Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

conorhal wrote: »
    Do you think that doesn't happen though? You should really give Peter Biskind's 'Low down dirty pictures' a read (if you haven't already), there's a reason that shakespeare in love won best picture, Miramax's vote buying and bullying was legendary. The buying of reviews is as old as the casting couch.

If that were true shouldnt we have seen every Star Wars film win best picture and everything else it’s nominated for?

They have the clout financially and otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭fluke

david75 wrote: »

Her lineage or non-lineage don't bother me.

The concepts in the movie are fine. With TLJ it's all about the execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Do I believe there's probably a few unscrupulous reviewers and cheeky corporations out there? Sure, most likely, and there's definitely a few publications I don't take very seriously when it comes to the old reviews stake.

Do I think there has been some mass campaign, across multiple territories, to pay dozens and dozens of critics to give the Last Jedi good reviews - with everyone from The New York Times to Matt Zoller Seitz; Sight & Sound to Film Comment; Indiewire to The Sunday Business Post buying in? Absolutely not: I think it's a preposterous, incredible conspiracy theory, and will continue to believe that unless provided with substantive, credible evidence to the contrary. I mean, I don't even know why the **** Disney would need to do it in the first place with the safest box office bet in cinema.

A few influencers are bought to set a narrative, most are just cowed by the reality that a bad reviews have consequences or they are lazy and just print the press pack.

If that were true shouldnt we have seen every Star Wars film win best picture and everything else it’s nominated for?

They have the clout financially and otherwise

They are conniving, not stupid.

So it’s over half a billion after only 5 days of release. Dunoo where TFA was at this point

https://twitter.com/stephen_stanton/status/943605265076588544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Saw it tonight myself. I can see why people were disappointed... Because I was too :( certain things happened that just didn't sit right.

In any case, I don't care if anyone says I am wrong or if Kathleen Kennedy was to say 'youre wrong!' to my face ( :pac: ) but things got changed between force awakens and this. They dropped their original plan of where they were going to go with the continuation of the story.

The whole snoke thing proves it the most.

Facetious twaddle. The Force awakens very specifically set up the question. Were Bowie's parent's given a flashback in this scenario? It's not like this criticism was plucked out of thin air. You can't pretend that story arcs can just be brushed under the carpet. You can't write a fist act and then just reboot it in the second act with no clear idea of where to to,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Mark Hammill is woeful actor...like fair city bad

yep he is, lets face it there's a reason you never see him in high profile movies..he can't act for sh!t

although to be fair he's a lot better in this than the original trilogy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,775 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mark Hamill was excellent in this I thought, also he seems to massively prefer voice acting anyway.

Facetious twaddle. The Force awakens very specifically set up the question. Were Bowie's parent's given a flashback in this scenario? It's not like this criticism was plucked out of thin air. You can't pretend that story arcs can just be brushed under the carpet.

I think it’s a master stroke that were only going to get the answer to in Episode 9 and no doubt there’ll be complaints either way.

it's something jj wont let pass by i dont think and it will be a massive emotional payoff...right now im happy with her being just a nobody..it adds to this story and her story. ..but as part of a trilogy to have her have that moment and its a ****in oprah moment hopefully and not a maury one, it could be awesome

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A few influencers are bought to set a narrative, most are just cowed by the reality that a bad reviews have consequences or they are lazy and just print the press pack.

The role of the 'influencer' is a vastly overstated myth created by overzealous marketing departments who think a few choice instagrammers and the like can sway opinion (my understandjng is that many companies are swiftly abandoning this avenue, being a total waste of budgets and leaving influencers without jobs anymore). As Johnny Ultomato says, there are undoubtedly pockets of notorious shills -and we all know who they are cos they're fairly notorious - but the notion of a conspiracy on one of the safest blockbuster, box office draws is ludicrous.

If anything, it's the reverse that's the likely scenario: Disney are more likely to have bribed or courted the Fanboy channels, blogs and social media fundamentalists to stir up blanket praise. Star Wars doesn't need the critic industry onside here...

pixelburp wrote: »
    The role of the 'influencer' is a vastly overstated myth created by overzealous marketing departments who think a few choice instagrammers and the like can sway opinion (my understandjng is that many companies are swiftly abandoning this avenue, being a total waste of budgets and leaving influencers without jobs anymore). As Johnny Ultomato says, there are undoubtedly pockets of notorious shills -and we all know who they are cos they're fairly notorious - but the notion of a conspiracy on one of the safest blockbuster, box office draws is ludicrous.

If anything, it's the reverse that's the likely scenario: Disney are more likely to have bribed or courted the Fanboy channels, blogs and social media fundamentalists to stir up blanket praise. Star Wars doesn't need the critic industry onside here...

Well that must be why Ghostbusters 2016 opened with a similar rating. Because hype, studio's, groupthink and social pressure has no effect on critics. Say what you will, but I suspect few will have a good word to say about this movie in 12months time.

I think it’s a master stroke that were only going to get the answer to in Episode 9 and no doubt there’ll be complaints either way.

it's something jj wont let pass by i dont think and it will be a massive emotional payoff...right now im happy with her being just a nobody..it adds to this story and her story. ..but as part of a trilogy to have her have that moment and its a ****in oprah moment hopefully and not a maury one, it could be awesome

A pay off presumes plan, and as even Johnson has said, there wasn't one, which was pretty much the problem with the film. They set up a trilogy with no plot, no arc and no story and handed it to Johnson who dropped the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is Kermode a shill?

although come to think of it he thinks the exorcist is the greatest movie ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Well that must be why Ghostbusters 2016 opened with a similar rating. Because hype, studio's, groupthink and social pressure has no effect on critics. Say what you will, but I suspect few will have a good word to say about this movie in 12months time.

jar-jar-binks.jpg?quality=100&w=650&h=349

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

I'm not racist but.....

I was quite negative in my comments the other day, my view has softened somewhat since, although my mind is still made up. However I want to post some of the things I like about the movie.

I found it funny, and I laughed out loud several times.

I enjoyed the Luke storyline (until the end), I can put that better, I enjoy where we find Luke in this movie.

There's one more that I can't quite remember, I'll just throw this one in to satisfy the rule of three, although it is not specific to this film, I love the new characters. I love Rey, Poe and Finn.

Oh yeah, the third thing, and my favourite thing about the direction they're taking, is that they have redemocratised the force. Anybody could be a force user. We all could. Anybody could go from a farm on Tatooine to become a Jedi master, hero of the rebellion and save the galaxy. That's why the originals were so magic.

Anywho, here's a link to a Kevin Smith review of the film for those interested.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/12/19/star-wars-the-last-jedi-kevin-smith/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Facetious twaddle. The Force awakens very specifically set up the question. Were Bowie's parent's given a flashback in this scenario? It's not like this criticism was plucked out of thin air. You can't pretend that story arcs can just be brushed under the carpet. You can't write a fist act and then just reboot it in the second act with no clear idea of where to to,

Were Bowie’s parents given a flashback?

No.

A pay off presumes plan, and as even Johnson has said, there wasn't one, which was pretty much the problem with the film. They set up a trilogy with no plot, no arc and no story and handed it to Johnson who dropped the ball.

Johnson also said he was told ‘this is where we left off, this is where we need to end up. You can do whatever you like to get us there’.

There’s a map. You don’t make a multi billion dollar franchise as a trilogy without one. It’s stupid to assume otherwise. That’s not how films are made. Especially with ongoing stories.

Did anybody notice Luke using the name Darth Sidious this is the only time this name has been spoken in a Star Wars film outside of the prequel trilogy.

Did anybody notice Luke using the name Darth Sidious this is the only time this name has been spoken in a Star Wars film outside of the prequel trilogy.

Not sure I remember him saying it actually.

I did have a thought like this earlier though, has the word "padawan" ever been mentioned outside of the prequels?

• Advertisement

Not sure I remember him saying it actually.

I did have a thought like this earlier though, has the word "padawan" ever been mentioned outside of the prequels?

He told Ray that the Jedi failed to see the rise of Darth Sidious I have seen the movie twice.

There are two nouns spoke aloud by Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi which are totally surprising to hear, if only because they seem to come from the revisionist version of Lucas’s prequels, rather than the rough-and-tumble sequel trilogy. Still, just as Kylo Ren referenced a “clone army” in The Force Awakens, the latest Star Wars also mentions stuff from a time before Darth Vader. But this time, the person dropping the prequel references isn’t Kylo Ren. It’s Luke Skywalker.

In The Last Jedi, Luke Skywalker says the word “lasers word” and makes a reference to “Darth Sidious.” The latter is the formal Sith name for the Emperor, while the former is a knock-off term for a lightsaber used by Anakin Skywalker in The Phantom Menace.

https://www.inverse.com/article/39427-star-wars-the-last-jedi-prequel-references-and-connections

He told Ray that the Jedi failed to see the rise of Darth Sidious I have seen the movie twice.

He says the jedi were blind to Sidious rising and allowed the creation of Darth Vader and she comes back at him but yeah you redeemed him and it wasn’t for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Johnson also said he was told ‘this is where we left off, this is where we need to end up. You can do whatever you like to get us there’.

There’s a map. You don’t make a multi billion dollar franchise as a trilogy without one. It’s stupid to assume otherwise. That’s not how films are made. Especially with ongoing stories.

Agreed.
    They had a plan for all 3 before force awakens started to film.

And it looks like The Last Jedi deviated from that map.

Agreed.

Mark Hamill Disappointed Disney Didn’t Follow George Lucas’s Advice

https://heroichollywood.com/mark-hamill-disney-george-lucas-advice/

Agreed.

That’s not how the force /filmmmaking works.

Deffo a shake up on episode 9 after carries death. But it’s in hand and dealt with.

I'm confused, are we upset that Disney have too much creative control or are we now upset that they don't have enough control?

I'm confused, are we upset that Disney have too much creative control or are we now upset that they don't have enough control?

Take your pick Star Wars Fans have been fighting since 1999.

You might get balance in the force but not the fan community.:D

Rey goes from from ‘kylo let you down. I won’t’ in one scene. To letting him down and having a force Skype sauna session letting him down and actually fighting him about it. In the very next scene. This film is an atrocity.

• Advertisement

Rey goes from from ‘kylo let you down. I won’t’ in one scene. To letting him down and having a force Skype sauna session letting him down and actually fighting him about it. In the very next scene. This film is an atrocity.

How can you say that?
    It may seem like a masterpiece by the time we have Solo A Star Wars Story and JJ Abrams Episode 9.:D

Advertisement