Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease termination - tenants rights

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hi, my landlord is selling and I have been given my 84 day notice. I have just over 2 months left on my lease.

Do I have any rights regarding shortening the lease? If I find the prefect property now I don't know if I can afford two rents - can I terminate the lease early given that I'm on notice already

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You don't have rights.

But you can negotiate and will probably come to a satisfactory conclusion: your LL knows that the chance of you finding somewhere to go which is available exactly on the date your lease ends is very small. Also, they may be happy to have you out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The 84 days notice is there to protect both parties, however it does not have to be adhere to if both parties agree otherwise.
    The landlord gave you the notice you were entitled to, although he can hold you to stay the entire 84 days, it's quite possible he would prefer if you moved out earlier. Try simply asking him. He could well be perfectly happy with you leaving earlier if you found new accommodation before the notice period. It could be a win-win situation.

Advertisement