Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading to Mirrorless

• 04-01-2016 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi Folks,

Are there many mirrorless camera users out there?

I currently use a Nikon D610 with Nikkor 24-120 F4 and I'm thinking of upgrading.
    I have read lots of reviews on mirrorless cameras but I'm still not sure if I should make the jump. The cameras that have come to mind are the Sony A7 ii / Fujifilm X-T1 / Olympus OMD-EM1.

Is there professional glass that produces similar images to nikkor pro 2.8 lenses.

I am also thinking should I wait a few months to see if any newer models are released (Fujifilm X-T2)???

Let me know your thoughts if you are happy with the mirrorless system.

I would shoot landscapes \ portraits \ family https://500px.com/daviemcadam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I use a Sony A7RII + A7II combo professionally. I was a Canon DSLR shooter for years (5DmkIII + 5DmkII), and also had various Fujifilm cameras for a while (X-T1, X100T, X-E1).

The A7RII is probably the best camera I've ever owned to be honest. The A7II is pretty great as well. The native Zeiss lenses are gorgeous for the most part.

The Fujifilm cameras are great to use. Small and light, but the tech inside of them is a year or so behind. The sensors do not resolve details very well in my opinion, so I moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

I saw a comparsion nikon d4 with 70-200 vr vs omd m1 with zuiko 75 1.8 and olympus images way sharper.(studio shoots)
    I think whatever you will pick from sony or olympus You can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 maxie

Hi folks,

thanks for replying. I am leaning towards Sony A7ii, but I was also looking at the a7r but the r doesn't have 5 stage axis and the AF isn't great on the R, I would love the a7r but I can't afford it and my wife will kill me :-)

I was also looking at m4/3 but as I currently shoot full frame I think I'll stay with it.

Thanks for helping me choose

• Registered Users Posts: 39 maxie

Hi Gloobag,
    Quick one if you dont mind, I am trying to choose glass for the A7ii. Do you use the Zeiss 24-70 FE F4? It doesn't seem to be getting good reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

maxie wrote: »
    Hi Gloobag,
    Quick one if you dont mind, I am trying to choose glass for the A7ii. Do you use the Zeiss 24-70 FE F4? It doesn't seem to be getting good reviews.

I have no experience with that particular lens, but it's not great by all accounts.

I have the Zeiss 35mm f2.8, Zeiss 55mm f1.8, and I'm waiting on a Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 to arrive at the moment (I'm using an adapted Canon 85mm f1.2 in the meantime). I know for my own uses, that those three lenses will be all I will need, and each of them is fantastic in my opinion.

Sony are supposed to be announcing some new lenses in the next month or so. 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 and a few others, although I'd imagine these will be pricey enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Friend has Sony and Zeiss 24-70 FE F4. Zeiss 24-70 FE F4 is a real lemon. Plasticky, wobbly when extended, crazy distortion, poor sharpness. Terrible terrible lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

sorry to jump in but I have been very amateur DSLR user for years but my camera is knackered and needs replacement after 50,000+ family photos over last 7-8 years and no longer working very well. I have been fascinated by mirrorless for a while now as the platform really appeals to me mostly due to the small size of the cameras. I just made the switch and ordered a Sony ILCE5000L (only £248.99 on Amazon.co.uk). It is arriving on Friday so can let you know how it works out.

Advertisement