Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth dropping from Higher to Ordinary?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

At the moment, I do 7 higher level subjects. In both my 5th Year Christmas and Summer tests, I got 480. I didn't count Irish for either of them. I've only ever gotten Cs in Irish and I find it very time-consuming as the only way I can do well in the exam is if I learn off all my essays.

Should I drop from higher to ordinary? I'm hoping to get at least 500 points and I feel like I could concentrate a lot more on my other subjects and bring up my grades if I did but at the same time I'm unsure in case one of my other exams goes awful on the day and Irish is my only backup.
    A friend of mine dropped one of his subjects to ordinary. One of his higher level exams went badly on the day and he regretted it. He still got crazy high points but I wouldn't be as studious as him and this is the only thing holding me back from dropping. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on the points you need. If you need (say) 480 and can get it easily without the Irish, then drop, but if you need higher points and the breathing space seven higher subjects gives you, then stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shluachra

If one of your higher level exams does go badly on the day, the points you will lose are likely to be less than the points you are losing by spending a lot of time on higher level Irish. So I would drop to ordinary Irish if I were you.

That's unless you want to be a primary school teacher in Ireland in which case you require higher Irish grade C3.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I would definitely drop. If you haven't counted Irish in any of your exams up until now, there's a very good chance that you won't be counting it for the LC either - if a C turns out to be your lowest grade consistently then you will more than likely be well able to get good grades in your other subjects. There's a huge difference between higher and ordinary level Irish for the LC and if you are capable of getting a C in HL you will have to do barely any work to get a good grade at OL, which will be a huge load off your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

I would drop it also. I wish I had.

Advertisement