Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I kicked the habit

• 04-01-2016 4:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

fter being a smoker of 20 - 30 cigarettes a day for over 7 years, and after several serious chest infections caused by smoking, I finally decided to quit. I tried several times but without success. The main reason I failed was that every time I went to the shop or pub, and if I had no cigarettes, I would always end up buying some.
    What I started doing then was that I made sure I had just enough money with me to buy what I needed in the shop, whether it was groceries, or just a packet of sweets at the shop or a drink at the pub. I found it difficult at first to leave the house, when I had no cigarettes, without taking enough money with me to buy some along with whatever necessities I needed.
    But, as time went by, I found it getting easier and easier to not take money for cigarettes with me. Eventually, I broke free of the disgusting habit and, some 28 years later, I'm still smoke-free, and I have no regrets at all. In fact I believe that if I didn't quit when I did, I would probably be in my grave today.
    I hope this story might be of use to someone who is trying to kick the habit and I say
    "WELL DONE" to those who have and I wish all those who are trying to do so every success and never to say "I'll never be able to do it". YOU CAN AND YOU WILL.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

Great post! Love hearing stories about how people kicked the habit

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

yeahhh!! good stuff buddy just the inspiration myself and others here need!

Advertisement