Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation: surprised at price difference between 2 similar products

Options
  • 04-01-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Can anyone shed a little light on this:

Floor insulation 100mm .030 wmk 1.2 x 2.4 = €40 per 2.88m2

Cavity insulation 100mm .022 wmk 1.2 x .45 = €35 per .54m2

I spoke with the vendor and he said the main difference is the joints and of course the difference in u value. But he said other than that there the same.

Would I be correct in saying that if one went with 200mm floor insulation in the walls you could actually achieve a better rating at 50% less cost.

I'd imagine it's not compliance with regs

If one overlapped them so no gaps!

Just interest in your thoughts not considering it but the cost difference for a similar ish product is what gets me.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

briaineo wrote: »
    Can anyone shed a little light on this:

Floor insulation 100mm .030 wmk 1.2 x 2.4 = €40 per 2.88m2

Cavity insulation 100mm .022 wmk 1.2 x .45 = €35 per .54m2

I spoke with the vendor and he said the main difference is the joints and of course the difference in u value. But he said other than that there the same.

Would I be correct in saying that if one went with 200mm floor insulation in the walls you could actually achieve a better rating at 50% less cost.

I'd imagine it's not compliance with regs

If one overlapped them so no gaps!

Just interest in your thoughts not considering it but the cost difference for a similar ish product is what gets me.

Will the floor insulation in the walls be certified?
    The Construction Product Regulations, CE marking, Declaration of Performance and TGD Part D ensures that you do not use products design for one situation to be used in another non compliant/certified situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭briaineo

It's most likely not but it's the cost difference I wondering about.

It someone might know why it's 4 times more expensive to make cavity wall panels? Or maybe 3 times when the lower wmk value is taken into account!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

briaineo wrote: »
    It's most likely not but it's the cost difference I wondering about.

It someone might know why it's 4 times more expensive to make cavity wall panels? Or maybe 3 times when the lower wmk value is taken into account!

One is vertically connected while the other lays flat.
    There might be structural properties that differ between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

can u pm me the 2 products please as I don't think its as simple as the same except for joints and the expressed lambda values.

There is a big difference between 0.03 and 0.022 so the production process is different
    smaller is always more expensive and u are paying for this as well as the ease of using the smaller sheets.

In passing, a 200mm cavity is sceil eile, as opposed to 100 or 150

PM received and replied to, hopefully OP will come back here once my comments are reviewed.
    If not I will do a kiss ( my dog) and tell :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement