Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Kids

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pwurple wrote: »
    Do you have to drink it, or rub it on something?

Would be fairly unpleasant to do either I'd say.

And I fail to see how cider vinegar can tell the difference between the 'bad bacteria' and the benign (essential) microbiome that make up the majority of our biomass (they outnumber our own human genetic material by 100 to 1)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Akrasia wrote: »
    And I fail to see how cider vinegar can tell the difference between the 'bad bacteria' and the benign (essential) microbiome that make up the majority of our biomass (they outnumber our own human genetic material by 100 to 1)

Cider vinegar is a common old country remedy I think.

But I'm still trying to figure out how you'd give it to a kid or baby.:confused: My child hates anything vinegary or tangy so I'd probably be wearing whatever I tried to administer as it'd be spat back at me instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Akrasia wrote: »

Wait, you mean we need to 'alkalise' our bodies instead. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pwurple wrote: »
    Wait, you mean we need to 'alkalise' our bodies instead. :pac:

Anything we do has to get rid of them pesky free radicals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Thought we had escaped this year but alas we seem to have fallen at the last hurdle :(
    3.5 yr old woke early last Monday morning getting sick with a temp of 38.5 which Nueofen was barely taking down. Temp came down a little Tuesday but stopped eating & couldn't keep any fluids down so ended up in hospital on a drip on Wednesday for dehydration after a GPS referral.
    The hospital said he had a viral respiratory infection.
    Slightly better on Thursday after the fluids, still not eating great, a horrible cough & having periods of being very tired but he's drinking more & keeping it down.
    Horrible bug whatever it is, recovery is very slow :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Never mind the baby I've never had as many colds as this year! We're both sick again. This is my fourth this year. I am a teacher and asthmatic so I do tend to get them but its usually one or two a year not 4 within half a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

This has been the worst winter for my son so far. Viral coughs , flu three weeks
    ago now he is battling chest infection and pnuemonia. I cannot wait for the spring. I feel so sorry for him :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Second child has chicken pox now and she's having s tough time with it. Until my first got chicken pox 2 weeks ago we've been very fortunate to avoid all this bugs and viruses. The two previous winters were a disaster though. Constantly out of work/crèche with every virus going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Second child has chicken pox now and she's having s tough time with it. Until my first got chicken pox 2 weeks ago we've been very fortunate to avoid all this bugs and viruses. The two previous winters were a disaster though. Constantly out of work/crèche with every virus going.

The chicken pox vaccine and the meningitis b vaccine are on my doorstep list for politicians. We paid for them privately, but it's ridiculous that common diseases which are preventable and which cost people a fortune in lost work are not in public the vaccine schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Chicken pox vaccine is a no brainer. Ours have come through I don't know how many breakouts safely. I don't know why more gps don't recommend it or see it as something that's a rite of passage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We are using the anti viral medicine for her and I think she would be a lot more sick without it. Her temp has been 38-40 since Friday but she's in reasonably good form. My gp didn't recommend the vaccine and I really never got around to doing it else where. We are finished with it now thankfully. I just heard about that men b vaccine recently so want to ask the gp about it. That's something we definitely have to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

lazygal wrote: »
    Chicken pox vaccine is a no brainer. Ours have come through I don't know how many breakouts safely. I don't know why more gps don't recommend it or see it as something that's a rite of passage.
    i think its a matter of cost, to be honest i didn't even know it existed until after our first 2 had the bloody thing. number 3 is definitely getting it. our 2 got it really bad and were in a terrible way for a week.

Advertisement