Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to solve flood crisis

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We should turn wind farms into giant fan blowers and keep the rain clouds out at sea.
    roverrules wrote: »
    And if we powered the fans with hydroelectricity we could have a use for any excess water that did make it here.

As we've clearly cracked it I think a €10 million consultancy budget for us seems reasonable. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Listening to Newstalk this morning, Ivan Yates interviewed a Dutch engineer. Lots of people recently have been calling for more engineering, more flood defences, more dredging, and get the Dutch in, they're the experts at preventing flooding. Well this guy outlined how they have gone away from hard defences and engineering, with their "Room for the River" project for the Rhine, where they are re-establishing floodplains to give the river room to flood when it rises, establishing side channels to take some of the pressure, and relocating residents of the re-established floodplains and flood-prone areas. NOT building more dykes and NOT dredging more - working with the river rather than fighting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heard that, I posted above - move people, plant trees and let nature take its course. No point in fighting a major river every step of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are also issues that are very little to do with the weather, and everything to do with bad, or corrupt, or inappropriate planning permissions, or a total lack of proper management of the infrastructure by the relevant departments of the local authorities,
    This is basically the bottom line. Our planning authorities should be used for the misuse of the word planning. They obsess over the most trivial details when you go for planning, and then let people build in the most unsuitable places.

Problem is I don't see anything changing anytime soon. Our government is too focused on playing the people to further their career. I can't even listen to some new up and coming telling us how they'll do this and that. How could they possibly be any good when they're coming into an unknown? How can they genuinely make any promises when they have no more information than the rest of us?

I really think we have to educate the next generation to fix these problems, I just don't think we have it in us, we're too stuck in our ways, we're not willing to make the necessary sacrifices, we don't have the education or skill sets to even sit at a table and discuss issues, never mind fix them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭macraignil

Zzippy wrote: »
    Listening to Newstalk this morning, Ivan Yates interviewed a Dutch engineer. Lots of people recently have been calling for more engineering, more flood defences, more dredging, and get the Dutch in, they're the experts at preventing flooding. Well this guy outlined how they have gone away from hard defences and engineering, with their "Room for the River" project for the Rhine, where they are re-establishing floodplains to give the river room to flood when it rises, establishing side channels to take some of the pressure, and relocating residents of the re-established floodplains and flood-prone areas. NOT building more dykes and NOT dredging more - working with the river rather than fighting it.

I saw the RTE news story on the same project in Holland. Would anybody know if the Killaloe to Limerick canal could be widened to allow increased flow of water out of the Shannon basin in times of flood in a similar way?
    I guess dredging the river below this channel would be needed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

macraignil wrote: »
    I saw the RTE news story on the same project in Holland. Would anybody know if the Killaloe to Limerick canal could be widened to allow increased flow of water out of the Shannon basin in times of flood in a similar way?
    I guess dredging the river below this channel would be needed as well.

saw that also, was very interesting. It was some project. A guy i do a bit of business with in holland told me they have also relocated some farmers below this so they can flood the land purposely in times of flooding .
    They have in the past built a dam wall with flood gates across the osterschelde and during times of threat they close this at low tide to prevent water levels being added to by the tide in the outer reaches of the estuaries and they have pumps pumping the water out to sea over the dykes

Advertisement