Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Reticle problem

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

My buddy is looking to buy a second hand scope and asked me to have a look for him.
    I found a suitable scope for his needs however the reticle looks a bit wrong.
    If you look at the sky the reticle is dark black as you would expect but if you look in to a shaded area you can see it fade and kinda change colour on the outer thick part of the reticle. It happens in the exact same part of the reticle every time - lets say left thick post starts from the outer edge faded/off black and becomes dark black abruptly working towards the middle.

Is this a major issue? Cause to walk away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

Well it turned out to be a major issue alright - after a play with the turrets the reticle is now detached....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Had a lad on the range one day that had a similar issue. The crosshair was faded on one side but his had the "missing bit" floating around the lens. If you shook the rifle/scope the bit would move within the lens/scope. His worked fine and tracked fine, but he took it back, rightly so, and changed it for a new one. The bit was just some debris or fouling that got into the scope and through (and i'm purely guessing here) some form of static adhered to the lens.

I think most scopes, new ones anyway, are etched onto the lens/glass. So if the crosshair is moving then it would be the lens it's etched onto that is loose in which case, as you rightly pointed out, it's knackered. Sometimes you can confirm this by turning the turrets. Either windage, elevation or adjustment. If the lens is out of alignment the turret cannot properly move the lens and it'll be stiff either all the way through the adjustment or at certain points.

One of my first scopes was the wire crosshair (still made today). I had a similar problem and from forcing the turret (moving the wire reticle lens) the wire snapped and i ended up with less than half a crosshair and the broken bits just hanging.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement