Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

In fairness Luke is almost certainly a goner. Possibly in 8. Leaving Rey to finish off Snoke and Kylo. If Kylo doesn't do it himself. Don't think they'll go the redemption route with him though.

Either way I don't see this trilogy having the same happy ending. It'll be a painful bitter sweet one at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Wedwood wrote: »
    I recall one version of the ROTJ 'sacrifice' was that Lando Calrissian doesn't escape from the Death Star and he goes along with the Millenium Falcon. They decided it was too much of a downer to end the Trilogy on, so he escapes by the skin of his teeth.

BTW, back in 1983, everybody loved the way the movie ended - good guys won, baddies lost. This 'somebody has to die' lark to give it gravitas has only crept in over the last few years by this grumpy and gloomy generation.

The grumpy and gloomy gang got their way with Han Solo, now leave Luke Skywalker alone !!!!

I think the only gloomy grump that got his way with Han Solo was Harrison Ford. I knew Han was a gonner as soon as I saw how happy Ford was to part of the franchise again, for a man that hated it so much his smiling engagement could only mean one thing, nobody was ever again going to ask him in an interview if he was going to be in a new starwars movie.

conorhal wrote: »
    I think the only gloomy grump that got his way with Han Solo was Harrison Ford. I knew Han was a gonner as soon as I saw how happy Ford was to part of the franchise again, for a man that hated it so much his smiling engagement could only mean one thing, nobody was ever again going to ask him in an interview if he was going to be in a new starwars movie.

That and the fact that he got a truly obscene amount of money to reprise the role AND points of the films profits in perpetuity. Not sure the exact figure but it's huge and it's put him in place as the most profitable actor in all Hollywood history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wedwood wrote: »
    I recall one version of the ROTJ 'sacrifice' was that Lando Calrissian doesn't escape from the Death Star and he goes along with the Millenium Falcon. They decided it was too much of a downer to end the Trilogy on, so he escapes by the skin of his teeth.

BTW, back in 1983, everybody loved the way the movie ended - good guys won, baddies lost. This 'somebody has to die' lark to give it gravitas has only crept in over the last few years by this grumpy and gloomy generation.

The grumpy and gloomy gang got their way with Han Solo, now leave Luke Skywalker alone !!!!

Don't think anyone wanted Solo to die except Ford, who never wants to play him again, for whatever reason.

Although, you can bet your last Euro Luke is a busted flush as well.

Disney want to run with this show on their own terms, with their own bullshit characters and the old crew are a bot of a drag to them.

Ford got paid between 30 and 35 million for force awakens and .2% of future royalties.

Carrie fisher was paid $2million.

That's unfair but that's how much they obviously wanted Ford back.

• Advertisement

Han Solo will get bums on seats.

Princess Leia won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Tony EH wrote: »
    Don't think anyone wanted Solo to die except Ford, who never wants to play him again, for whatever reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an appearance in the next one. Although it may be a sequence already filmed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tony EH wrote: »
    Han Solo will get bums on seats.

Princess Leia won't.

Plus Harrison Ford was one of the most most bankable stars in Hollyood for most of the 30 years after ROTJ while Carrie Fisher was, well, famous for playing Princess Leia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There also the fact that Ford is still recognizable. He sounds and looks similar to how he did in the original trilogy......just a lot older. You look at him and see an old Han Solo.

Fisher looks and sounds nothing like she used to. Some people call it mean or irrelevant to say it aloud but its the cold hard truth. It's not sexist....she just hasn't looked after herself. Most people wouldn't recognise her on the street any more. That would hurt her negotiating power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

david75 wrote: »
    Ford got paid between 30 and 35 million for force awakens and .2% of future royalties.

Carrie fisher was paid $2million.

That's unfair but that's how much they obviously wanted Ford back.

Have you got a legitimate source for that? Sounds like nonsense - no offense.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Plus Harrison Ford was one of the most most bankable stars in Hollyood for most of the 30 years after ROTJ while Carrie Fisher was, well, famous for playing Princess Leia.

Maybe, but who else could play Leia without fans going crazy? That carries a premium.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Have you got a legitimate source for that? Sounds like nonsense - no offense.

Just heard it yesterday on the Coffee with Kenobi podcast. One of the better 'thinking Star Wars fan' podcasts. I'll have a look into it though but sounds right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Kirby wrote: »
    There also the fact that Ford is still recognizable. He sounds and looks similar to how he did in the original trilogy......just a lot older. You look at him and see an old Han Solo.

Fisher looks and sounds nothing like she used to. Some people call it mean or irrelevant to say it aloud but its the cold hard truth. It's not sexist....she just hasn't looked after herself. Most people wouldn't recognise her on the street any more. That would hurt her negotiating power.

Harsh but true, I think she was over paid for the two minutes of mumbling she did on screen that even in that short amount of screen time made it painfully obvious she didn't care to be there and that she'd long since given up acting, which to be fair is something Ford is also infamous for, he's made far too many paycheck movies lately where he turns up and phones it in, but at least in TFA he seems to have turned up and actually earned his money for a change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Actors are paid for their star power and box office, not for how well they've aged (even if it's obviously a major factor in their star power). Also how much Hamill and Fisher got paid for TFA isn't the whole story since, unlike Ford, their deals included another two movies and their salaries and share of profits should increase with each one.

The need to get Ford would have dictated the direction of the story in TFA, including Han's death, to a large extent. Ford wasn't going to come back to stand around and play second fiddle to Hamill for another three movies. Giving him a bigger role in TFA then killing him off made sense and was probably the only way to get Ford back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fisher really doesn't look great for her age - her actual physical appearance is just a part of it but just her general demeanour and how she holds herself, you'd be forgiven for thinking she's of age, if not older, than Ford (despite being what, 15 years younger?). I can't see how people attack that fact for being sexist - it's a simple observation. There's no energy about here, something Ford still has in buckets when he chooses to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I can't see how people attack that fact for being sexist - it's a simple observation.

The observation has been made and vocalised, ad nauseam. She's not had a perfect life, and she's not a box office smashing movie star like Harrison Ford – who I think is really more of the exception here; dude's in amazing shape for 73.

It's the dwelling on her appearance that starts to feel a bit, if not sexist, then at least needlessly mean spirited.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with how she performed (or looked!) in her role in Episode 7. Might the role have been bigger if she was in better shape for it? Perhaps, but it's not a big deal.

I do look forward to (hopefully) seeing more of her in the next couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Goodshape wrote: »
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with how she performed (or looked!) in her role in Episode 7. Might the role have been bigger if she was in better shape for it? Perhaps, but it's not a big deal.

I do look forward to (hopefully) seeing more of her in the next couple.

I thought she looked and acted terribly, the skin on her face hardly moved and she displayed zero emotion or expression.

Though to be fair she can act when she's more natural, have you seen her in Catastrophe recently where she is great. Nerves were definitely a factor.

But next to Ford and Hamill she definitely aged quite badly, Hamill's weight loss and beard really helped him and looking forward to seeing him in new film.

I'd say Fisher's role will be very small, all those years of drug abuse seemed to have taken their toll for sure.

I thought she looked and acted terribly, the skin on her face hardly moved and she displayed zero emotion or expression.

Though to be fair she can act when she's more natural, have you seen her in Catastrophe recently where she is great. Nerves were definitely a factor.

But next to Ford and Hamill she definitely aged quite badly, Hamill's weight loss and beard really helped him and looking forward to seeing him in new film.

I'd say Fisher's role will be very small, all those years of drug abuse seemed to have taken their toll for sure.

To be fair, people age differently. I am sure they all did their drugs and alcohol back in the day. I know Fisher had surgery at some point too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

py2006 wrote: »
    To be fair, people age differently. I am sure they all did their drugs and alcohol back in the day. I know Fisher had surgery at some point too.

To be fair out of the 3 main stars Fisher allegedly did ALOT, nothing like what other two may have tried (if anything). Sure there are screencaps from ROTJ online with her "coke nail" :rolleyes:

I actually met her at comic con about 10 years ago and even then she looked rough as fvck.

Plus all the bipolar meds she's on probably hasn't helped.

• Advertisement

Jesus lads. Judgemental much?

Jesus lads. Judgemental much?

sssssh! We're absolute rides...

So we can afford to be judgemental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Nice touch i have to say!

Wrong thread probably but ye might find this interesting; A New Hope in a kind of really long infographic: http://swanh.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

My first multi - million feature film I've worked on and I couldn't even tell anyone what I was doing down in West cork for a week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

My first multi - million feature film I've worked on and I couldn't even tell anyone what I was doing down in West cork for a week :pac:

I was staying in BarleyCove near Crookhaven while they were setting up but unfortunately had to leave the day before they arrived to start shooting. I had a pretty good view of the activity and partial set on Brow Head though before I left. The local hotel was crawling with crew (loads of Rogue One crew t-shirts) but they kept to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭emo72

i thought carrie fisher had a ton of cosmetic work done and thats why she cant really express much. also it may have ben really early surgery when it was in its infancy so it wasnt good. i still love her tho.

To Be honest, I thought she may have had a mild stroke at some stage.

Either way, I think all the discussion over her appearance is a little on the distasteful side myself.

I thought she was fine with what she had to work with in the film and considering she's the leader of this "resistance", she'll be in the next two. Unless she's killed of course. But somehow I don't see that happening.

• Advertisement

Advertisement