Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY electrical evening/night course

• 04-01-2016 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know of an evening/night training course that covers the basics of DIY electrical in the home - like rewiring lights and extending socket outlets for example?

Thanks,
    JFG
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look on nightcourses.com. Your main problem is the majority of basic electrical jobs in the home can now only be done by a registered electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Have a look on nightcourses.com. Your main problem is the majority of basic electrical jobs in the home can now only be done by a registered electrician.

Hiya
    Yes, I had a look there but the only one relevant was
    House maintenance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi,
    Does anyone know of an evening/night training course that covers the basics of DIY electrical in the home - like rewiring lights and extending socket outlets for example?

Thanks,
    JFG

These two words should never be put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

Thanks,
    JFG

B&Q offer you can do it workshops on different topics. They did an electrical one at one point in time, I'm not sure if they still offer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭cletus

aido79 wrote: »
    These two words should never be put together.

Is there not scope for somebody to learn to wire a plug, change a socket, switch light fittings?

The op is not looking to do a pro rewiring job on his house, just mundane day to day things that you, me and thousands if others do daily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

cletus wrote: »
    Is there not scope for somebody to learn to wire a plug, change a socket, switch light fittings?

The op is not looking to do a pro rewiring job on his house, just mundane day to day things that you, me and thousands if others do daily

Sparkys get very militant about anyone touching electrics, and RECI have terrified insurers/course providers so everyone avoids it now. Its gone way overboard now IMO. When was the last fatality from wiring a plug for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

gutteruu wrote: »
    Sparkys get very militant about anyone touching electrics, and RECI have terrified insurers/course providers so everyone avoids it now. Its gone way overboard now IMO. When was the last fatality from wiring a plug for example.

http://worcesterobserver.co.uk/news/wrongly-wired-lamp-killed-pensioner-inquest-hears-4198/

The reason why everything now comes with a plug top

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/01/31/world/mere-plug-at-the-wire-s-end-in-england-that-s-progress.html
    It seems that many Britons have never mastered the knack of putting on plugs. According to Government figures, between 1980 and 1989, 2,900 people required hospital treatment as a result of injuries caused by incorrectly wired plugs; in the 1980-88 period, 32 people died because of faulty plugs or plug-wiring problems. There Used to Be a Reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

In 1982 the population of Britain was 56.31 million. 0.005% of them over ten years injured themselves. Darwinism.

As for 32 dead, that's small enough as to be statistically insignificant. Certainly not reason to employ a sparks to put a dimmer switch in your sitting room

In 1982 the population of Britain was 56.31 million. 0.005% of them over ten years injured themselves. Darwinism.

As for 32 dead, that's small enough as to be statistically insignificant. Certainly not reason to employ a sparks to put a dimmer switch in your sitting room

But it's not just those who wire the plugs that get killed or injured so it's not really Darwinism.

The main problem with electricity is that it's very easy to make something work even though it's dangerous. E.g fitting a brass dimmer switch with no earth, it will work..until it develops a fault that will make the switch live, shocking anyone who touches it.

I once stayed with a guy who had built on a kitchen, he did everything except the plumbing as he was afraid of water leaking. :rolleyes:
    There was at least one dangerous fault in his wiring, I didn't inspect it, just going by what he told me he had done, hopefully it has never caused a fatality or injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Those figures are miniscule in relation to the whole industry. If you used the fire risk issue then maybe. You can block your own walls, roof your own house, install high pressure heating systems but if you go near a plug the sparkys are calling foul. In terms of danger its way down the list.

In relation to quality of work, I have seen more dodgy sparks than any other trade. The celtic tiger produced too many 'I can wire a house but thats it' "electricians" which is unfortunate as the older guys are very clued in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭thebiglad

B&Q used to run 'basic' workshops on DIY & Home at their Liffey Valley store - not sure if they are still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

But it's not just those who wire the plugs that get killed or injured so it's not really Darwinism.

The main problem with electricity is that it's very easy to make something work even though it's dangerous. E.g fitting a brass dimmer switch with no earth, it will work..until it develops a fault that will make the switch live, shocking anyone who touches it.

I once stayed with a guy who had built on a kitchen, he did everything except the plumbing as he was afraid of water leaking. :rolleyes:
    There was at least one dangerous fault in his wiring, I didn't inspect it, just going by what he told me he had done, hopefully it has never caused a fatality or injury.

This thread has taken a turn :)

Firstly, anyone is allowed wire a plug. So the whole "who ever killed themselves wiring a plug" discussion is slightly mute.

Secondly, the numbers in that article (which was written in 1992) look even worse if you take them in the context that the article was written.

The article was written (and those numbers presented) in relation to Britain bringing in legislation that electrical products must be sold with a plug. Previously it was common that the plug was optional, meaning people were put in a position where they HAD to wire a plug.
    Nowadays, this is not an issue, kids can go an entire lifetime without having to change a plug, so those figures are obsolete :)

Now, wrg to what a person is allowed to do in the home nowadays.... I believe a competent person is allowed to change existing fittings - i.e. switches, light fittings, sockets.
    I'm not sure whether they are allowed to add extra sockets onto an existing circuit.
    And they definitely cant do anything that involves them needing to go near the fuseboard.
    Ask this on the electrical forum and you'll get a more definitive answer.

A course that the OP describes will most probably make him a "competent person".

I presume your a sparks. What would you charge to change a plug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Jimmy_M wrote: »
    This thread has taken a turn :)

The leccy advice threads always do. I remember a time around here when people would offer knowledgeable advice first, obviously to include a warning relating to the individuals competence and then it's up to the person seeking the advice to evaluate their ability as to whether they attempt a mod/repair or call in help.

Those days are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I doubt you'll find a course for light electrical work. It's illegal for anyone except a registered electrical contractor to do most electrical work in the home. This law is about 2years old now. This law is very strict. Even qualified electricians can't work on a fuse box unless they are a registered electrical contractor. Penalties range from fines to jail.

If a moderator moves this to the electrical forum you'll get better advice

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I doubt you'll find a course for light electrical work. It's illegal for anyone except a registered electrical contractor to do most electrical work in the home. This law is about 2years old now. This law is very strict. Even qualified electricians can't work on a fuse box unless they are a registered electrical contractor. Penalties range from fines to jail.

If a moderator moves this to the electrical forum you'll get better advice

Yes, the law did change,but you are allowed to do minor electrical works.
    This is one the minor electrical courses
    http://metac.ie/electrical-safetyminor-works/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

agusta wrote:
    Yes, the law did change,but you are allowed to do minor electrical works. This is one the minor electrical courses

agusta wrote:
    Yes, the law did change,but you are allowed to do minor electrical works. This is one the minor electrical courses

Wow! 500 Euro, you'd want to be doing a lot of diy electrical work just to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

"Although it is not a legal requirement that these minor electrical works be completed by a Registered Electrical Contractor, it is important that minor electrical works are in compliance with the National Wiring Rules and from a safety perspective it is important that these works
    only be completed by competent individuals."

Safe Electric - Minor Works

Gutteruu asked when was the last fatality from wiring a plug top. The link I found showed one from last year, admittedly in the UK. That was the first one I found with a Google search.

I primarily work in industrial environments so I don't get to "charge" for changing a plugtop. However I doubt anyone would get rich fitting plugtops as it has been a long time since I last had to fit one at home.

Minor works are defined in the regulations

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/si/264/made/en/pdf
    Minor electrical works including the replacement of an electrical accessory such as a light switch, the replacement or relocation of a light fitting where the existing circuit is retained, the provision of an additional socket to an existing radial circuit, or electrical works which do not require the issuance of a completion certificate under section 9D of the Act.

The quoted course is aimed at appliance repair men and those involved in general house maintenance (handymen?) who may need to replace a socket or light switch etc.
    Over the last year I can count on one hand the amount of sockets, switches, plugs etc that I have changed for various family members so I can't see many DIYers spending three days and €495 to do that course.

• Advertisement

Gutteruu asked when was the last fatality from wiring a plug top. The link I found showed one from last year, admittedly in the UK. That was the first one I found with a Google search.

I primarily work in industrial environments so I don't get to "charge" for changing a plugtop. However I doubt anyone would get rich fitting plugtops as it has been a long time since I last had to fit one at home.

Minor works are defined in the regulations

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/si/264/made/en/pdf

The quoted course is aimed at appliance repair men and those involved in general house maintenance (handymen?) who may need to replace a socket or light switch etc.
    Over the last year I can count on one hand the amount of sockets, switches, plugs etc that I have changed for various family members so I can't see many DIYers spending three days and €495 to do that course.

Apologies, I assumed you were in agreement with the sentiment that diy and electrical should never go together.

I agree you would not get rich changing plugs, in fact I'd go further and say you couldn't get a sparks to come to your house to do such a job.

There are fewer opportunities to do things like plugs etc, however my o/h's love of all things IKEA has kept me relatively busy with light fittings

B&Q offer you can do it workshops on different topics. They did an electrical one at one point in time, I'm not sure if they still offer it.

Hiya. Thanks, I didn't know they offered courses. I checked their website but unfortunately they are only offered in the UK and NI :-(

agusta wrote: »

Thanks for that - I've contacted them to ask exactly what's covered in module 4 under "installing electrical fittings".

thebiglad wrote: »
    B&Q used to run 'basic' workshops on DIY & Home at their Liffey Valley store - not sure if they are still going.

Hiya. Someone posted that a few minutes earlier - looks like they don't - only held in the UK & NI now, it seems.

Thanks for that - I've contacted them to ask exactly what's covered in module 4 under "installing electrical fittings".

What did they say...

agusta wrote: »
    What did they say...

Sorry - I meant that I've emailed them just now (20:00 Thursday). I'll post their reply if I get one.

Apologies, I assumed you were in agreement with the sentiment that diy and electrical should never go together.

I agree you would not get rich changing plugs, in fact I'd go further and say you couldn't get a sparks to come to your house to do such a job.

There are fewer opportunities to do things like plugs etc, however my o/h's love of all things IKEA has kept me relatively busy with light fittings

Hi. I can easily wire a plug and change a light fitting. I would like to be able to add a new socket into a room (branching off an existing loop I suppose) and rewire a light fitting (it still has that 40+ year-old "grey" wiring). From the sounds of things, these are classified as "minor works" so I wouldn't mind going on a course to learn that, especially since you suggest it would be difficult getting a qualified sparky out for such things.

Hi. I can easily wire a plug and change a light fitting. I would like to be able to add a new socket into a room (branching off an existing loop I suppose) and rewire a light fitting (it still has that 40+ year-old "grey" wiring). From the sounds of things, these are classified as "minor works" so I wouldn't mind going on a course to learn that, especially since you suggest it would be difficult getting a qualified sparky out for such things.

You can only add a socket to a radial circuit...not to a ring circuit.

If your house hasn't been rewired for 40+years you should really consider having a periodic inspection carried out.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get someone to do even small jobs these days, there isn't a building boom just yet.

You can only add a socket to a radial circuit...not to a ring circuit.

If your house hasn't been rewired for 40+years you should really consider having a periodic inspection carried out.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get someone to do even small jobs these days, there isn't a building boom just yet.

Radical circuit...ring circuit, see this is the kind of stuff I want to learn - I have no idea of the difference :)

The house was rewired a few years ago. For some reason this light - the main kitchen one :confused: - was forgotten.

I've sent an email off to metac.ie that someone posted on the thread - I'll see what they offer. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Radical circuit...ring circuit, see this is the kind of stuff I want to learn - I have no idea of the difference :)

The house was rewired a few years ago. For some reason this light - the main kitchen one :confused: - was forgotten.

I've sent an email off to metac.ie that someone posted on the thread - I'll see what they offer. Thanks.

A ring circuit has a link back to the mcb from the last socket...a radial doesn't. That's the only real difference. In each case each socket is just looped from one socket to the next.

Advertisement