Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

david75 wrote: »
    oh sorry, its just your post said that they said they were really unhappy with the film..so they didnt actually say it at all? right.

I never said "really unhappy" - I said "not happy"
    Not being happy is the inverse of being happy...
    Now look at those 2 clips and tell me that either actor is happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mark Hamill is clearly very unhappy with the direction Luke goes in TLJ.

I wouldn't read too much into that clip of Daisy. Her hesitation and overall response could meet any one of a thousand things, she may even have been referencing herself rather than the actual movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Jaysus the review comments on IMDB are brutal. People are very angry about this film.
    I don't blame them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

The trailer was the best thing about this movie and even the trailer was misleading.

I am not surprised Mark Hamill is unhappy with how his character played out. He knew it made no sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

geecee wrote: »
    I never said "really unhappy" - I said "not happy"
    Not being happy is the inverse of being happy...
    Now look at those 2 clips and tell me that either actor is happy?

ok..you went from 'they said' to 'inferred' they were unhappy with the film though.. which is it?

I love mark and his honesty, If anyone is allowed to be a bit too attached to their headcanon, it's Mark. Especially since he and Lucas spoke about Luke resuming the role in this era as the Alec Guiness character. He's been carrying that around for over 30 years... obviously he is more than entitled to his opinion. However, his view of Luke would have made for a far less daring movie that would have drawn its own criticisms about being formulaic

as for Daisy shes been quite open about being insecure about her acting and unsatisfied with her own performances based in that insecurity about them and, doing 500 press interviews a week and living on a plane and endless hotels while on a month long pressjunket takes it toll..i wouldnt be able to maintain a level of excitement necessary to do it and yet here we are taking that and turning it into 'shes not happy with the film'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Mark Hamill is clearly very unhappy with the direction Luke goes in TLJ.

I wouldn't read too much into that clip of Daisy. Her hesitation and overall response could meet any one of a thousand things, she may even have been referencing herself rather than the actual movie.

Daisy Ridley has however said 'my contractual obligation is to 3 movies and no more, after that I'm done'. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

The reality is that NDA's get signed on films like this, the players are contractually obliged to 'speak no evil'. Often for a specified period of time after the film is released, and of course it's career suicide to crap on a movie you're a part of, particularly a movie for a studio (or a Wienstien) with a lot of power. Hamill however, at the end of his career (and probably banked more money for one scene with no dialogue at the end of TFA then he did for the entire original trilogy), doesn't give a $h1t

That kind of explains the reviews also. After the LA times wrote an article about Disney's tax status that caused a ruckus when Disney banned the paper's reviewers from premiers and advanced screenings. The message from the monolith is explicit, 'critisism and poor reviews will lead to bans so give it a harsh review and you'll be watching the movie with the rests of the plebs on opening night.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/disney-abandons-la-times-blacklist-after-backlash-from-film-critics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am now convinced that there must be 'pay for good reviews' in the media.

I simply can't believe for one second that every single film reviewer and newspaper so far think that this is either a good/very good/excellent film. It's just not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is David75 being paid by Disney Ireland? He has over 25% of the posts in this thread! :D

Is David75 being paid by Disney Ireland? He has over 25% of the posts in this thread! :D

yeah i'm rolling in thousands of 50 euro notes right now planning a trip to vegas where hopefully i meet an end worthy of jon entwhistle. thats the plan anyways.

NIMAN wrote: »

I simply can't believe for one second that every single film reviewer and newspaper so far think that this is either a good/very good/excellent film. It's just not possible.

theres countless films recently that were totally slated by critics and have massive audience support. thats not an anomaly. critics like weird stuff that they think is high minded and challenging. general audiences really dont like being challenged at all. FAst and furious series or one of those types of films, has nothing for critics and they hate it but its one of the biggest franchises out there. wouldnt say theres any payola happening..pretty sure theres laws against it, and why lose your job and credibility as a journalist for a one off payout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Guess what I agree with you it would be a very naive PERSON to believe otherwise.
    I just happened to enjoy The Last Jedi however.

I really think The Force Awakens was the worsts Star Wars movie and loads of people just jumped on the bandwagon.

There was propaganda for a full year before the film you know practical effects and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

it's an open secret that some film outlets would give movies an easier ride in exchange for swag, junkets or material bribes, but those outlets are well known, and it's a career built upon trust and reputation so why risk it for sole bribes? equally it's an open secret that user aggregate scores are frequently at the whim of so-called bombing and hate/hype campaigns. Studios game the social system just as much too, plenty of companies offering services to add clicks, likes or whatever to generate 'viral' content.

If you look hard enough, both ends of the critical spectrum are rotten - if you look in the right places along the fringes. At least crooked critics are easy to spot by dint of their professional necessities: the manipulation of user scores and data is more insidious and lobsided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

geecee wrote: »
    You are the one that posted the clip of Mark Hamill above where he is pretty vehemently unhappy

Daisy Ridley was non-committal in another clip that was posted earlier. If she was actually happy with the movie she would be gushing (human nature) instead she simply inferred that the movie was meh

I’m surprised this is news to anybody who has been following any Star Wars buildup. Hamill has been saying this for ages, long before the movie came out. I’m not sure what he said that suggested the movie was “meh”, I took it that he didn’t agree with the story or character progression.

Have you links to Daisy? Didn’t know she was unhappy with the movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,775 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I get the idea of checking a review for something you've never heard of, to gauge whether or not you should check it out, but who actually cares about review scores for something like a Star Wars movie?

Drumpot wrote: »

Have you links to Daisy? Didn’t know she was unhappy with the movie!

She seemed tired in one of her thousands of interviews in the build up to the movie, it's pretty obvious she thinks this movie is a disgrace to the arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

436708.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Im confused. Are we shills now? I don't speak gif. :D

Wish I was tbh, got bills to pay & seems like a nice gig

pixelburp wrote: »
    Im confused. Are we shills now? I don't speak gif. :D

Wish I was tbh, got bills to pay & seems like a nice gig

dont bother..theyre all russian bots paid for by trump cos hes angry at the politcal commentary in TLJ about US weapons sales to both sides and making people poor etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I spoke to a critic today who gave the film a good review. He hated it, obviously, but was given a twenty quid note, a toy lightsaber and some DLC for Star Wars: Battlefront II so he said '**** it' and gave it four stars.

It's all about ethics in Star Wars journalism.

people liked it! i didnt!! they must be geting paid!!

i think the bottom of the barrel has been scraped through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I get the idea of checking a review for something you've never heard of, to gauge whether or not you should check it out, but who actually cares about review scores for something like a Sat Wars movie?

It’s funny cause my initial reaction to the movie was “not sure”. I was tired for the midnight show so I don’t think I want to do that again because I didn’t enjoy it.

The humour with Hux was a bit, WTF?! The Leia moment certainly had me thinking “Mary Poppins, not sure I’m loving this but maybe somebody though this was a nice way of not killing off character and giving her a talking point?!

I remember the battle star chase where they were being followed by cylons relentlessly. I’m not sure that came to mind. In my fatigue I thought “so this is it?. A ship chase and trying to convince a monk to leave his island?”.... I was thinking “when are we getting to the AtAts?”

By the time They got to the planet I just wanted to go home. I was shattered and couldn’t think of anything but bed!!!

Brought the kids to it the next day. Enjoyed the Hux - Poe dialogue because my children were enjoying it. I wasn’t there just for me (like the midnight show) and I didn’t have much expectation because I was too tired to enjoy it night before but knew what to expect. The Leia thing was actually a nice moment, possibly because I had the kids with me and I got the impression that they got to see a magical movie moment.

Knowing how Luke’s story ended made his early movie behaviour easier to take in. I really enjoyed Luke’s redemption story and feel that to not bring in these changes would d led to a very predictable “oh Luke’s here, he’s very wise and powerful, he’s gonna steer things back on track”. I like the way they handled Luke’s exit.

I don’t think people will necessarily change their opinion on second viewing. My advice would be if you hate it, don’t bother seeing it again. Maybe Star Wars is ruined for you and you should just bury your past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

david75 wrote: »
    people liked it! i didnt!! they must be geting paid!!

i think the bottom of the barrel has been scraped through.

You might want to think again.
    Petition to Remove ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ From Official Canon Has Over 13,000 Signatures

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/petition-star-wars-last-jedi-remove-canon-signatures-1201909099/

i feel badfor the guy startd that petition..hes said hes on meds and wasnt thinking clearly when he started it etc etc

but it is the very worst corrosive self entitled delusional bullsh!t to do that, and these are the same people sending Johnson death threats and Boyega and Tran racist abuse more than likely.

I spoke to a critic today who gave the film a good review. He hated it, obviously, but was given a twenty quid note, a toy lightsaber and some DLC for Star Wars: Battlefront II so he said '**** it' and gave it four stars.

It's all about ethics in Star Wars journalism.

Do you think that doesn't happen though? You should really give Peter Biskind's 'Low down dirty pictures' a read (if you haven't already), there's a reason that shakespeare in love won best picture, Miramax's vote buying and bullying was legendary. The buying of reviews is as old as the casting couch.

I think this very evenly and fairly covers the critisism around the ratings v reviews controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Knew things weren't going to go well after that early Finn "gag" of him in that suit squirting water everywhere.

Groan inducing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just can't take any of these youtube reviews with grown dudes standing in front of a shelf full of toy lightsabers seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

conorhal wrote: »
    Do you think that doesn't happen though? You should really give Peter Biskind's 'Low down dirty pictures' a read (if you haven't already), there's a reason that shakespeare in love won best picture, Miramax's vote buying and bullying was legendary. The buying of reviews is as old as the casting couch.

Do I believe there's probably a few unscrupulous reviewers and cheeky corporations out there? Sure, most likely, and there's definitely a few publications I don't take very seriously when it comes to the old reviews stake.

Do I think there has been some mass campaign, across multiple territories, to pay dozens and dozens of critics to give the Last Jedi good reviews - with everyone from The New York Times to Matt Zoller Seitz; Sight & Sound to Film Comment; Indiewire to The Sunday Business Post buying in? Absolutely not: I think it's a preposterous, incredible conspiracy theory, and will continue to believe that unless provided with substantive, credible evidence to the contrary. I mean, I don't even know why the **** Disney would need to do it in the first place with the safest box office bet in cinema.

And ultimately, I liked the film and have read multiple reviews / analyses that correspond well to my own view of the film - which, of course, means I don't find it particularly difficult to see where many critics are coming from :)

Not everything landed but I thought most of the jokes were at least fun and fit the tone.

• Advertisement

Advertisement