Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost debit card, in desperate need of cash

Options
  • 04-01-2016 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So I lost my debit card on New Year's Eve, and have yet to cancel it since I knew there was a long weekend and would probably need to use it in some way (I know my details by heart). I've had many bright ideas, such as sending money to myself via Western Union and picking up the cash at a local shop, but unfortunately the shop doesn't offer cash pick up. Then I thought Tesco home delivery would work, but they can only take orders a day in advance.
    I really just need groceries and smokes, is there any way I can use my card details instead of just card and PIN?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Could you not call into a branch and get cash over the counter?

Also, better cancel that card, if it is used you will be responsible as you have not asked bank to cancel it.

Don't some banks now offer cash withdrawals from machines without the card in event of card loss, I think they send you a special pin number to enter.

Best speak to your bank ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ChristOnAStick

Bank's are closed today, I'm with AIB and they only offer emergency cash when the customer is abroad. Also I've lived in this town less than a month and know literally no-one, so asking a mate for cash is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,582 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So you havn't yet reported the card lost or stolen? Does that not seem like the first step seeing as someone could be using it in the meantime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So I lost my debit card on New Year's Eve, and have yet to cancel it since I knew there was a long weekend and would probably need to use it in some way (I know my details by heart). I've had many bright ideas, such as sending money to myself via Western Union and picking up the cash at a local shop, but unfortunately the shop doesn't offer cash pick up. Then I thought Tesco home delivery would work, but they can only take orders a day in advance.
    I really just need groceries and smokes, is there any way I can use my card details instead of just card and PIN?

You lost your card on New years Eve? Today is the 4th. You could have gotten Tesco Home Delivery every day for the least 3 days.

Find a friend who trusts you, pay him 100 quid over paypal and have him give you the cash.

edit: No wonder you know no-one when you slag Galway in your boards profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

Bank's are closed today, I'm with AIB and they only offer emergency cash when the customer is abroad. Also I've lived in this town less than a month and know literally no-one, so asking a mate for cash is out of the question.

Order a takeaway online and live without smokes for a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,582 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

AIB branches are back open today as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Aren't all banks open today? Ulster is and as above AIB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Could you not call into a branch and get cash over the counter?

This. Bring ID.

And you should always cancel your card the minute you realise it's been lost or stolen. The banks have 24/7 lines for such things,.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Banks are open today. Passed the local AIB not long ago.

Advertisement