Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If Yoda is in the film I'll be shocked if they use the puppet. It never looked that convincing except in Empire and Kershner put the film over budget and over schedule to achieve that. Modern filmmakers wouldn't have the patience for it, especially when there's a sceptical studio executive standing over their shoulder.

There's already going to be several CGI characters in the film. What difference does another make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Whatever they do, they shouldn't get the modellers/animators who did the CGI Yoda in the prequels back. Because that was laughable to say the least.

The muppet Yoda in the originals was a million times more believable than that...thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Chewie visited a school in Kerry :)
    13230108_1282794315082431_2675892488740948749_n.jpg?oh=0bff378bb2c4b7c8d1798cab357081f2&oe=57D36D44&__gda__=1472650739_3a8562ee2d5e4248257aa92e5a1f6b88

they'll definitely use the puppet..The CGI Yoda was all kinds of awful...plus remember the whole push with these is practical effects in the real sense..why else build sets in Kerry that could much easily be rendered in CGI..

david75 wrote: »
    Chewie visited a school in Kerry

I think I would have had a fit of some description if that had happened back in my school days.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

They are reporting that it was Peter Mayhew that visited the school in Kerry but I think it was the more mobile actor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

they'll definitely use the puppet..The CGI Yoda was all kinds of awful...plus remember the whole push with these is practical effects in the real sense..why else build sets in Kerry that could much easily be rendered in CGI..

As the visual effects reel for TFA showed, the return to practical effects was overblown for marketing purposes. There's loads of CGI in the film, more than there even was in the prequels (which actually employed far more real sets and miniatures than they are given credit for). It's just used better more effectively.

Abrams was planning to use a puppet for Maz but ditched it due to time constraints.

py2006 wrote: »
    They are reporting that it was Peter Mayhew that visited the school in Kerry but I think it was the more mobile actor.

There's no way that's Peter Mayhew. He can't walk without sticks these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think for a character like Yoda, there will be a huge spotlight on his appearance. Dropping a puppet Maz for a CG Maz wouldn't be such a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but Yoda is a different story. It'd be like dropping a physical Wookie suit & using a CG Wookie imo. The prequel CG Yoda was terrible, so it's all the worse when it's a well known character.

Yeh. People know Yoda and they know him as this:

yoda.jpg

They never met Miz Cantina before, so anything would have done.

BTW, I have no objection to her. I actually though she was a great example of well worked CGI.

The character itself, though, was a load of old pony.

• Advertisement

My mate just met Rey in a pub in Kerry. delighted for her. Ragin I didn't stay in Kerry. .

So filming in Ireland is wrapped. Ten days. Gotta be a lot of stuff. Rey in training? Confrontation with Kylo and his goons. Now we wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Just in case anyone is in the area and looking to get a picture or autograph. :)

https://twitter.com/FlyFromCORK/status/735783942196887552

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

So filming in Ireland is wrapped. Ten days. Gotta be a lot of stuff. Rey in training? Confrontation with Kylo and his goons. Now we wait :)

Only 10 days filming seems nuts considering the set props they built. All the beehive huts and a Millennium Falcon? I know those things can't be left there permanently but they should at least keep them there for the summer and allow people over to get some photos on the sets. i'd pay for that! Great for tourism even if it was only temporary!

Historically all sets and props are destroyed soon as they're finished with them. Couple of Falcons models were broken up and binned in the filming of the original trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wow, never seen this before:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Historically all sets and props are destroyed soon as they're finished with them. Couple of Falcons models were broken up and binned in the filming of the original trilogy.

BINNED!!! Sacrilige! If i had the land i'd take it ha!

What's that out the back lad, ah just this old rust bucket i keep onto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

People have to remember that these are sets, never designed to be permanent structures.
    Sets are usually striked the minute they are finished serving their use, more cost effective than storing them even if they were being used again in the future.

Second thing is insurance. The amount of H&S the crew have to go through before even stepping onto set isn't small, and that's people who know what they are doing and know what to look out for.

Btw, this is speaking from personal experience, so not a generalisation of all medium/large film projects

People have to remember that these are sets, never designed to be permanent structures.
    Sets are usually striked the minute they are finished serving their use, more cost effective than storing them even if they were being used again in the future.

Second thing is insurance. The amount of H&S the crew have to go through before even stepping onto set isn't small, and that's people who know what they are doing and know what to look out for.

Btw, this is speaking from personal experience, so not a generalisation of all medium/large film projects

All the good that H&S did Harrison Ford making Force Awakens.

Wonder if who was ever in charge of that was fired?

That podcast I posted, Kasdan says that accident actually was the best thing that could have happened. Ford came back from it a new man and with a whole new energy and they reshot all his scenes and they're the ones we have now. Glad it happened. It was Han we had on screen not a grumpy old Ford, which he has been for years.

Ford has been phoning it in since 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'. It's a minor miracle that they got any performance out of him at all.

He's still a dick for wanting to kill off Solo though.

• Advertisement

What was the joke?
    He's gonna do one more Indy film They're gonna kill him off. Indy will be in a cavern and Han Solos corpse will fall on him killing him instantly.

After the last Indy film, I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ford has been phoning it in since 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'. It's a minor miracle that they got any performance out of him at all.

He's still a dick for wanting to kill off Solo though.

It's not like that wasn't the original intention back with Return of the Jedi; iirc Solo was meant to die anyway, before Lucas nixed the script & changed it so all our heroes could ride off into the sunset. Honestly, while I was disappointed he was offed by Ben, it just felt like a very overdue conclusion to Han's story.

I don't think Han dying was ever part of any plan. Ford wanted him to die in Jedi so he wouldn't have to do anymore films. And maybe Kasdan thought the film needed some sacrifice. But it was never part of Lucas's plan. His death in TFA is part of a storyline that couldn't have happened in Jedi.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's not like that wasn't the original intention back with Return of the Jedi; iirc Solo was meant to die anyway, before Lucas nixed the script & changed it so all our heroes could ride off into the sunset. Honestly, while I was disappointed he was offed by Ben, it just felt like a very overdue conclusion to Han's story.

Solo was never meant to die. Ford just wanted to kill him off in Jedi, more than likely to get out of having to play the character again.

Lucas told him to stuff it.

I get the impression that Ford never really liked playing Han Solo, or the Star Wars thing as a whole.

Tiniest clip of Maz bringing the roof down...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQN2njdxSU

So if you put on the scene in ROTJ where the super star destroyer is crashin into the Death Star and you're looking out over Ackbars shoulder at it, you can actually hear a rebel shout 'so long dickheads!'

I was skeptical and just put it on to see and it's there! In the original cut, have yet to check the 97 edition.

A Jawa says "Here comes the window cleaner" when he's approaching C3PO in the sand crawler, 16 minutes into Star Wars.

I'll have to check that "dickheads" thing. Problem is, once these things are heard they can't be unheard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A bit like when Leia gets shot in Return of the Jedi, Harrison ford gropes her boob. I didn't notice it until somebody pointed it out to me and now it's all I see. Solo, you old dog you! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

pixelburp wrote: »

I recall one version of the ROTJ 'sacrifice' was that Lando Calrissian doesn't escape from the Death Star and he goes along with the Millenium Falcon. They decided it was too much of a downer to end the Trilogy on, so he escapes by the skin of his teeth.

BTW, back in 1983, everybody loved the way the movie ended - good guys won, baddies lost. This 'somebody has to die' lark to give it gravitas has only crept in over the last few years by this grumpy and gloomy generation.

The grumpy and gloomy gang got their way with Han Solo, now leave Luke Skywalker alone !!!!

Advertisement