Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV and calving camera

• 04-01-2016 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently there have been some issues with dumping and petty theft in the area so we've been thinking about a CCTV system. We could also do with a calving camera so I figured we could use one system. There's only one way out of the place so we think one camera at the gate would suffice with the other in the shed. I personally would like one or two more but based on the small amount of research I've done decent cameras are pricey. I've looked on Amazon and that but not so sure about using those kits outdoors. I've found this one:

http://securitywatch.ie/cctv-main/cctv-kits/2-camera-cctv-kits/2-camera-ahd-bullet-high-quality-security-system-kit-with-4-channel-dvr-hdmi-cloud-technology-320gb-hard-drive.html

Or we could stretch another €60 for a 1tb hard drive. What's the opinion on this system? Is it the same as the Amazon ones or are they better? The idea of a kit appeals to me but the problem is the shed is about 100ft across the yard and the cable would have to be buried, and the front gate is about 100 or 150 ft the opposite way from the house.

Am I better off just getting a guy out to do it? Rang the local fella who comes highly recommended but he gave a rough estimate of €1500-2000 which isn't justifiable at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

What about this?

http://www.networksecurity.ie/home-alarm-packages/cctv-systems-residential-2/
    €499

This one has €250 off at the moment:
    http://www.useehomesecurity.com/home-cctv/
    €749 from what I can see.

Both are 2TB, one of which is an NVR as opposed to a DVR.
    (if I remember correctly)

Not sure, but I'd imagine this includes installing the whole thing, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

PeteK* wrote: »

Network Security Solutions Limited was set up on Tue the 4th of Jan 2000 in Co. Dublin. Their current status is Dissolved with the company closing on Wed the 14th of Oct 2015. The company's current directors Bill Ramsay and Derek Ramsay have been the director of 3 other Irish companies between them; 1 of which is now closed. According to our records, Network Security Solutions Limited has had a judgment registered against it. Network Security Solutions Limited has 2 shareholders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

gctest50 wrote: »
    Network Security Solutions Limited was set up on Tue the 4th of Jan 2000 in Co. Dublin. Their current status is Dissolved with the company closing on Wed the 14th of Oct 2015. The company's current directors Bill Ramsay and Derek Ramsay have been the director of 3 other Irish companies between them; 1 of which is now closed. According to our records, Network Security Solutions Limited has had a judgment registered against it. Network Security Solutions Limited has 2 shareholders.
    What does that mean overall? They're out of business?
    I only knew about their price after seeing this:
    http://www.joe.ie/news/engineer-calls-to-fix-house-alarm-in-rathcoole-and-foils-an-actual-burglary/525964

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I was going to get this camera- http://www.equicom.ie/ip-camera-1092-p.asp but am changing it now as I got a calving camera as an unexpected present :)
    The issue with that one is that you have to buy a second camera & external storage if you use the motion detection recording.
    Have the tech guy coming to me next week to set up CCTV (He's going to see if we can incorporate both that & the calving camera)
    One thing he did say to us was that you'd be better off paying for a system that can cater for 4 channels and start off with two cameras- that way you won't have to upgrade the entire system if you want to add more.
    The distance sounds about correct for one that would transmit the signal direct to the house wirelessly, that is what I am getting as well, the house is about 160 yards from the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Kovu wrote: »
    One thing he did say to us was that you'd be better off paying for a system that can cater for 4 channels and start off with two cameras-........

get plenty of channels - "they" are getting cheaper

you'll always find a use for them - one at the front gate / tanks or whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭judge30

Pete123456

Hey would you consider using a wireless system since you are a good distance from where you want the cameras ,they are actually very affordable and easy to install equicom is a good site to buy kits and even have YouTube videos to show you how to install ,I am an installer of CCTV and you are right not to get the local fella as that price is a total rip off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Pete123456

Hey would you consider using a wireless system since you are a good distance from where you want the cameras ,they are actually very affordable and easy to install equicom is a good site to buy kits and even have YouTube videos to show you how to install ,I am an installer of CCTV and you are right not to get the local fella as that price is a total rip off

I've looked at that site and those systems but I'm worried that the signals would be interfered with. We're near enough an airport and the odd time it interferes with the radio signals in the cars and that. Also, It would mean I'd have to get an electrician to wire up both cameras rather than running the power and video cable to them. Cheers though

Another question guys... is direct burial cat 5 cable durable underneath a driveway? Or am I better off running regular cat 5e through wavin pipe? How deep a trench should I dig? Thanks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Pete123456

I am too an installer and at it a long long time, you automatically assume the local guy is possibly ripping the OP off, have you actually seen the site and his specification to come out with comments like that?

Watching YouTube videos makes you a professional installer does it?

Have you a PSA licence? Do you even know who they are?

kub wrote: »
    I am too an installer and at it a long long time, you automatically assume the local guy is possibly ripping the OP off, have you actually seen the site and his specification to come out with comments like that?

Watching YouTube videos makes you a professional installer does it?

Have you a PSA licence? Do you even know who they are?

I'm looking for a system that I can use to monitor the gate and inside the shed with good resolution. When I rang the local guy he said well you're better off going with the top quality or you'll have to do it again. He quoted 500 for each camera and 500 for the dvr. Couple this with 500 for the installation and you're looking at 2k. Tbh I'm not willing to spend that kind of money for my purposes. I'm looking at good quality ip cameras over cat5e and an nvr. I reckon I can do it for about 800 quid. That kind of money I can live with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement