Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maple-y maple syrup.

Options
  • 04-01-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

Friends and neighbours and devoted boardsers, I invite you to employ your vast collected wisdom to answer this;

what is the most maple-y maple syrup?
    I mean the most strongly and distinctively maple-flavoured.

I ask because I was trying to make maple cookies as part of my Christmas bake-athon: not for the first time, either: but it still doesn't taste like the tastebuds of my brain are imagining they should taste like - like rich maple syrup.
    I went to a local supermarket and they had FIVE kinds of maple syrup on the top shelf: but how was I to know which one to choose?

Very glad of all assistance on this one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The one I bought was Louis, extreme left: I can't remember what price it was (not the cheapest) but the biscuits were quite disappointing: even though I added drops of concentrated Maple Flavouring Essence.

When I tasted the syrup, it is hardly any more maple-y than ordinary corn syrup, even though the label claims "100% pure maple syrup". Really quite mild, almost bland.

What am I missing? What makes the tasty stuff tasty? - The kind I used to pour over pancakes from a flat bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

@Alun - that is completely fascinating: thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it seems that sometimes "more expensive" isn't always "better", depending on your definition!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I get mine in Aldi and like it. Only use it for pouring over blueberry pancakes though, am not sure what it'd be like for baking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I get mine in Aldi and like it. Only use it for pouring over blueberry pancakes though, am not sure what it'd be like for baking.
    +1 for the aldi syrup. It's a good price and is one of the best tasting maple syrups (any of the ones in tesco usually aren't worthy of pancakes and only end up in cookies to get used up)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use the Aldi one too, it tastes great for the price. Of the 'purer' ones, I sometimes buy Jakeman's and it's lovely.

Oh dear, @Tree!

I can't recommend that: the cookies just don't taste of maple. :-(

And mine had pecans on top and were part of a careful and usually delicious selection of Christmas biscuits.

Was disappointed, and that's not the first time it's happened, either.

What maple-cookie recipe do you use, if I may ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As maple syrup is so expensive I would think there are recipes which would use regular sugar and you just might brush the top with maple syrup, so it does not get "lost" as much in the thick biscuit. I would also wonder if the cooking process lessens the taste.

That link was saying to look for grade B. There are still cheapo syrups with artifical flavourings, like Lyle maple flavour golden syrup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

katemarch wrote: »
    Oh dear, @Tree!

I can't recommend that: the cookies just don't taste of maple. :-(

And mine had pecans on top and were part of a careful and usually delicious selection of Christmas biscuits.

Was disappointed, and that's not the first time it's happened, either.

What maple-cookie recipe do you use, if I may ask?
    It's a peanut butter and maple syrup one from some cheapo baking book I got a million years ago. Will fish it out when I get home later.

They don't taste soley of maple, but it's a lovely hint of maple. The lyle's "maple" syrup might be more what you're after, it's rotten on pancakes but worked well in the cookies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement