Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cannot run firefox

Options
  • 03-01-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I have a PC, did not use for a while and when try to open firefox the attached image appears. I have uninstalled and reinstalled?
    Any ideas?
    With thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

After uninstalling make sure no files or folders relating to Firefox remain on your machine, then try reinstalling.

There may be an old profile which is unreadable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Try waterfox.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

FSL wrote: »
    After uninstalling make sure no files or folders relating to Firefox remain on your machine, then try reinstalling.

There may be an old profile which is unreadable.

How do I find this and delete it?

Try waterfox.

I have used firefox for years and it behaves really well. If I can keep it working I will.

I thought you were just telling a really bad joke "waterfox" unstead or firefox....I really feel ignorant at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

First thing to try is to refresh Firefox. Hold shift while starting it and you should get that option.

Alternatively, hit Windows Key + R to get the run command dialog, then type in: firefox.exe -P
    This should bring up the profile manager where you can delete any corrupt profiles.

Be aware if you delete a profile you'll lose all history and bookmarks associated with it.

• Advertisement

maki wrote: »
    First thing to try is to refresh Firefox. Hold shift while starting it and you should get that option.

Alternatively, hit Windows Key + R to get the run command dialog, then type in: firefox.exe -P
    This should bring up the profile manager where you can delete any corrupt profiles.

Be aware if you delete a profile you'll lose all history and bookmarks associated with it.

I tried the first method (Shift etc ) and still the same box comes up.

firefox.exe -P doesn't see to work either (see attachment).

Any other ideas or am I doing something wrong.....REALLY ANNOYING....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

work wrote: »
    I tried the first method (Shift etc ) and still the same box comes up.

firefox.exe -P doesn't see to work either (see attachment).

Any other ideas or am I doing something wrong.....REALLY ANNOYING....

From the screenshot you typed firefox.exe-p

You need to make sure there is a space after .exe
    eg firefox -p (there is no need to even use .exe

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Navigate to the following folder location on your C: drive:
    C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Make sure "Show Hidden files & folders" is enabled under Folder options. A quick way to get to the AppData Roaming folder is to type Windows key + R and type %appdata% followed by enter.
    Make sure firefox is fully closed and move the <randomletters>.default folder to another location. The next time you start Firefox it will recreate the profile.

Nick

Advertisement