Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pick a good site for a house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

davo10 wrote: »
    You can, but you have to pay all costs associated with the planning application which can run into thousands in architects fees, ridge profiles, percolation tests etc etc. If the application is unsuccessful then you don't buy the site, but you are significantly out of pocket so it is also a gamble.

You're going to have to pay an architect anyway and perform the various tests. The council aren't going to designate land that you can build any house you'd like on and perform percolation tests for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

hurikane wrote: »
    You're going to have to pay an architect anyway and perform the various tests. The council aren't going to designate land that you can build any house you'd like on and perform percolation tests for you.

I think you are missing the point. You said to buy a site subject to planning takes the"gamble" out of it, but you are still gambling a substantial amount on the planning fees. Yes you spend the fees on a site you know you have a chance of getting planning for, but if you are not from the area and a local development plan (nationwide) obstructs "outsiders" from obtaining planning then the odds are against you.

Also, the house plans for one site may not suit another do it is not a case where a one off fee buys you plans that can be used everywhere, each new site probably requires a new set of house plans.

davo10 wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point. You said to buy a site subject to planning takes the"gamble" out of it, but you are still gambling a substantial amount on the planning fees. Yes you spend the fees on a site you know you have a chance of getting planning for, but if you are not from the area and a local development plan (nationwide) obstructs "outsiders" from obtaining planning then the odds are against you.

Also, the house plans for one site may not suit another do it is not a case where a one off fee buys you plans that can be used everywhere, each new site probably requires a new set of house plans.

Im not missing the point at all. I've been through this myself. I got an engineer and architect on-board, struck a deal with them 50% up front and 50% when the planning was granted. We identified a couple of potential sites and bought subject to planning. I qualified under local needs and the deal was if we couldn't get planning on the first site we'd try another and keep trying until we got a site that planning was possible on. I had a good local architect and eng and they were confident id get the planning on the first site and I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Almost all towns and villages have lands zoned for development by individuals. Its just that the individuals who own the land, may not want to sell it to other individuals to develop the land at a price the potential purchaser thinks is appropriate.
    The land is either zoned residential or otherwise. It is never reserved for one off development or serviced site provision as I am suggesting. Let's say a farmer owns 5 hectares adjacent to a village. If he wanted to sell those 5 hectares for development, he'd be obliged to let say 50% be sold to the local authority at a set rate (say double agricultural land rate) and the remaining 50% he could sell to a developer at whatever rate he wanted. If he wasn't happy with that, the land would simply remain zoned for agricultural use and nothing would ever be built on it.

Ultimately the developer will offer enough that the farmer accepts he deal and goes ahead.

Or alternatively, zone land around villages for residential development and see what the market does. Here in Germany it is quite common for an earthworks company to buy a couple of hectares and then lay out roads and other services and sell off individual serviced sites to private persons who then go and build there own home. Another model is that a builder will buy a smaller site, say 1 hectare and divide up into 10 sites and sell them off, with the proviso that he gets to build your house, but to your specifications.

The Irish way of either apartments or houses in estates or one off houses in the corners of fields miles from anywhere are not the only ways to build housing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think (and it is just an opinion and free advice and should be taken in that spirit) that if a person is not a construction or real estate or finance professional of some sort or don't have some access to special knowledge or are not wealthy they should not buy a site and build their own home. It is just too difficult. There are too many things to learn and understand. The risk is massive. If the person doesn't have special knowledge the cost will inevitably end up much higher than buying something of a similar standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

So I need to look for the local need provisions. When it comes to planning are there guidelines in the local county council which will limit the type of house you are able to construct?

Any advice on how to find out about getting services to a site and the costs of that?

Is a square site best or does it simple depend on the type of house and garden that you want?

There hasn't really been much discussed apart from housing needs and that the government is a shambles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

First of all, find a site that is for sale, there is no point doing anything else until you find one. When you find one you like, consider the price, ask yourself are you happy with it.

Then make an appointment to see the planner for that area, bring a photo/print out if the type of house you want to build (there are lots of websites with house plans or tak a photo of a house you like and print it). Ask him/her if you are likely to get planning and if the house is acceptable. The planner will straight up tell you if you are wasting your time but will NOT tell you that planning definitely will be granted as this is a casual meeting. All areas have a development plan which favours locals over outsiders, it is not just certain areas with needs.

The planners are there to advise you as well as make the decision, some really appreciate the applicant coming in before the process begins as it saves time, stress and often, disputes. They know the area, what fits and what doesn't and what is likely to pass smoothly. If he/she tells you that you are up against it then you are probably wasting time and money.

If you are serious at all about this the first thing you need to do is confirm you qualify for planning in the area - local needs / section 47. Then get yourself a good local architect / agent.

A good agent will provide invaluable advice to an applicant when considering a planning application. They will provide advice on County Development Plan policies, site selection, house design, effluent disposal, water supply and traffic issues. They should also identify the major issues in advance that may relate to a particular site.

Taken from the pre planning section on the WCC website

wicklow.ie/pre-planning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In most rural area,s it cheaper to buy an old house than buy a site and build a new house.
    Even an old house ,will have the connections for esb ,and water .
    my friend bought an old house, knocked it down,
    built a 3 storey house on the old foundations .
    new house is 40 per larger than the old one.5 bedrooms ,3 bathrooms.

riclad wrote: »
    In most rural area,s it cheaper to buy an old house than buy a site and build a new house.
    Even an old house ,will have the connections for esb ,and water .
    my friend bought an old house, knocked it down,
    built a 3 storey house on the old foundations .
    new house is 40 per larger than the old one.5 bedrooms ,3 bathrooms.

Can't see how that is cheaper, did your friend break down the costs for you?

It's a concept know by some as "bungalow gobbling". Often done by people who don't qualify for planning in a certain area. All examples I have seen have worked out a lot more expensive than starting with a green field site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

OK what i mean its cheaper to buy a small old house,
    modernise it or make it larger.
    Than to build a new house from scratch ,on a site that does not have esb, or water supplys.

my friend is well off,
    he just wanted a site with a few acres of land ,
    to build a new house on of his own design,with 5 bedrooms .
    so he bought old house ,in a rural area , with 2 acres of land .
    not far from athlone.
    he was not trying to save money .

Advertisement