Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I will add however, the movie is stunning, visually. Every shot is a postcard. Some scenes in particular blew me away with the composition and beauty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I love the Luke and Leia reunion so much.

Total repeat but a flip on their final scene in ROTJ

What do you remember about your mother/ son?

I know he’s truly gone.

Nobody is ever truly gone/there’s still good in him

I have to face him.

And Luke and leias theme playing over it. Bawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

david75 wrote: »
    I love the Luke and Leia reunion so much.

Total repeat but a flip on their final scene in ROTJ

What do you remember about your mother/ son?

I know he’s truly gone.

Nobody is ever truly gone/there’s still good in him

I have to face him.

And Luke and leias theme playing over it. Bawling.

I wont lie, i shed a tear tonight watching it! It wasn't because i was sad, it was because it was beautiful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was alright, certainly had its moments but overall the film just boils down to a poorly written chase scene with too much slapstick, a kick in the balls for anyone that liked the old Star Wars characters. The film was too long. As far as Rey is concerned she is far too much Mary Sue, because they have to show 'Girl Power', she does not earn anything(maybe it is a reflection of modern Millennial expectations). So many plot holes and unresolved threads it just does not make much sense if you take time to think about it. The film was over crowded and scenes jumped all over the place. Except for the visuals there is very little substance to the film, I do not think Rian Johnson knows what he is doing as he has left the SW universe a mess. I dont see how he is the "force" Disney wants to propel the Star Wars universe forward?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

(maybe it is a reflection of modern Millennial expectations)

This sentiment is weirdly common in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I think people getting worked over nothing re the Poe/Hux stuff, I thought it was great. People seem to forget the original trilogy had its share of slapstick, like:

Han in the Death Star control room - "slight weapons malfuntion, were ok here, how are you?"

Yoda's intro to Luke in Empire, particularly about the light - "mine, mine or I'll help you not"

Chewbacca doing the Tarzan call as he swings on a vine in ROTJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

obvious to say but empires ships have so many flaws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH other than the cringey opening "holding for general Hux" exchange, which was pretty brutal,

It was fine if they had not milked it. He does it three times in succession I think. Once as enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Grayditch wrote: »
    It was fine if they had not milked it. He does it three times in succession I think. Once as enough.

Well the whole point of it is that he's trying to stall for time

It was alright, certainly had its moments but overall the film just boils down to a poorly written chase scene with too much slapstick, a kick in the balls for anyone that liked the old Star Wars characters. The film was too long. As far as Rey is concerned she is far too much Mary Sue, because they have to show 'Girl Power', she does not earn anything(maybe it is a reflection of modern Millennial expectations). So many plot holes and unresolved threads it just does not make much sense if you take time to think about it. The film was over crowded and scenes jumped all over the place. Except for the visuals there is very little substance to the film, I do not think Rian Johnson knows what he is doing as he has left the SW universe a mess. I dont see how he is the "force" Disney wants to propel the Star Wars universe forward?:eek:

Think you're being overly harsh but I also agree with everything you've said! Johnson made a bit of a mess of it, but also brought some really interesting story progression to the main arc. The movie was more than alright, but has its flaws.

• Advertisement

Well the whole point of it is that he's trying to stall for time

I dunno, I get why they wrote it... but I hate the way they make Hux the stupid idiot.

I want my villians to be clever, sinister.. not dumb senseless thugs otherwise what presence do they have? It'd have been better IMO if he caught him out with it once, made the audience laugh, tried it a second time whilst Hux nodded silently to a gunner to open fire on him.

Just felt a bit dummed down.

Could you imagine the scene with Tarkin? What would he have done? Fair enough they're two different characters, but you must think that someone like Hux doesn't get to where he is at his young age without brains.

Not to start a thing but I think in time we’ll come around to seeing this as one of the best Star Wars films. Sounds controversial but it’s got more of the actual elements in it and repeat beats of the OT then even TFA does. And because they’re so cleverly employed they bring them forward in totally new ways.

Johnson has upended the expectations we all had but he’s just showing them in a different way.

*ps I hated this movie first go. On my fifth viewing and it’s one of my favourites. And no I don’t love it simply coz I’m a fanboi and it says Star Wars. If that were true I’d love rogue one and I really don’t love rogue one.
    This ones gonna rise in all our rankings I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Biggest flaw for me is not knowing how C-3PO got his arm back and where did the red one go?

Yeh I defo feel like I need to see it again a few times. I've only seen it once, and that was after two days of solid Christmas party drinking, so I was pretty tired... But can't help but feel a real directors edit on this would actually be making the film shorter and changing up/removing some scenes.

Also after seeing the movie it makes this poster all the more powerful!

starwarsthelast.8199c150106.original.jpg

Gotta get one of these framed now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

.ak wrote: »
    Yeh I defo feel like I need to see it again a few times. I've only seen it once, and that was after two days of solid Christmas party drinking, so I was pretty tired... But can't help but feel a real directors edit on this would actually be making the film shorter and changing up/removing some scenes.

That is one thing I wonder about, were some of the questionable elements in the film actually Studio interference, do not forget how picky Disney are about these films(firing directors, lots of reshoots)

That is one thing I wonder about, were some of the questionable elements in the film actually Studio interference, do not forget how picky Disney are about these films(firing directors, lots of reshoots)

Thing is Disney don’t make these films. They release them and fund them. Lucasfilm makes these films. As they always have. Disney have been totally hands off in all of this. There will be no directors cut but there will be a directors commentary on the blu ray apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

david75 wrote: »
    Thing is Disney don’t make these films. They release them and fund them. Lucasfilm makes these films. As they always have. Disney have been totally hands off in all of this. There will be no directors cut but there will be a directors commentary on the blu ray apparently.

This is the second time you've claimed this, but I'm not sure the evidence bears this out.

Take Rogue One as an example. It was only after Bob Iger (Disney head honcho) and Alan Horn (studio chairman) viewed a rough cut that the extensive reshoots were ordered and Tony Gilroy was brought on to oversee the finished film.

Sure, Disney want to make it appear that they are letting the artists work away without interference, but from everything I read about Iger and his control of the Disney subsidiaries, he's the one ultimately calling the shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,436 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

When I rewatched Empire for the first time in a good few years, I was actually taken aback at Yoda's first appearance. Crass and goofy as anything! It obviously has a reason behind it, but still jumps out: even in its most sombre film (well, until Rogue One), the series can still be silly as ****!

It's not really that silly. Yoda is acting the maggot to test Luke. He wants to see if he has the patience to become a Jedi. He soon finds out that Luke lacks patience and gets petulant.

Then Yoda reveals who he truly is.

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's not really that silly. Yoda is acting the maggot to test Luke. He wants to see if he has the patience to become a Jedi. He soon finds out that Luke lacks patience and gets petulant.

Then Yoda reveals who he truly is.

Regardless of why, it's pure Frank Oz silliness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Biggest flaw for me is not knowing how C-3PO got his arm back and where did the red one go?

If you look at the last bit of TFA when they are waving Ray off 3PO all ready has his proper arm back.

Edit.

So you can blame this guy.

latest?cb=20150426072151

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I enjoyed it but i’ve yet to watch a Star Wars I didn’t like (including Attack of the Clones!)

The film does very very little to progress the overall plot of the series which was disappointing to me. I know at the end they try to dress it all up as a necessary spark that will inspire the furture fight but that spark could have been covered in the opening text sequence...

I think it at least took a few more chances than TFA which really was over rated by many who looked through at it through nostalgia tinted glasses. Like I said though, I enjoyed both films.

Wedwood wrote: »
    I think people getting worked over nothing re the Poe/Hux stuff, I thought it was great. People seem to forget the original trilogy had its share of slapstick, like:

Han in the Death Star control room - "slight weapons malfuntion, were ok here, how are you?"

Yoda's intro to Luke in Empire, particularly about the light - "mine, mine or I'll help you not"

Chewbacca doing the Tarzan call as he swings on a vine in ROTJ.

None of that is slapstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So

So like

Phasma..

Do you think she'll be in a vader-style respirator suit in the next film.. only that it'll be Chrome?

She did look to be falling into Fire.

Last person she saw was Finn. Throwing daggers n all.

Her hunting Finn in IX maybe?

Tony EH wrote: »
    None of that is slapstick.

Then what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I dunno, I get why they wrote it... but I hate the way they make Hux the stupid idiot.

I want my villians to be clever, sinister.. not dumb senseless thugs otherwise what presence do they have? It'd have been better IMO if he caught him out with it once, made the audience laugh, tried it a second time whilst Hux nodded silently to a gunner to open fire on him.

Just felt a bit dummed down.

Could you imagine the scene with Tarkin? What would he have done? Fair enough they're two different characters, but you must think that someone like Hux doesn't get to where he is at his young age without brains.

I can’t remember the exact quote but Snoke himself refers to Hux’ general incompetence/ stupidity as being a useful asset to him (although i’m not 100% sure why it actually is / was)

Regardless of why, it's pure Frank Oz silliness.

Sure. But there's a point to it.

It's not just silliness for the sake of it.

Then what is it?

Slapstick is physical comedy, the kind of stuff you see Charlie Chaplin doing.

Solo's lines in 'Star Wars' is just mildly funny dialogue. He's caught off guard. Doesn't know procedure and tries to bluff his way out of a tight situation and fails miserably.

But, it feels natural and unforced. It isn't goofball antics and a signifier that the audience has to laugh now, which unfortunately so much so called "comedy" is in hollywood films these days - including modern Star Wars.

Slydice wrote: »
    So

So like

Phasma..

Do you think she'll be in a vader-style respirator suit in the next film.. only that it'll be Chrome?

She did look to be falling into Fire.

Last person she saw was Finn. Throwing daggers n all.

Her hunting Finn in IX maybe?

Oh let's just hope she's bloody dead this time.

Absolute joke "character".

Poor Gwen. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

So Lando will be in the last movie he is been held in a carbon force field by a huge space slug on Jakku.

Two years have passed and Ray is almost a full Mary Sue by unbeknownst to her and the rest of the crew but knownst to us the First Order is building a new Starkiller base many more times lame then the first one.

With only one ship the new rebellion must convince the Porg army to join the struggle but convincing the Porg queen will be an uphill battle.

There will also be quad speeder chase.

Everybody will be jumping for joy that once again JJ Abrams has delivered an original Star Wars masterpiece.

Advertisement