Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPhone 6s model number help please

• 04-01-2016 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

I've googled it and am a bit confused so maybe someone here can assist, I am considering a second hand 6s and the seller is saying it was bought as a gift from apple UK instore, what model number should this be ? It's just the regular 6s and not the plus version, he doesn't have a reciept as it was a gift.
    Thanks for your input in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

A1688.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Be careful OP. You don't want to be lamded with a handset that was got on a contract or as an insurance replacement.
    I'd be ringing the store with the IMEI to verify that it's kosher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

Zcott wrote: »
    A1688.

Thanks for the reply

long_b wrote: »
    Be careful OP. You don't want to be lamded with a handset that was got on a contract or as an insurance replacement.
    I'd be ringing the store with the IMEI to verify that it's kosher

Thanks for the heads up long_b I totally forgot about that, the seller is saying it was bought sim free from apple UK and was a gift to him, am I in a position to clarify this as he doesn't have a reciept ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Never buy a second hand iPhone that you can't see or be able to read the body language of the seller. it's _way_ too risky*.

Even if the IMEI is kosher, there's nothing stopping them blacklisting it after you've bought it until one day it just stops working.

* note i'm not saying not to buy second hand at all.

• Advertisement

Never buy a second hand iPhone that you can't see or be able to read the body language of the seller. it's _way_ too risky*.

Even if the IMEI is kosher, there's nothing stopping them blacklisting it after you've bought it until one day it just stops working.

* note i'm not saying not to buy second hand at all.

Thanks creamy goodness, in to meet the chap later and I'm a fairly good judge of character but then again people today can easily con you too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thanks creamy goodness, in to meet the chap later and I'm a fairly good judge of character but then again people today can easily con you too

I don't know if the same scam goes on in Dublin as does up this end of the country where people meet to view/buy an iPhone, check their own sim in the phone and are happy the phone works so remove the sim again and hand the phone back to the seller to put in its box. The seller then swaps the legit phone for a fake or broken phone and hands the buyer the box and takes the cash.

I was buying a phone for my sister a few months back, I was a bit dubious about the seller who had a very 'distinct' accent. I asked if I could try my own sim and was told no problem. I then said to seller, if I'm satisfied the phone works and is legit, I am NOT handing you back the phone again, I'll give you the cash. Is that ok? To be answered eith a half assed emmmm...yeah ok. Anyway he didn't turn up and the number wasn't in service when I tried to ring an hour later.

Just beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭The Reader

Funny I was thinking off buying an IPhone 5S 16 GB at Cex second hand for €480 and Groupon has an IPhone 5 16 GB for sale at €279.99 . What should one do.

I don't know if the same scam goes on in Dublin as does up this end of the country where people meet to view/buy an iPhone, check their own sim in the phone and are happy the phone works so remove the sim again and hand the phone back to the seller to put in its box. The seller then swaps the legit phone for a fake or broken phone and hands the buyer the box and takes the cash.

I was buying a phone for my sister a few months back, I was a bit dubious about the seller who had a very 'distinct' accent. I asked if I could try my own sim and was told no problem. I then said to seller, if I'm satisfied the phone works and is legit, I am NOT handing you back the phone again, I'll give you the cash. Is that ok? To be answered eith a half assed emmmm...yeah ok. Anyway he didn't turn up and the number wasn't in service when I tried to ring an hour later.

Just beware.

Wow that's crazy, having contacted the seller by text re my concerns he has declined to reply so I think I've either insulted him though I was polite and asked if he could reassure me but alas he hasn't replied so I think I've made a wise call not to proceed,
    Thanks to all who have contributed there experience and thoughts on my thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Zcott wrote: »
    A1688.

If it's an unlocked phone and iCloud is removed you're ok as bill pay phones don't come unlocked. They are either bought unlocked from Apple or have met the provider's contractual term requirements for unlocking. However anything locked to a service provider gives cause for concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The Reader wrote: »
    Funny I was thinking off buying an IPhone 5S 16 GB at Cex second hand for €480 and Groupon has an IPhone 5 16 GB for sale at €279.99 . What should one do.

If you have 480 take a look at the sister site here, adverts.ie. You might even get a decent 6 if you haggle well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭The Reader

Many Thanks Naasrd thats an interesting point of view

Advertisement