Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Lucan

Options
  • 04-01-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Myself and my Fiancée are looking at areas to buy our first home and Lucan seems to tick all the boxes so far.
    Anyone know what the general area is like? We would love to buy near the village but there doesn't seem to be many houses available there at present.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are completely new to this search:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Myself and my Fiancée are looking at areas to buy our first home and Lucan seems to tick all the boxes so far.
    Anyone know what the general area is like? We would love to buy near the village but there doesn't seem to be many houses available there at present.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are completely new to this search:-)

I live in Lucan and have done for the past 5 years. I like it here. I lived in Blanchardstown before hand and much prefer it here.
    My estate is an older more established one and it is pretty quiet which I like. The bus stops outside our estate and we are within an easy walk to Super Valu and a slightly longer one to Tesco. It's approx 1/1.5km to the village and we have often walked down for a bite to eat in the Tea Rooms or one of the pubs. The area is also very close to an excellent road network and so is handy for lots of areas work wise.
    The traffic in the village can be a killer from what I see, especially on a Friday and just before and after school time due to drop off and collections. That doesn't affect me and my commute to work though as I'm gone by then.

PM me if you'd like more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I live in Lucan and have done for the past 5 years. I like it here. I lived in Blanchardstown before hand and much prefer it here.
    My estate is an older more established one and it is pretty quiet which I like. The bus stops outside our estate and we are within an easy walk to Super Valu and a slightly longer one to Tesco. It's approx 1/1.5km to the village and we have often walked down for a bite to eat in the Tea Rooms or one of the pubs. The area is also very close to an excellent road network and so is handy for lots of areas work wise.
    The traffic in the village can be a killer from what I see, especially on a Friday and just before and after school time due to drop off and collections. That doesn't affect me and my commute to work though as I'm gone by then.

PM me if you'd like more information.

Where in Blanch were you living before ? Did you not find it was better in Blanch with all the facilities so close at hand ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I lived in Griffeen Glen for years and the estate was nice but we had awful trouble with visiting gaa folk abandoning cars everywhere, in grass verges, blocking driveways, impeding access etc. Unlike the last poster, I now live in Blanchardstown and prefer it by miles. So many facilities, so few bottlenecks (relatively speaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

athtrasna wrote: »
    I lived in Griffeen Glen for years and the estate was nice but we had awful trouble with visiting gaa folk abandoning cars everywhere, in grass verges, blocking driveways, impeding access etc. Unlike the last poster, I now live in Blanchardstown and prefer it by miles. So many facilities, so few bottlenecks (relatively speaking)

I dont think Blanch gets the credit it deserves when people look for an apt or home. It has everything right there

Where in Blanch were you living before ? Did you not find it was better in Blanch with all the facilities so close at hand ?

I lived in St. Mochtas on the Clonsilla Road. At first I really liked it. I didn't have a car and the bus and train were within an easy walk for getting to and from work or into town. I could also get the bus or walk to the village (Clonsilla or Blanch) easily too and the same for the shopping centre.
    I suppose over the years the estate changed from owner occupier to more rented and quite a few of the houses ended up in a poor state of repair and the gardens were messy and over grown. Also the field that my house looked out onto ended up being built on with apartments which took away from it for me.
    Living in Lucan I'm also closer to work not a huge amount I grant you but I don't have to cross the Toll any more which saves me a lot of money every month.
    athtrasna wrote: »

I guess it all depends on where you live in any particular place doesn't it?:) I've seen other estates in Lucan have to deal with the traffic you've described. Where I lived in Blanchardstown I was hemmed in by traffic every weekend and it just got worse at Christmas time with all of the cars heading to the shopping centre.
    Now I can get to Liffey Valley with ease if I wish and it is like any other shopping centre really and has pretty much all I'd need. The odd time I go over to Blanchardstown for specific things (these days mostly Mothercare of Mammas and Papas:D).
    I dont think Blanch gets the credit it deserves when people look for an apt or home. It has everything right there

Blanchardstown has loads. I lived there for 10 years and if it was a bad place then I wouldn't have. Lucan isn't perfect either it just suits me better now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

grew up in Lucan and also considering buying there, as generally speaking, its a good place to live. but as you say not much available.

Best areas are the older parts, i think anywhere within a walking radius (20 mins or so) of the village is grand..can be hit and miss on the south/east clondalkin side.... vast majority of Lucan is good tho. feel free to PM me for anywhere specific

grew up in Lucan and also considering buying there, as generally speaking, its a good place to live. but as you say not much available.

Best areas are the older parts, i think anywhere within a walking radius (20 mins or so) of the village is grand..can be hit and miss on the south/east clondalkin side.... vast majority of Lucan is good tho. feel free to PM me for anywhere specific

I'm intrigued by this statement. What isn't available in Lucan that you would like or need to have?
    There are a number of supermarket options - Supervalu, Tesco and Lidl with Aldi and another Lidl in Fonthill.
    There are a number of pubs and restaurants in the village and close by.
    There are quite a few schools both secondary and primary.
    There are a number of sporting clubs- GAA, hockey, soccer, athletics clubs, etc.
    There is a good library.
    The Liffey Valley shopping centre is very close by.
    There are a number of public transport options to the city centre.
    There is a good road network easily accessible.
    You're close to hospitals in Tallaght and Blanchardstown and have a private hospital on your doorstep in the Hermitage.

What is missing that Lucan needs but Blanchardstown has?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I'm intrigued by this statement. What isn't available in Lucan that you would like or need to have?

They said that there are not many houses availble

Rew wrote: »
    They said that there are not many houses availble

Ah sorry, my mistake. I thought the poster meant thst there were very few facilities available in Lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

We would love to buy near the village but there doesn't seem to be many houses available there at present.

Well a lot of people will want to get through Christmas before putting their house on the market. The houses on the village side, "Old Lucan", will be more expensive than comparable ones on the other side of the N4.

I just sold up a few months ago and was living near the Penny Hill pub for 11 years.
    I liked the area, with lots of amenities a short drive away, cinemas, restaurants, shopping centres.

If you commute into the city centre, then houses near Supervalu would be at the start of the 25A bus route, and other variations of the 25B start at Adamstown.
    Buses used to be nearly full by the time they arrived at the Penny Hill pub, but Dublin bus started 3-4 empty buses at the Penny Hill around 7:40, 7:50, 8:00 etc to fix that. Although it's been a year since I used Dublin bus. They can be packed on the way home, unless you catch the bus before it hits the Quays to guarantee a seat.

Lucan village itself suffers from serious traffic issues in rush hour, with long queues of cars avoiding the toll bridge or trying to get to Blanchardstown/Clonsilla/N3. Maybe if they do introduce M50 tolling across the length of the M50 it might reduce the cost of crossing the toll bridge and alleviate that problem somewhat.

You should probably have posted this question in the West Dublin forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Anyone have any opinions on Willsbrook Place, Ballyowen Green and Ballyowen Grove? We can see a few nice houses around these areas. Are they close to transport links? Good quiet areas?

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Advertisement