Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol (as a physical addiction?) book recommendations?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

ok, so I think I had a bit of a scare with Alcohol before xmas.. I started getting symptoms of physical addiction without actively (in my mind at least) addicted to alcohol. I always thought that you had to be drinking a serious amount in order to become an addict - and that you would have cravings etc before physical signs of addiction.

Anyway I am gonna get checked out - bloods etc - see where the lie of the land is.

I am also gonna abstain for the foreseeable future.

In the mean time, can anyone recommend some books I could read? I am not sure what I am looking for - something about the addiction - so I understand it? or a biography? or if there is anything that any of ye have read that has really opened your eyes to the dangers of Alcohol?

I am wondering if I have a genetic predisposition to Alcohol intolerance or something? (my aunt became an alcoholic - only started drinking in late 60's - started using whiskey to help her sleep - she became addicted really fast - to a bottle a day - she is ok now).

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

the national history of alcoholism by george e vaillant

the cure for alcoholism by dr roy eskapa....this really gets into how people become alcoholic and how their minds work

on a lighter note

dead drunk by paul garrigan

the lost weekend by charles r. jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭penovine

the national history of alcoholism by george e vaillant

the cure for alcoholism by dr roy eskapa....this really gets into how people become alcoholic and how their minds work

on a lighter note

dead drunk by paul garrigan

the lost weekend by charles r. jackson

great thanks for that - i will enjoy looking into them and getting one..
    I am particularly interested in getting one that explains how one can become physically addicted without drinking excessively..
    I am looking forward to this abstinence - to see the possible changes - better sleep, mood, energy.. engaging in life in general.. and all the other changes I do not know of..

I might be kidding myself - this is alll new for me... but hey, if nothing, this life makes you learn.. thats for sure.. but i feel i am in the right ish frame of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

You could always read The Big Book of AA for free while you're searching, The Doctor's Opinion by Dr. Silkworth might be of interest:

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_foreworddoctorsopinion.pdf

i think i would prefer not to go with the AA.. but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

penovine wrote: »
    i think i would prefer not to go with the AA.. but thanks

That's your call and completely understandable. I myself will hopefully be reading some of the above. I have read some of the big book and it is interesting. I don't believe in God but I do attend some aa meetings for support etc. but I don't buy in to the higher power stuff but some of the reading was okay. Must Google some of the suggestions above tomorrow!!

• Advertisement

thanks for that...

I looked up the above suggestions - the biog's look a bit hard core - looking for something a bit more subtle..

I might try the roy eskapa one though just for clarification on the disease itself - and from my little knowledge i really am starting to think that it is a disease - i mean, alcoholism is in my family - and i got symptoms without drinking excessively.. but i could be wrong - as i said, i am so new to this..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Well to me it is a disease as I definitely didn't chose to be an alcoholic :)

There is/was also alcoholics in my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

thanks for that...

I looked up the above suggestions - the biog's look a bit hard core - looking for something a bit more subtle..

I might try the roy eskapa one though just for clarification on the disease itself - and from my little knowledge i really am starting to think that it is a disease - i mean, alcoholism is in my family - and i got symptoms without drinking excessively.. but i could be wrong - as i said, i am so new to this..

theres a free pdf of it online,personally i dont agree its a disease some people are more predisposed to it through genes,though doctors pefer to offer the disease model to alcoholics as just like diabetes its up to the patient to manage it.the book explains how alcoholism is a strenghtening of the reward sytem in the brain,a sip of alcohol is different for an alcoholic than a normal drinker,far more of an "ah" factor.whats interesting in the book is that alcoholic lab rats when the source of alcohol was taken away and then reintroduced a few days later,binged even harder,the same can be seen in alcoholics who resume drinking,its called alcohol deprivation effect,the longer the period of sobriey cravings actually increase until relapse,rinse and repeat.

when the lab rats were administered an opiod antagonist like naltrexone or nalmafene theyre consumption decreased drastically until they remained abstinent.why? an opiod antagonist blocks the pleasurable effects or high from drinking,keep repeating this and the brain begins a process called pharmalogical extinction which eventually rewires the brain to a pre-alcoholic state.it works like a pavlovs dogs effect.just like pavlovs dogs who when they heard a bell ringing would know food was on the way would salivate,but when he started ringing the bell and producing no food for the dogs eventually they learned to ignore the ringing bell.

so.. i went for therapy today - to an Alcohol counsellor.. the long and short of it.. he told me that I don't have a drink prob - well - I am not al alcoholic..

I gave him the low down on all my issues,, and he reckons that its predominantly anxiety.. but that alcohol is making it worse.. and also the fact that perhaps I have a v low tolerance to alcohol - and that i am v petite..

So he referred me to a psychotherapist.. to work on my mental/emotional issues - and advised to look after myself physically (and spiritually)..

He advised to abstain for Jan - so I am gonna do that..

I had planned on doing that but I was away for the weekend and have a blip - had 3 beers (was in a situation i did not expect - was very anxious and yep - i cracked)..

He said no need to go to the doc - but i think I will..

I mean, he is just a counsellor - he was very good - but I just wanna check my bloods..

But i have to work on my anxiety.

I am still not convinced - I am baffled by how I got physical symptoms like that without drinking the head off myself.. it felt like more than anxiety; maybe the anxiety compounded the effects of alcohol and vica versa

so.. i went for therapy today - to an Alcohol counsellor.. the long and short of it.. he told me that I don't have a drink prob - well - I am not al alcoholic..

I gave him the low down on all my issues,, and he reckons that its predominantly anxiety.. but that alcohol is making it worse.. and also the fact that perhaps I have a v low tolerance to alcohol - and that i am v petite..

So he referred me to a psychotherapist.. to work on my mental/emotional issues - and advised to look after myself physically (and spiritually)..

He advised to abstain for Jan - so I am gonna do that..

I had planned on doing that but I was away for the weekend and have a blip - had 3 beers (was in a situation i did not expect - was very anxious and yep - i cracked)..

He said no need to go to the doc - but i think I will..

I mean, he is just a counsellor - he was very good - but I just wanna check my bloods..

But i have to work on my anxiety also though

but I am baffled by how I got physical symptoms like that without drinking the head off myself.. it felt like more than anxiety; maybe the anxiety compounded the effects of alcohol and vica versa - wud like to get bloods checked anyway

ok i am not an alcoholic but i defo have a bad relationship with it - have to stop using it as a crutch... its defo making the anxiety/depression worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

ok, so I think I had a bit of a scare with Alcohol before xmas.. I started getting symptoms of physical addiction without actively (in my mind at least) addicted to alcohol.

I don't really understand what you mean by this?

What are symptoms of physical addiction to alcohol? Do you mean you were close to liver failure?

I don't really understand what you mean by this?

What are symptoms of physical addiction to alcohol? Do you mean you were close to liver failure?

sweating at night, palpatations, tremor, strange movement (jerky).. strange muscle sensations, frequent urination.. insatiable thirst, broken sleep, awful anxiety/depression..

sweating at night, palpatations, tremor, strange movement (jerky).. strange muscle sensations, frequent urination.. insatiable thirst, broken sleep, awful anxiety/depression..

Oh, I'm sorry, I really didn't know what you meant.

Why would you think those symptoms meant you were an alcoholic?

Oh, I'm sorry, I really didn't know what you meant.

Why would you think those symptoms meant you were an alcoholic?

check out a thread i created on 23/12/15 "am i having alcohol withdrawals?"

sorry i can't insert the link - apparently its cos I am new

check out a thread i created on 23/12/15 "am i having alcohol withdrawals?"

sorry i can't insert the link - apparently its cos I am new

Oh yes it makes more sense now.

I would not be looking to physical issues as some kind of proof of "alcoholism". Im not an alcoholic but I would be very ill if I had more than 5-6 drinks. So there would be physical symptoms post alcoholic consumption, but that doesnt point to being an alcoholic.

Id be more inclined to look at behaviour. Alcoholics "use" alcohol differently to non alcoholics. You could be a very heavy drinker but not an alcoholic. A lot of alcoholics are the last to agree they have a problem - denial is very strong.

Its a complex area. Im glad you have sought some medical attention if it was worrying you though.

I do think itd be a good idea to talk to your GP, best of luck.

Oh yes it makes more sense now.

I would not be looking to physical issues as some kind of proof of "alcoholism". Im not an alcoholic but I would be very ill if I had more than 5-6 drinks. So there would be physical symptoms post alcoholic consumption, but that doesnt point to being an alcoholic.

Id be more inclined to look at behaviour. Alcoholics "use" alcohol differently to non alcoholics. You could be a very heavy drinker but not an alcoholic. A lot of alcoholics are the last to agree they have a problem - denial is very strong.

Its a complex area. Im glad you have sought some medical attention if it was worrying you though.

I do think itd be a good idea to talk to your GP, best of luck.

ok - thanks for that..

do you mean behaviour with regards to why you drink as oppose to what you do when you drink? i don't really do anything weird when i drink except perhaps raid the fridge..

i developed a pattern of drinking from loneliness and as a way to cope with anxiety.. and just as a way to relax.. and then it became as a reward for stuff..

i am reluctant to go to my GP about this as i am ashamed..

i will see how i go..

i am gonna stay off it for the rest of Jan anyway.. fingers crossed..

do you mean behaviour with regards to why you drink as oppose to what you do when you drink? i don't really do anything weird when i drink except perhaps raid the fridge..

Both really. My father reached for a drink immediately to cope with any stress, upset, bad news, good news(!), to relax, to cope. But equally when he was drinking, he was always last to leave a party or pub, he always wanted to buy more to drink at home after the party or pub, he was quite aggressive with drink on him (not at all without). In retrospect his alcoholism was clear from his 20s. He had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and many people were uncomfortable in his presence when drinking because he always wanted more and more and more. He couldnt ever just have 2 or 3 drinks - the concept simply didnt exist. Every time he drank he wanted to drink to excess.
    i developed a pattern of drinking from loneliness and as a way to cope with anxiety.. and just as a way to relax.. and then it became as a reward for stuff..

Yes, its very common. I think it can actually make anxiousness worse though. So while its relaxing while its happening, next day youd feel worse than if you hadnt drank at all. Probably guilty too.
    i am reluctant to go to my GP about this as i am ashamed..

Absolutely no reason for you to feel this way at all. GPs are (a) well used to seeing alcohol related issues (b) well used to seeing people forced into them by family/friends who are refusing to even acknowledge there is an issue (c) would have people coming in who had done terrible things under the influence of drink and/or drugs - just being a bit concerned that you are drinking too much would be very mild to a GP.

Besides which, the only thing to be ashamed of is NOT helping yourself when you have a chance to. Its not you who should be ashamed, its alcoholics who are wrecking their own and other peoples lives and refusing to get help! Getting help is a good thing, a thing to be proud of!!

Both really. My father reached for a drink immediately to cope with any stress, upset, bad news, good news(!), to relax, to cope. But equally when he was drinking, he was always last to leave a party or pub, he always wanted to buy more to drink at home after the party or pub, he was quite aggressive with drink on him (not at all without). In retrospect his alcoholism was clear from his 20s. He had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and many people were uncomfortable in his presence when drinking because he always wanted more and more and more. He couldnt ever just have 2 or 3 drinks - the concept simply didnt exist. Every time he drank he wanted to drink to excess.

Yes, its very common. I think it can actually make anxiousness worse though. So while its relaxing while its happening, next day youd feel worse than if you hadnt drank at all. Probably guilty too.

Absolutely no reason for you to feel this way at all. GPs are (a) well used to seeing alcohol related issues (b) well used to seeing people forced into them by family/friends who are refusing to even acknowledge there is an issue (c) would have people coming in who had done terrible things under the influence of drink and/or drugs - just being a bit concerned that you are drinking too much would be very mild to a GP.

Besides which, the only thing to be ashamed of is NOT helping yourself when you have a chance to. Its not you who should be ashamed, its alcoholics who are wrecking their own and other peoples lives and refusing to get help! Getting help is a good thing, a thing to be proud of!!

thanks for the reply.
    sorry to hear about your Dad; I myself don't look for more and more drink..
    TBH I have been aware of how alcohol affects me mentally for quite some time.. era even the fact that it prevents one from totally engaging in life - and I hate the shame on a hangover and the lack of energy.
    But I reason for this intervention is because of how I suspect it has been affecting me physically.
    Thing is, I don't feel the need to go to the doc now.. as I feel almost normal.. (still some funny sensations in my muscles during exercise, and I feel the cold so much)..
    I know I should not feel ashamed but I do; my doc knows a lot about me and I feel ashamed to have to go to him about this, in the light of my other problems.. like, I really should not be drinking at all probably giving my mental health situation (nothing clinical, just reactive depression)..

But I think I will go to see him - get bloods checked (wanna check nutrient levels as worried my diet is not balanced enough).. and then if anything comes up we can go from there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Very good post and informative ,I can relate to nearly all of the above issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

Hi OP,

It sounds like you are not interested in AA at the moment. Living Sober is a good read. It is an AA publication though.

All the best,
    Twibbles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement