Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Install Question

Options
  • 04-01-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was out of house and Nest installer arrived and proceeded to install with my wife there.  We have a boiler and a simple thermostat on the wall about 10 mtrs from boiler in the hallway - Thermostat model (xxxx) and boiler is Mynute 16e.

He came along and installed it and insisted the thermostat cant be replaced with Nest as it's high voltage and not 'interlinked' then just stuck the nest thermostat in the front room on the stand and plugged in.

Ideally I would have expected it to replace the thermostat in the hallway but he insisted the power would need to plugged in separately as it's too high voltage or it needs to be rewired.

Can someone verify this for me please? As I thought the Nest UK/IE version comes with heatlink which basically steps down the voltage. 

I must clarify at this point the thermostat before Nest came along did talk to the boiler and was working so not sure what the issue could have been.

I will edit this post with model numbers etc. when I have the detail.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Rafloution,

Thank you for getting in touch.

I will send your query to the Home Services team now, and you will be updated ASAP.

Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Thanks Una - to add more detail the baffling thing is the existing thermostat is still wired and needs to be turned up for heat (in conjunction with Nest) and turned down for water to Zero.

If we want just water our old thermostat has to be turned down and we have to turn the Nest right up so the water heats.

So even if we want to remote control anything the manual thermostat still needs to be up or down which automatically makes Nest redundant.

All seems a bit strange to me and it would be great to get another opinion.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He's probably correct in that the thermostat on the wall doesn't run off the standard 13A socket ring circuit but instead is connected directly to the boiler controls (and now to the Nest Heatlink). As such, you can't remove the existing thermostat and use the wiring in place to power the Nest thermostat because there's insufficient power.

However, he should have disconnected the existing thermostat and joined the wires to form a closed loop so that the Heatlink is effectively always on.

To mount the Nest thermostat in the same position on the wall, I had to disconnect the existing cable joining the old thermostat to the Nest and hook it up to the socket circuit instead. Wouldn't know how to sort it out with your water though, I would have thought the installer would give you some tips.

Hi again Rafloution,

Thanks for the follow-up.

Private messages sent to you.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Ok I have got more details on the install and if this is correct. Please let me know what my options are as the Nest isn't suitable for this or a lot of Dublin houses according to the installers.

Mynute 16e was attached to a scheduler with on/off switch. Which then connected to a 230 volt Analog Thermometer, this thermometer when the scheduler was set to on controlled both water and radiators. The temperature used to be set to 0 manually and then turn on scheduler -this would be hot water only. Turn up thermometer and we would have heat through radiators and hot water.

Installer arrived yesterday.

Removed scheduler and placed Nest Heat Link there.

Installed Nest Thermometer on table with separate power. Leaving our existing thermostat on the wall in the hallway connected.

The outcome of this install is the below

1) For Hot water only

Analog Thermostat set to 0 and Nest thermostat turned up past present room temperature

2) Hot Water and Radiators

Analog Thermostat turned up and Nest turned up to desired temperature.

The above contradicts this https://nest.com/ie/support/article/Can-I-have-a-Nest-Thermostat-installed-if-I-have-a-hot-water-programmer-or-if-my-current-thermostat-controls-both-home-heating-and-hot-water which I believed would work and your marketing material suggests it will also.

As a result we now have a Nest system which will only turn on in conjunction with analog thermometer/on off switch and will require manual input every time we need water and radiators. We cant even programme it for water only as the thermostat will be trying to achieve a temperature which will never exist as the radiators will be off. We also cant use remotely as again we need to interact with Analog thermometer.

I spoke to the Eamonn who I believe is a manager of the installers this morning and they explained a lot of Dublin houses are wired this way - which is 1 zone and needs to be 2 zones t control water and heat independently.

If you can review with the team responsible and confirm the above is correct then I would like to arrange removal as it will not be suitable. Speaking to Eamonn it seems with the release of 3rd gen Nest and its advertising of hot water control this will bring a lot of people to conclude it will work if wired with 1 zone control, this doesn't appear to be correct.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi again Rafloution,

We have escalated this query also and you will be updated ASAP.

Thanks,
    Una

________

Update:

Spoke to installer again this morning and he suggested a way the water can be separately controlled but still insisted the analog thermometer needs to exist to control the on/off function of the boiler (or use a wemo switch). Not sure why this wasn't suggested in the first place? It still leaves manual input required and a random thermometer on my wall and another digital thermometer on my table.

I contacted Nest Ireland and explained the set up and they didn't understand why there was this confusion and the need for the manual thermostat to still exist.

They explained my set up is not unique and that they do have customers with the same set up. I will PM over the case reference to yourselves.

Can someone from electric Ireland contact Nest and verify this install please?

Thanks

Hi again Rafloution,

We have sent your query to the relevant department and you will be updated ASAP.

Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I have my nest about 6 months at this point and I have the same problem - the installer at the time advised me to crank up the thermostat on the wall and to turn off all the radiators so that I just have the nest heat my water.
    If this can be reversed so that the nest controls the rads and the water separately I'd love to know and have amended accordingly.

Hi The_Morrigan,

Your Nest thermostat would be the previous model to version three, which was launched in November, so it doesn't have all the same functionality. However, if you private message us your Electric Ireland account number, name, address and telephone number, we will advise Energy Services of your query and you will be updated ASAP.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Hi The_Morrigan,

Your Nest thermostat would be the previous model to version three, which was launched in November, so it doesn't have all the same functionality. However, if you private message us your Electric Ireland account number, name, address and telephone number, we will advise Energy Services of your query and you will be updated ASAP.

Kind regards,
    Una

________
    Hi Una,

Thanks for the response, I'll send a pm now with the details. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dylan77

Hi,

Apologies for re-using an old post but I've just had a Nest installed and have the exact same issue, i.e. boiler with timer connected to an analog thermostat in the hall that controls water and/or radiators. Could you please advise what the fix would be?

Thanks,
    Dylan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi Dylan,

We regret the delay in responding to your query.

For account security, we would require the following information by private message:
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)

We will then proceed with looking into your query.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AntFitz

Any update on this guys?

I am very interested in getting this for my Dad's house but am concerned about the issues raised by the other people on this thread, as his heating system seems to be the same as what they detailed.

Please let me know as I want to get it in for the winter season.

I am also interested in getting it in for my house too.

Cheers,
    Anthony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your message.

We would recommend contacting the Electric Ireland Home Services team on 1850 372 333. They are available to call from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

The Home Services team would be in the best position to discuss the Nest Learning Thermostat, and the installation process, with you.

Should you have any other queries regarding Electric Ireland please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

[font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Hi Anthony,[/font]

[font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Thanks for your message.[/font]

[font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]We would recommend contacting the Electric Ireland Home Services team on 1850 372 333. They are available to call from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.[/font]

[font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]The Home Services team would be in the best position to discuss the Nest Learning Thermostat, and the installation process, with you.[/font]

[font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Should you have any other queries regarding Electric Ireland please let us know.[/font]

[font=proxima-nova, sans-serif]Thanks, 
    Brige[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 11 as234

Rafloution wrote: »
    Hi,

I was out of house and Nest installer arrived and proceeded to install with my wife there.  We have a boiler and a simple thermostat on the wall about 10 mtrs from boiler in the hallway - Thermostat model (xxxx) and boiler is Mynute 16e.

He came along and installed it and insisted the thermostat cant be replaced with Nest as it's high voltage and not 'interlinked' then just stuck the nest thermostat in the front room on the stand and plugged in.

Ideally I would have expected it to replace the thermostat in the hallway but he insisted the power would need to plugged in separately as it's too high voltage or it needs to be rewired.

Can someone verify this for me please? As I thought the Nest UK/IE version comes with heatlink which basically steps down the voltage. 

I must clarify at this point the thermostat before Nest came along did talk to the boiler and was working so not sure what the issue could have been.

I will edit this post with model numbers etc. when I have the detail.

Thanks.

This is exactly same problem I have did you ever resolve- regret instal at the present time

Issue resolved eventually.

Needed to make the boiler work 2 zones and then wire the nest up for lower voltage.

Needs an electrician and plumber. The two zone thingy was cheap enough.

Would highly recommend getting it sorted as it flawless now and probably the best improvement we've made to the house.

Advertisement