Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 PDC Premier League Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Van Gerwens third 120+ average on live TV/Stream.. Phil who?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

ceecee14 wrote: »
    Van Gerwens third 120+ average on live TV/Stream.. Phil who?

in all fairness phil's average was really good and won 7-5 as chizzy was on fire too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just the 116 average for the green machine tonight.

Hes different league at the moment.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the Anderson v Smith game. I can't remember them ever playing each other on TV?

Looking forward to the Anderson v Smith game. I can't remember them ever playing each other on TV?

No I don't think they have either.

Outrageous from Michael again tonight. Don't think Phil Taylor was as good as this at his peak

Outrageous from Michael again tonight. Don't think Phil Taylor was as good as this at his peak

It's makes you wonder if he's just in a good run of form or is this now his normal game!

At the other end of the scale Thornton was predictably skittled by Phil.
    Unless he does something major (no pun intended) this year he can wave bye bye to the PL next year. He's been going downhill for a couple of seasons.

gramar wrote:
    It's makes you wonder if he's just in a good run of form or is this now his normal game!

Both I'd say. This run of form is going on 4 months now and he has been practically unbeatable 1.5 years.. Can't see anyone getting near him for a few years yet either, he's so far ahead of everyone

• Advertisement

gramar wrote:
    At the other end of the scale Thornton was predictably skittled by Phil. Unless he does something major (no pun intended) this year he can wave bye bye to the PL next year. He's been going downhill for a couple of seasons.

I think Thornton was a bad edition, I know he deserves his spot but he just isn't good enough for the PL. Klassen would have made a much better account of himself.

Since September 2015 Michaels average is 105.

I think Thornton was a bad edition, I know he deserves his spot but he just isn't good enough for the PL. Klassen would have made a much better account of himself.

When you look at the players in the next 15 places in the rakings i.e. 11-25..there aren't too many that you think could step into the PL and be competitive. Klassen is the only one..Bunting, VdV are maybes and Bunting fell flat on his face and I don't know if VdV has a consistent enough game.

gramar wrote:
    When you look at the players in the next 15 places in the rakings i.e. 11-25..there aren't too many that you think could step into the PL and be competitive. Klassen is the only one..Bunting, VdV are maybes and Bunting fell flat on his face and I don't know if VdV has a consistent enough game.

Yea that's true I suppose. The gap between the top 5 and the rest is getting bigger too.. Hope this PL doesn't set young Smith back like it did Bunting an Hybrechts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Its reported that Thornton is suffering from health issues. Hearn left out Wade a few years back for health issues also so its not like the PDC haven't done it before. I am not a Thornton fan but he is a decent player and sending him in for a whopping every Thursday is not doing him any favours.

anyone else think its time for barney to ditch the i'm a baddass eye of the tiger when he's waiting to come to the stage , was so over the top last night

peteeeed wrote: »
    anyone else think its time for barney to ditch the i'm a baddass eye of the tiger when he's waiting to come to the stage , was so over the top last night

Ehhhh no.

It's the joint greatest walk on in the history of darts.

gramar wrote: »

On their day there's a few players that could compete but week in week out no one has the consistency. There's no let up, you're just playing a top guy every week.
    Yea that's true I suppose. The gap between the top 5 and the rest is getting bigger too.. Hope this PL doesn't set young Smith back like it did Bunting an Hybrechts

Yeah Webster and Newton can be added to that list.

Nothing worse for the confidence than getting poisoned every Thursday night.
    Hopefully Smith uses the experience of playing the top players so regularly and doesn't let it get to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

statto25 wrote: »
    Its reported that Thornton is suffering from health issues. Hearn left out Wade a few years back for health issues also so its not like the PDC haven't done it before. I am not a Thornton fan but he is a decent player and sending him in for a whopping every Thursday is not doing him any favours.

"Health issues were used as a handy cover for the real reasons of getting Wade to stop criticising the PDC board and toe the party line" would be a more accurate sentence.

As for Thornton, presumably his issues weren't so apparent at the time they made the wildcards in early January, if they'd had an inkling of how shambolic he would be they'd have given the wildcard to someone else.
    At least he only has another 3 Thursdays of misery.

"Health issues were used as a handy cover for the real reasons of getting Wade to stop criticising the PDC board and toe the party line" would be a more accurate sentence.

Can you expand on this please?

• Advertisement

Mvg beaten by Lewis in players championship today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Wade was suspended for 4 events in 2013 for behavioural reasons and afterwards criticised the PDC for failing to take his Bi-Polar into consideration.
    He was then left out of the PL the following year. This seemed to be his worst year darts and health wise, he acted the tool and was then punished. Armani is correct saying it was a handy excuse to leave him out but in fairness judging by reports he wasn't in great shape mind wise and needed the break.

peteeeed wrote:
    Mvg beaten by Lewis in players championship today

Seen that, and Peter Wright won it out. Came from 5-3 down to win 6-5 against Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hearn didn't speak to Wade in advance of his omission and obviously didn't speak to his doctor, so he cant have known whether leaving him out was good or bad for his health. Wade released a statement saying that no medical professionals had suggested he take a break.

As statto said Wade had been bold that year and got a suspension. Also worth pointing out that he blasted the board of the PDC in an interview at the 2013 UK Open and it had been badly received by the bosses apparently.
    To me it all seemed to be a case of 'gotcha' when they left him out.
    statto25 wrote: »
    Wade was suspended for 4 events in 2013 for behavioural reasons and afterwards criticised the PDC for failing to take his Bi-Polar into consideration.
    He was then left out of the PL the following year. This seemed to be his worst year darts and health wise, he acted the tool and was then punished. Armani is correct saying it was a handy excuse to leave him out but in fairness judging by reports he wasn't in great shape mind wise and needed the break.

2 things. He was World Number 5 at the time of the suspension so could be argued he wasn't in that bad a shape game wise, higher ranking than now fwiw.
    And again when you say that 'he needed a break' it's another example of non-experts deciding whats best for people with mental health issues which is apparently very annoying for people who suffer from such things (I'm not having a pop by the way, I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself).

VanGerwen doing the business on the floor again today.. Checked out 150 with three bulls-eyes to win 6-0 against Pallet.. He had a nine darter in the very first leg against Ian White

It seems this is the norm for him now

VanGerwen doing the business on the floor again today.. Checked out 150 with three bulls-eyes to win 6-0 against Pallet.. He had a nine darter in the very first leg against Ian White

It seems this is the norm for him now

although beaten by bunting in the final 6-4

That was an awkward interview after the mvg Taylor draw

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭leoch

peteeeed wrote: »
    That was an awkward interview after the mvg Taylor draw
    Yeah when Taylor sobers up and watches the replay of the interviews he must cringe and think to himself jesus but I am a complete **** and talk some dung when I am drunk....but mardel does it every week live and probably not steaming

Great comeback by Taylor. He's really trying his absolute damnnest to keep up with MvG.

• Advertisement

MvG just beat Wright 6-4 in the German masters. Wright was 4-2 up and took out a D18 D18 finish and a 158 to go into the lead but lost his way a bit after missing 100 when he hit a single one which would have seen him go 5-2 up. MvG found his rhythm after that leg and the win looked inevitable after that. The walk on girls also deserve a special mention....fúcking savage some of them!

Advertisement