Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22T Target

Options
  • 04-01-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Guys

Does anyone know if the 10/22T, the target model, is it threaded.
    From what I see on their site it doesn't look like it is.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Guys

Thanks

Not sure if it is.
    BUT are you looking at the US site?? Imported models are different in that a lot are threaded for a mod and if threaded are usually 1/2" UNF not the US 1/2" UNEF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

No they don't come with treads. My one didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Do you use yours for Target/Hunter or Gallery Rifle.

I'm looking at getting into Gallery Rifle which everyone seems to use the 10/22. But they seem to customise it a huge amount. I just want something good to start off with.

I've read that the standard 10/22 out of the box is not very accurate. How do you find your target model.
    No they don't come with treads. My one didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Do you use yours for Target/Hunter or Gallery Rifle.

I'm looking at getting into Gallery Rifle which everyone seems to use the 10/22. But they seem to customise it a huge amount. I just want something good to start off with.

I've read that the standard 10/22 out of the box is not very accurate. How do you find your target model.

The standard 10/22 out of the box is accurate enough for gallery rifle. Of course if you upgrade it with a custom barrel and trigger, it can become more accurate. The main problem is the trigger. The trigger pull is too great out of the box which means that you are more likely to move the gun when pulling the trigger.

The target version has a better trigger but still it isn't anywhere near as good as a Kidd one or two stage trigger. The barrel is better on the target version too.

Most people prefer the Boyd's stock rather than the standard stock that comes with the Ruger 10/22 but that's down to personal choice. I find the Boyd's stock easier to use.

I know one guy who shoots unbelievably good with a 10/22 target model that isn't customised to the last. No fancy stock or anything like that. It's pretty much the same as when he bought it in the shop. The b*****d is hitting anything that he points at. :-) If it works for him, it might work for you.

The target model is a good bit more expensive than the standard model. €390 v €685 with one dealer here in Ireland.

Personally I'd buy the cheaper one, stick a Kidd trigger in it and a Boyd's stock on it. It's then race ready. Granted it's not a Ferrari but it's not a Fiat Punto either. Down the road you could change the barrel or other bits and pieces according to how deep your pockets are.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

You can never out shoot a standard barrel in a ruger 10/22 As in the basic entry model I purchased 10 years ago came threaded.

Some advice, buy the basic model 10/22, a Kidd trigger, 2 stage if you have the money. rail, recoil buffer and a good scope.
    The rest will come with plenty of time and practice, there is no rush, its all I used for years and I was happy.

Most importantly buy what you can afford and buy it once, build it up over time, your shooting position will change over time, no sense in spending 4k on something you cant use properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Oh

stock, buy it with butt plate and cheak piece, Bell and Carlson br50 stock10/22 . Boyds don't do these as standard and the bell stock is expensive but worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Mostly use it for hunting but have brought it out to over 400 yards on targets. It's pretty accurate e gen I do my part. Was shooting a shotgun shell at 200 and was impressed with the accuracy. It can put 10 out of 10 into hole the size of a 20 cent coin at 50 off a bench. Only did 2 mods on it put in nylon buffet and lightened the trigger myself

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Butters_99

Another question seems close enough to the topic going on here is the ruger 10/22 standard adequate for hunting rabbits and generally shooting targets around 50-70yrds as i dont want to spend all the cash on the target version for it to be just about the as the standard.

Can anyone give 50yrd differance between the two standard and target.

didnt want to start a new tread when this is basically the same topic

Start of with a standard Ruger 10/22 with timber stock it will do you well.

Dump the trigger ASAP for a KIDD single stage.
    Then at your own pace change out the other bits and bobs.

I now have a 10/22 without any Ruger parts left on it. It gets to be like a car that you upgrade all the time. Go faster stripes, alloy wheels, engine tune-up etc.

What size groups would you get with the standard rifle at 50yrds
    1 inch or 1/2 inch
    Just want to know what size it would get because looking at a cz455 but i already have the 17hmr and looking for something lighter and cheaper to shoot. If it didnt have a good group i would buy a cz instead.

• Advertisement

Butters_99 wrote: »
    What size groups would you get with the standard rifle at 50yrds
    1 inch or 1/2 inch
    Just want to know what size it would get because looking at a cz455 but i already have the 17hmr and looking for something lighter and cheaper to shoot. If it didnt have a good group i would buy a cz instead.

Thread Hi-Jack,
    A bolt action rifle would give better groups than a semi-auto.
    The CZ 455 with the 16" barrel is a good choice. Expect 1/2" groups at 50m from it

K thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Guys

Thanks

Firstly the 10/22 T is not threaded, and the barrel in my opinion is way too long and too nose heavy for off hand Gallery shooting, as all of the Gallery shooters have mentioned, buy the cheaper basic model and you can use it straight away on the range, get a gunsmith to do some work on the ruger trigger or change it out , and your good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

Honestly,

There are various suggestions here and they're all valid.

You need to go down to your nearest target shooting club and tell them you're interested and want to join. With any luck there'll be a few members there who'll show you their various 10/22s. Shoulder them, get a feel for them and come to a hands on decision. You're not going to get your answer here.

FYI,

I've a 10/22 with a boyds stock which didn't fit me and just about does now as I've added a bisley adjustable pad to it. I've a volquartsen barrel which I'm now thinking is a bit too light and I'd a high magnification scope which I've replaced. All in the space of less than a year. I bought a top end gun which everyone said was perfect at the time. But I need to change things already. My point is, you don't know until you shoot.

So get a go on as many rifles as you can. After that, if you can find an old knackered stock 10/22, buy it, change the trigger and see how you get on.

After a year the only original part left will probably be the receiver. But it should be you who's the one to decide what to charge piecemeal based on how you're shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

I shoot a 10/22 tactical
    They are not threaded but can be done for 70 or 80e
    Great fun to shoot
    Stick a mod on it and your good to go

Advertisement