Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for self employed cooking business

• 04-01-2016 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I am considering starting some childrens cooking classes at my local community centre. These would be basic classes, mainly demonstrations but as much hands on practical as possible. If I do the usual risk assesment for things such as use of knives and ovens etc, would it be acceptable to ask parents to sign an indemnity of sorts in case of accidents rather than acquire insurance of some description, or would insurance be a non-negotiable requirement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I expect the community centre would require public liability insurance before they would let the place to you: no matter what disclaimers a parent signs, what if a parent etc trips and breaks a leg or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Yes, I think you must be right about that. I hadn't even started looking at it from their point of view but definitely something I will have to enquire about. Thanks Mrs O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

You would definitely need your own insurance, try Pike Insurances for this type of thing, they are very helpful. (no affiliation with them, just a happy customer)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Thanks for the suggestion phormium, I will certainly get in touch with them as I had no idea where to start.

Advertisement