Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

south east coast surf v kite surfing

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I've been toying for a good while now about doing some watersport. I think I am more inclined to start with KiteSurfing , but there are lots of things pushing to Surfing.

So I a fairly sensitive to price, and feel the initial investment needed for kitesurfing is quite high. Correct me if I am wrong here. about 200-300 for training and then about 700 for a cheap second hand kite setup. So for surfing it looks to be about half that at least.

I am based in Gorey, and from checking around I am between two surfing schools, in Brittas and Curracloe, Hooked in Duncannon is the closest for kitesurfing. I like the idea of a community around the sport (suppose all beginners would) , and havnt been able to find much of regarding kitesurfing in the surrounding area (open to correction here).

I was nearly set on surfing, but was talking to 2 young surfers on Ballymoney beaching this morning and were not very enthusiastic on east coast surf, and with my lack of exp wasnt sure how good bad it really is. wasnt sure if they were local but talked about conditions in Kerry. Trips to the west for me would be far and few between.

interested in any critiques or advice to help steer a decision, before lining up an investment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Do lessons and see if you like either of them.

You seem to be basing your decision on cost rather than on something you have any experience or enjoyment of.

I know plenty of people who have done a lesson and have decided surfing isn;t for them. Some don't like the cold, others don't like getting tumbled around by waves etc

I have no idea about kite surfing but east coast surf isn't consistent and driving west is necessary when you want waves every weekend.

Kayaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Surfing in the east coast isn't really an option. Tramore would be the closet beach with regular waves. Kitesurfing is suited to your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

@zoobizoo yup just found wicklowkiteboarding.com and going to give them a shout

@ted1 right, I wasnt too sure if the young guys were on the money but from reading these forms and, you agreeing, basically has confirmed it in my head.

thanks guys ..

I more than likely will give surfing a try also as you state zoobie, but will initially start with hte kitesurfing and see how it goes.

Advertisement