Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New year's day faller

Options
  • 04-01-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I was at Fairyhouse last Friday, and was upset to see an animal called FlamingPolly fall and, it seems, break her leg.

It looks like she was put to sleep - the "curtain of death" was certainly put around her.

I would have liked to hear just a brief word of condolence from the commentator, but I didn't.

Am I right in thinking that such breaks are more likely to happen in soft or heavy going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

They can happen in the stable at home or the field at home, in any type of ground. The commentator is there to commentate on the race, not to give post race analysis of injured horses. You can just imagine the mood at the track if 10 minutes after the race he said x had to be humanely euthanized. The broadsheets normally have time to report on these sad events when they occur. Thankfully, they are rare but do happen be it at the stable or track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

OK, but the broadheet I read did not mention it, and nor did the other entries I looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

OK, but the broadheet I read did not mention it, and nor did the other entries I looked at.

The racing post would likely have in their race analysis if they had the news before editor deadline

Advertisement