Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping feet dry?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are waterproof socks worth the expense? If so what ones would you recommend?
    Is it possible to keep water out? Would some kind of gaiter help?

Or what recommendations would people have for keeping ones feet comfy for as long as possible on a marathon+ distance trail race during the middle of winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Against all the advice I found the best combination for me is waterproof socks and goretex trail shoes.

I use Dexshell socks I got from Mapdec in the UK http://mapdec.com/collections/waterproof-socks-gloves/products/dexshell-ultralite-biking-running-sock and Saucony Xodus GTX https://www.instagram.com/p/-zoQYWiLBn/?taken-by=runningmatters that I got... well I shouldn't need to tell you where ;-)

I used this combination with a very thing monoskin sock underneath the Dexshell for the adventure race last summer. I was in an out of streams and splashing through bogs with no foot problems at all. I use the same sock combination for mountain biking in the winter.

The monoskin is better next to skin as smoother than the neoprene.

What trail race are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I never used this on Mapdec but worth trying if of use to you, possibly expired as I got it last year: "Please accept this gift of £3.00 off your next order of £10.00 or more. Simply use the code: ‘Amphkingwest’ at checkout."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I gave up trying to keep feet dry but instead keeping them warm with very fine merino wool socks. Used for the Art O'Neil last year with good success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you're out trail running, I don't think there's any point in trying to keep your feet dry, your feet will stay warm anyway. For example in the Wicklow Way race through the snow, ice and deep frozen puddles a couple of years ago I wore regular socks and trail shoes. You don't notice it after the first puddle and for my anyway there's no issue from that point on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

robinph wrote: »
    Are waterproof socks worth the expense? If so what ones would you recommend?
    Is it possible to keep water out? Would some kind of gaiter help?

Or what recommendations would people have for keeping ones feet comfy for as long as possible on a marathon+ distance trail race during the middle of winter?

It depends! (of course) :)

It depends on weather conditions, trail conditions, how likely you are to have cross a body of water deeper than a few inches that can't be jumped, is getting grit in your shoes a factor etc.

For example, as Thisregard says, there are plenty of routes where by far the easist thing to do is to forget about it and just wear normal gear. In contrast, I've managed to do 160km races in the alps in inclement weather and keep my feet perfectly reasonably dry (as I knew I wouldn't encounter anything more than puddles, waterproof running shoes + running gators worked under those cirumstances).

I've found that waterproof socks have bigger downsides than upsides in really long races, and these days would only use them for cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The event is going to be up and down the cliff edge of the south coast of Devon at the beginning of February. Likely to involve many deep muddy puddles, but also potential for fording small streams, and flooded roads if the current weather in the UK continues. There is also going to be at least one bit along a beach, but that bit of water should be avoidable. :)

robinph wrote: »
    The event is going to be up and down the cliff edge of the south coast of Devon at the beginning of February. Likely to involve many deep muddy puddles, but also potential for fording small streams, and flooded roads if the current weather in the UK continues. There is also going to be at least one bit along a beach, but that bit of water should be avoidable. :)

From that description it sounds like you're going to have wet feet. So embrace the wetness rather than try to battle it. Thick socks to keep your feet as warm as possible. No waterproof shoes or socks as they will just retain water. Don't bother trying to keep your feet dry during the race, just plough through on the fastest route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was never too bothered about just ploughing through the puddles in races, and even more not bothered since pushing the buggy where sudden changes of direction to dodge a small puddle are not possible (once I'm fairly sure of the depth before plunging into the water ;) ).

Not having done anything this long off road previously though. A 24hr trail race previously was a relay so I could put on dry socks before each 10km stint and was only ever 40 minutes away from drying out again. This will probably be getting on for 4:30 hours I think, leaders seem to do it in just under 4hrs, so want the feet to last as long as possible.

Thanks for the tips guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Good socks and shoes with good drainage is the way to go for that sort of race.

Socks are personable but the new inov8s are worth a go.*
    http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-RaceSoc-Mid.html?L=26

I was out for three hours with feet submerged for most of that and they held up great. Didn’t sag and felt snug. Feet warmed up surprisingly despite the water.

*Inov8’s previous version of their socks were pretty crap, fell apart after a weeks.

You doing the South Devon Coastal Trail race?

Djoucer wrote: »

You doing the South Devon Coastal Trail race?

Yep, that's the one.

I have a new pair of Innov8 roclite shoes that santa bought himself for Xmas and did a couple of bits of the north Devon coast last week.

• Advertisement

Nice! That's part of the world I'd love to visit. Sounds like a good route.

Now that you know you're likely to be dealing with wet feet in the race I'd recommend to get your feet used to it as much as possible. Rainy days are now an opportunity for specific training rather than something to be dreaded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I previously tried the SealSkins, but found their bulk combined with their poor, bag like shape led to more problems. Now I use Injini liner toe socks and a SmartWool merino sock over that. For long wet days, lathering your feet in sudocrem helps as it's water repellent with the benefit of antibacterial and antifungal agents.

I'm prone to blistering around the toes if my feet are wet for long periods, and the toe socks prevent most of that, the merino sock then adds warmth/comfort. The book Fixing Your Feet has more tips on toughening the skin, along with lots of other alternatives to address pretty much any issue you come across.

Problem with GoreTex shoes is once any significant amount of water gets in, their ability to vent will fail and you'll end up sloshing around for a while.

Advertisement