Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asics Support Shoes-Recommendations?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into the differences between Asics support shoes. I'm currently wearing Kayanos and have been for the past 2/3 years. I'm running quite a bit more now and finding that they don't last as long as they used to so am wondering if I went for the Phoenix or the Gel-Noosa Tri, and bought two pairs that I could rotate, would there be much difference in the support?

or, am I just better off sticking with the Kayanos?

Any advice and input would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Very little difference in the level of support but a massive difference in the level of comfort between the Phoenix & Kayano and possibly durability.

All depends on what you are doing. Regular 5-10k you'll be grand in the Phoenix and barely notice the difference, it really is a key difference in longer runs though. Best to try them on and compare yourself. Big price difference too though Kayano 22 €180ish Vs Phoenix €100

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Thanks for that. Most of my runs would be longer than 10K so maybe I better stick with the Kayanos. Or maybe Kayanos with a pair of Phoenix that I could use for shorter runs and that might make them last longer?

Or a second job so I can afford the Kayanos! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Rotating the shoes is the right way to go about stretching the lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Is there an equivalent to Kayanos in any other brand or would that be playing with fire ? I've no issues with them outside of the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you not get holes in the toe of every pair you've ever owned, a widespread issue apparently and problem Asics deny exists. A few years ago I brought a pair of Kayanos back after less than 2 months and the store wouldn't take them off me and replace or send back as they said Asics won't do anything about it and they'd be left stuck with them.

They were my last pair of Asics I ever bought (they were expensive then, but not €180 expensive) and moved to Brooks and haven't looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you not get holes in the toe of every pair you've ever owned, a widespread issue apparently and problem Asics deny exists. A few years ago I brought a pair of Kayanos back after less than 2 months and the store wouldn't take them off me and replace or send back as they said Asics won't do anything about it and they'd be left stuck with them.

They were my last pair of Asics I ever bought (they were expensive then, but not €180 expensive) and moved to Brooks and haven't looked back.

I don't get holes but my husband had a few pairs & got toe holes in all of them. What Brooks model would be equivalent do you know (I presume they have different models )

For me anyway I moved to the Adrenaline GTS. At the time my shortlist was between those, Mizuno Wave of some sort and Saucony of some sort (I just can't remember at this stage!) I think there was little difference between the Brooks and Saucony with the Brooks feeling slightly more comfortable.

Your best giving each a try yourself if you can.

I never get holes in the toes of mine but I know several people who have this issue.

In the past I've tried Nike Lunarglide but I find them quite wide. Also have the Mizuno Wave but the sole had a very rigid part that I could hear clicking every time I ran and that annoyed me (first world problems!)

I might check out the Brooks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good shoe comparison site, type your shoe in the search box and it will give you similar shoes to compare: http://runrepeat.com/asics-gel-kayano

Just to add, the 2015 Adrenaline fits tighter than previous versions so I've seen it recommended to go a half size bigger. I noticed the difference but it wasn't too much of a one so stuck with my regular size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I just got another pair of Nike Zoom Structure 18 after my kayanos starting getting holes in the toe. Had about 4 pairs of structure (2x15), 17 and 18 and never got holes in any, last pair of 18's have over 700 miles and still no holes where as the kayano started to hole up at around 400. Kayanos are more comfortable but the price you pay for something that falls to pieces is not worth it.

I just got another pair of Nike Zoom Structure 18 after my kayanos starting getting holes in the toe. Had about 4 pairs of structure (2x15), 17 and 18 and never got holes in any, last pair of 18's have over 700 miles and still no holes where as the kayano started to hole up at around 400. Kayanos are more comfortable but the price you pay for something that falls to pieces is not worth it.

I might have a look at these too. I've no problem with the Kayanos falling apart but the price is a killer, esp since I've upped the mileage. Would they have the same support as the Kayanos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

sibeen99 wrote: »
    I might have a look at these too. I've no problem with the Kayanos falling apart but the price is a killer, esp since I've upped the mileage. Would they have the same support as the Kayanos?

They would, little bit tighter in your size so check that.

Advertisement