Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Tri

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

Good Luck.
    I signed up for the Ironmind Sprint Tri in July. The swimming is still a struggle but I figured if I signed up for something i'd have a better chance of being motivated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Story for anyone thinking of trying a tri.

So I did it. After being sick with nerves all week and a sleepless Saturday night I woke up Sunday all ready and set for the Tri a Tri. Breakfast started out fine till half way through I felt sick so I ditched it. I arrived in UL plenty early and worked out the logistics of where everything was, and set about racking up bike, laying out shoes, clothes, etc. I didn't have a suit so went with swimming togs and a teeshirt and shorts for after the pool, cycling shoes and then runners. I had a long sleeved jersey ready in case it was too cold but didn't need it – I felt arm warmers would have been to hard to pull on.

Being a newbie, first mistake was not realising there would be time to quickly strip off tracksuit & shoes between the pre race briefing and getting into pool so I was standing around half naked at 8.30am for half hour but apart from feeling bit like a prat I was fine. A lady standing near me felt sorry and gave me her jacket for over the shoulders. Onwards into pool deck, I found my lane, registered with the timing marshal and hopped in. To get estimate of everyone's times and to warm up we were told to "just swim a length or two ". I hadn't planned on extra lengths and while I did have 500m in me I was little worried I'd get tired too early in the day. Turns out it was actually a good idea as it settled me down and I got into a nice rhythm before the actual race started.

I took tiny breathers twice at the end of the pool – no problem there. I finished in a good time and then kinda forgot to get out of the pool and head to the transition area fast so I lost a bit of time there. But I was feeling great, threw on the shoes, shorts and teeshirt. A full trisuit would be so much easier than struggling with shorts & tee. I then headed out on the cycle which is my real sport. Delighted I was able to pass loads of people on this section – some making hard work of the cycle as they didn’t appear familiar with the bike or with the gears so I made good time on this section. 9km turned out to be almost 10k but again this wasn’t a problem. Loads of marshalling on the route and plenty of reminders to unclip and get off bike in time, leave helmet on till bike was racked up, turn number around, etc.

Next up the run – my worst part. Transition was quick and legs weren’t too bad but it did feel like an extremely slow run. I was struggling on the 2nd km but determined not to walk if at all possible. The run was a turnaround and back the same way which I had found hard for the 1st km as so many were already heading back as I was just half a km in to my own run. The final km went fine, actually even found a bit of speed so I cross the line looking like it was some bit of a run rather than a show jog. The commentator remembered me from previous very nervous chats was cheered me in the final few meters. Absolutely thrilled with myself.

Bit annoyed I lost time in T1 taking in the scenery ! but my split times were spot on where I had wanted to be, and my overall time near enough what I had hoped for too. Even the run wasn’t as slow as I thought it was and the time was exact same as my training runs had been. There was great commaradie among the other competitors, cheering each other on as you passed or they passed you. After the finish I randomly met some of the others wandering around and we shared experiences.

Moral of the story – go try a tri and see if you like it. I’d do it again – not sure about openwater swimming but then again, this time last year I wouldn’t have said I’d be able for a tri.

Good man. Fair play to you.
    I signed up for my first one on 9th July in mullingar. Swimming not great still so I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Have ten weeks to improve so hopefully it'll be enough for it not to be a total disaster.
    Thanks for the report
    Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

great stuff !!!!

Story for anyone thinking of trying a tri.

So I did it. After being sick with nerves all week and a sleepless Saturday night I woke up Sunday all ready and set for the Tri a Tri. Breakfast started out fine till half way through I felt sick so I ditched it. I arrived in UL plenty early and worked out the logistics of where everything was, and set about racking up bike, laying out shoes, clothes, etc. I didn't have a suit so went with swimming togs and a teeshirt and shorts for after the pool, cycling shoes and then runners. I had a long sleeved jersey ready in case it was too cold but didn't need it – I felt arm warmers would have been to hard to pull on.

Being a newbie, first mistake was not realising there would be time to quickly strip off tracksuit & shoes between the pre race briefing and getting into pool so I was standing around half naked at 8.30am for half hour but apart from feeling bit like a prat I was fine. A lady standing near me felt sorry and gave me her jacket for over the shoulders. Onwards into pool deck, I found my lane, registered with the timing marshal and hopped in. To get estimate of everyone's times and to warm up we were told to "just swim a length or two ". I hadn't planned on extra lengths and while I did have 500m in me I was little worried I'd get tired too early in the day. Turns out it was actually a good idea as it settled me down and I got into a nice rhythm before the actual race started.

I took tiny breathers twice at the end of the pool – no problem there. I finished in a good time and then kinda forgot to get out of the pool and head to the transition area fast so I lost a bit of time there. But I was feeling great, threw on the shoes, shorts and teeshirt. A full trisuit would be so much easier than struggling with shorts & tee. I then headed out on the cycle which is my real sport. Delighted I was able to pass loads of people on this section – some making hard work of the cycle as they didn’t appear familiar with the bike or with the gears so I made good time on this section. 9km turned out to be almost 10k but again this wasn’t a problem. Loads of marshalling on the route and plenty of reminders to unclip and get off bike in time, leave helmet on till bike was racked up, turn number around, etc.

Next up the run – my worst part. Transition was quick and legs weren’t too bad but it did feel like an extremely slow run. I was struggling on the 2nd km but determined not to walk if at all possible. The run was a turnaround and back the same way which I had found hard for the 1st km as so many were already heading back as I was just half a km in to my own run. The final km went fine, actually even found a bit of speed so I cross the line looking like it was some bit of a run rather than a show jog. The commentator remembered me from previous very nervous chats was cheered me in the final few meters. Absolutely thrilled with myself.

Bit annoyed I lost time in T1 taking in the scenery ! but my split times were spot on where I had wanted to be, and my overall time near enough what I had hoped for too. Even the run wasn’t as slow as I thought it was and the time was exact same as my training runs had been. There was great commaradie among the other competitors, cheering each other on as you passed or they passed you. After the finish I randomly met some of the others wandering around and we shared experiences.

Moral of the story – go try a tri and see if you like it. I’d do it again – not sure about openwater swimming but then again, this time last year I wouldn’t have said I’d be able for a tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

barrymac20 wrote: »
    Good man. Fair play to you.
    I signed up for my first one on 9th July in mullingar. Swimming not great still so I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Have ten weeks to improve so hopefully it'll be enough for it not to be a total disaster.
    Thanks for the report
    Barry

Take the swim slow and steady and don't follow at the other's pace. A good few took off too fast yesterday and were winded with 100m still to go. I've a very lazy looking swim, a friend watching yesterday thought there was no way I'd last the distance but I was the same the whole way through. Best of luck with it. I got a real buzz from finishing - much better than any other event I've ever done.

btw - it's good woman ;)

• Advertisement

Take the swim slow and steady and don't follow at the other's pace. A good few took off too fast yesterday and were winded with 100m still to go. I've a very lazy looking swim, a friend watching yesterday thought there was no way I'd last the distance but I was the same the whole way through. Best of luck with it. I got a real buzz from finishing - much better than any other event I've ever done.

btw - it's good woman ;)

Ahh my apologies. Good woman yourself! Hopefully I'll be able to say I've joined the club soon. Will continue to get swimming lessons up to the event so that will help.

Advertisement