Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop question

• 04-01-2016 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Was into photography years ago but for away from it.

Back again... Just wondering about photoshop.

These days you pay a monthly licence?

If I edit my photos, do I then retain those edited photos as jpeg (or whatever) files on my computer, or can I only open them with a current licenced photoshop software?

Eg, can I do a lot of editing in a month and then not pay for my photoshop again for a month or two and still be able to view the photos that I've edited?

Thanks very much

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, your subscription does not affect your ability to open edited files in any other package - for example, you may need to send them to a customer, so they're in no way 'tied' to you PS subscription.
    no one would buy it if there was such a limitation.

however, i'm not sure if adobe do licencing based on a single month's subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks very much for that.

I don't mind paying a years subscription or whatever the requirement is, was just worried I'd be tying myself into it. I'll just edit, convert and export as jpeg to some cloud storage. It's just a personal interest, not a pro so not keen to invest too heavily in software. A few years ago you could just get 'a copy' of whatever was going, cs4 I think, but they've obviously wised up.

Thanks again, appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Photoshop cc is the cloud version you are referring to. I got it a few months ago there.
    You download the full copy of Photoshop and edit the psd on your computer like on the past. The only difference is when you turn on PS it will do a licence check online to make sure your licence is valid. (Not sure the exact details like you might have a few days grace if you are offline)
    You do get like cloud storage on Adobe servers, so your images are synced across all your machines that you're logged into, but I don't use that functionality. When your subscription is up I think you can still access all your files but not edit then or something.

If you look hard enough (just on Amazon) you can buy nearly the latest version of Photoshop to own but it's like 800£ out something that.

I got the photographers bundle which includes Lightroom and PS. I use Lightroom nite that Photoshop so far.

Actually another tip... I got the subscription through 500px.com which had a deal with their subscription. Great site. Folanfoto.com is my site there as an example. I can't remember if there is a referral on sign-up if you do go that direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

You can get lightroom as a stand-along package for about €130 (it's quite difficult to find the standalone purchase on the adobe site as it always seems to default to joining adobe cc; I think this should bring it up: https://www.adobe.com/ie/cart.html?marketSegment=COM&editSku=65237623&promoid=KSPGJ )

If you want to do edits to photos that LR can't do you could then also get PS Elements, which is currently on offer for €71 (just checked, this offer expires today; it reverts back to €102ish after): http://www.adobe.com/ie/products/photoshop-elements/features.html

I'm about to purchase elements, and hopefully between LR and that I should have all the software I would need, and don't have to worry about subscriptions to adobe cc.

Advertisement