Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic inside my Linda Mc Carthy pie.

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

On Wednesday 23/12/2015 my wife and I was eating one of linda mc carthys cheese and leek platis for dinner. When she started to choke on a piece of the platis. I ran over and slapped her on the back. She coughed up a big piece of PLASTIC that came from inside the pie. If I wasn't there I don't want to think what might of happened to my wife. I was once a lover of this food but do not feel safe eating this food anymore. I want everyone to know what can be found inside linda mc carthys food so they too will stop eating this food.

Has this happend anyone before with any other pies and food. if so what did they do. let me know what i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Who is this Linda McCarthy person?!! LOL!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved from Food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Do you still have the receipt?
    Do you still have the piece of plastic?
    Did you complain at the shop you bought in?
    Did you phone/write or email the company using the details supplied on the box?
    Did you're wife attend hospital or a doctor to get checked over?

If the answer is no to all of these you've let nearly 2 weeks go at this stage which won't help any redress but you can still seek it.
    You're lesson may be; just because it's endorsed by a "celebrity" doesn't make it safe or healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Foreign objects can and are being found in a wide variety of ready-made foods not just from a particular brand. There are a number of threads here which report anything from hair, plastic, stones, insects, screws etc.

I suggest you bring the wrapping with the batch numbers and report it to the shop. Even at this late stage it may give them the opportunity to remove any remaining stock from the shelves as a precaution. The shop will likely replace or refund you for the item.
    Then you could report it to the manufacturer (the shop may already do this) so they can check batches too. You'll no doubt get a sincere written apology and probably product vouchers or similar by way of apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@Posters, stay on topic please. A number of AH-style posts have been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,851 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What sort of plastic was it? Are you sure it wasn't just a piece of the plastic wrapper that fell in when you removed it before cooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Foreign objects can and are being found in a wide variety of ready-made foods not just from a particular brand. There are a number of threads here which report anything from hair, plastic, stones, insects, screws etc.

I suggest you bring the wrapping with the batch numbers and report it to the shop. Even at this late stage it may give them the opportunity to remove any remaining stock from the shelves as a precaution. The shop will likely replace or refund you for the item.
    Then you could report it to the manufacturer (the shop may already do this) so they can check batches too. You'll no doubt get a sincere written apology and probably product vouchers or similar by way of apology.

Apology and vouchers my eye! Assuming OP's story is correct he should be talking to a solicitor. His story isn't just about developing a phobia. I'd have some bloody phobia if I were choking, not sure if I was going to live or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Something similar happened to me with a HB Maxi Twist tub years ago. I found a half inch shard of hard, sharp plastic in the ice cream which appeared to be part of a lid, even though the lid of my tub was intact. I wrote to them and they sent me a €15 cheque and an apology letter promising to review the packaging. They introduced new lids a couple of months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

bought some choc today luxury brand they were there own brand choc coins gave them to my daughter to try she opened the foil and there was like black lump in it brought it back to thortons to complain they said it looked like burnt choc had got into mix left my name and no with shop any idea what happens now will they contact me to let me know what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

sandra06 wrote: »
    bought some choc today luxury brand they were there own brand choc coins gave them to my daughter to try she opened the foil and there was like black lump in it brought it back to thortons to complain they said it looked like burnt choc had got into mix left my name and no with shop any idea what happens now will they contact me to let me know what it was

They may contact you to offer you some vouchers, box of chocolates or some other apologetic token.
    It's unlikely they'll deviate from the "burnt chocolate" story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

feargale wrote: »
    Apology and vouchers my eye! Assuming OP's story is correct he should be talking to a solicitor. His story isn't just about developing a phobia. I'd have some bloody phobia if I were choking, not sure if I was going to live or die.

I see compo culture is alive and well,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Or the Daily Mail.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

In fairness this kind of thing can happen with any food made in a factory, sometimes systems fail. Write to the company and tell them what happened so that they can look at their systems.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I see compo culture is alive and well,

Not so much as the slave mind. There's no compo culture in China, Iran or Saudi Arabia. In those paradises if you're seen talking to a lawyer you could be in big trouble, and so could the lawyer.
    Or the Daily Mail.:rolleyes:

I don't read the Daily Mail and have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Perhaps, as an apparent reader of the Daily Mail, you might enlighten us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Get in touch with them. It's most likely just a manufacturing glitch like some ingredient was being added as a plastic lid fell in or something like that.

It's very unlikely to be anything nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not so much as the slave mind. There's no compo culture in China, Iran or Saudi Arabia. In those paradises if you're seen talking to a lawyer you could be in big trouble, and so could the lawyer.

I'm not sure I've seen such a deranged post here recently

No lawyer would take a case for this as in absence of injury there is no case

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've seen such a deranged post here recently

No lawyer would take a case for this as in absence of injury there is no case

When you're done with your psychological analysis would you read OP if you haven't already done so, or read it again if you have.
    dj_louth wrote: »
    On Wednesday 23/12/2015 my wife and I was eating one of linda mc carthys cheese and leek platis for dinner. When she started to choke on a piece of the platis. I ran over and slapped her on the back. She coughed up a big piece of PLASTIC that came from inside the pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When you're done with your osychological analysis would you read OP if you haven't already done so, or read it again if you have.

No injury in there. Not choking is not an injury

Even if there had been some extremely minor injury from it, turning up over two weeks out with no medical attention sought and no ability to prove anything medically would have you laughed out of the solicitors office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I love it when everyone gets all legal... I'll just leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donoghue_v_Stevenson

Nervous Shock is an injury, so laughed out is perhaps overstating it.

That said food contamination is very common and should not be unexpected. If ya didnt come across a piece of plastic big enough to chocke on during mastication you need more chews :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I don't read the Daily Mail and have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Perhaps, as an apparent reader of the Daily Mail, you might enlighten us.

As a fan of overreacting you would enjoy it, highly recommended.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

This happened to my Mum once, they apologised and sent her a cheque for a few quid, it was probably £20 which was a small amount but enough of an apology for something that probably happens more than you would imagine. Its the things they you don't see in food that I would be more worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@feargale and ben.schlomo - do not continue this tit for tat on thread.

dudara

Advertisement