright or sunny spells once again. Top temperatures 10 to 12 C., highest inland, in light to moderate east to southeasterly breezes.

Ace!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Unfortunately, I can't do the half tomorrow so on the off chance that anybody needs a number, pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Fantastic race today...perfect weather...beautiful route...really well marked/organised...water in bottles....jellies...not as tough as I was expecting but really enjoyable.
    Couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

fletch wrote: »
    Fantastic race today...perfect weather...beautiful route...really well marked/organised...water in bottles....jellies...not as tough as I was expecting but really enjoyable.
    Couldn't fault it.

Have to agree it all of the above. Fantastic day and well run event for great cause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Brilliant day. Tough enough but my first time doing a mountain course.
    Downhills were nearly worse than the uphills cos it's so hard to control it.
    I'll never complain about congestion again after waiting to cross some of the stiles today :)
    The scenery was absolutely breath taking. When you crest the wicklow gap and that huge downhill into glendalough is spread out before you - wow!!!
    Spilts went from 15:02 to 7: 11 :)

Anyone any advice on how to get these tattoo transfers off? I've 2 on my face and they're not budging...can't go into work in the morning like this :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Congratulations to everyone who did this today, sorry I couldn't make it in the end, but I'd probably still be out there if I did...

And great time for the winner, who I'm guessing might be our very own Demfad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

iancairns wrote: »
    Have to agree it all of the above. Fantastic day and well run event for great cause

+1, I agree with almost all (but it certainly was much harder than I expected)... I thought the race was impeccably organized, I was just raging to see several participants disregard the request not to litter the course. :(

• Advertisement

I also noticed a lot of people weren't carrying a jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, I think lack of training [& wrong training for that matter, I don't think flat miles on Clontarf seafront help all that much in a bog or up/down a mountain]! The excess weight & a tough course made that the hardest event I have ever done. I was physically in bits after 5 or 6 miles. I just pulled the pin at that point and walked most of the second hill, and all the last one. The other times I was trotting along.

That being all said, loved it. Totally different from boring old flat road races. Where do I sign up for next year :) Brilliantly organised, and a wonderful cause. The scenery was fantastic [when I was not in agony and could take it in!!!] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

That being all said, loved it. Totally different from boring old flat road races. Where do I sign up for next year :):D

Why wait until next year? There are plenty of IMRA races you can run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

nop98 wrote: »
    +1, I agree with almost all (but it certainly was much harder than I expected)... I thought the race was impeccably organized, I was just raging to see several participants disregard the request not to litter the course. :(

Either give them an ear bashing, or note their number and report it at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

That was my first Half Marathon & First Trail run, in bits today but well worth it.

I had trained on hills in Ardgillan Castle & the phoenix park but nothing prepared me for that terrain!

Looking forward to doing a road half marathon now which will hopefully be dead easy by comparison.

Lots of photographer's yesterday - anyone know where these pics will be posted? Nothing on the Debra Ireland website yet.

revileandy wrote: »
    Lots of photographer's yesterday - anyone know where these pics will be posted? Nothing on the Debra Ireland website yet.
    Some here and here

Advertisement