Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This thread :

I loved it
    - You idiot how dare you have a positive opinion, true SW fans hated it.

repeat.

I think TFA set the bar so high that a lot of these people that "hated" it are just really disappointed.

TFA had no expectations because it came after the prequels and I think when first announced everyone expected it to be pure sh1te..
    hence people were blown away.

TFA basically rolled up aspects of the OT and fed them to us again. I agree that people are really just disappointed but more so because Rian didn't give them what they wanted like JJ did. They wanted Luke to be the same person he was 40 years ago with added super god Jedi powers, to either stay alive or die in person in a blaze of glory, they wanted to hear all about Snoke, they wanted Rey to be Kylo's sister/Luke or Kenobi's daughter but they weren't given any of it. Personally I'd have really enjoyed those too but I'm happy to go into a movie and it go a different direction than my expectations.

david75 wrote: »
    Did anyone else think it was going to end with Luke walking out through the fire was going to face the first order?

Would have been a hell of a cliff hanger

Given everything else that’s thrown the fandom into a war setting I think it ending that way would have seen this reaction but tenfold

Wouldn't have liked that as we need some time to pass between the episodes. I think this one was hurt by the fact they couldn't do a jump of a few months/years to allow the universe to move on from what took place in TFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'm a bit worried by Finn, he's almost approaching Jar Jar levels of annoying. I thought his character had heaps of promise in TFA. In hindsight, as others mentioned, maybe it would have been better if he died at the hands of Kylo. This film seems to have regressed his character.

Also when two MALE Chinese actors were cast in large supporting roles in Rogue One I don't recall seeing a single post about "quotas", this isn't just racism at play here, it's blatant mysoginy.

I wouldn't say two Chinese actors getting cast as monks is really breaking any stereotypes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think this scene had the themes truly laid bare, not to mention showings its full hand to the intended audience (Kylo's speech about killing the past notwithstanding) and encapsulated a broader success of the film in that it WASN'T as cruel as it could have been: we had first and second acts that laboured on the notion that perhaps an obsession with legend, nostalgia & lineage is a poison and we should look to our own horizons instead of trying to wallow in past glories or myths.

Dunno about others, but to me that felt incredibly pertinent in a current culture that champions nostalgia as its entertainment comfort blankets (and that's speaking as someone who loved Strangers Things I should add); equally, it came off as being aimed towards the hardcore Star Wars fans who might have been rooted into this notion of what Star Wars IS, should & always be. Johnson wanted to move on from all this, burn it all down, but I think he wanted us to welcome the match instead of anger at it.

There were a half-dozen ways any other writer or director could have torn up the continuity of Star Wars, and all of them about 10 times more obnoxious and insulting to fandom. Personally, Star Trek 2009 remains the sh*tty gold standard in taking a cherished continuity and borderline laughing at it; sure the actual movie was ostensibly entertaining, but the script fell over itself in trying to subvert tonal / character continuity in a fairly mean-spirited fashion IMO.

Divorcing the knowledge of the studio who owns the Star Wars franchise, this was about the kindest way a Star Wars movie could purposely jettison its own history and move into the future, all the while asking its audience to come along with it; after all, who else to hold out a hand but Yoda - a 1980s, puppet Yoda at that?

This. 100% all of this.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit worried by Finn, he's almost approaching Jar Jar levels of annoying. I thought his character had heaps of promise in TFA. In hindsight, as others mentioned, maybe it would have been better if he died at the hands of Kylo. This film seems to have regressed his character.

I really think they should have let him have his moment of sacrifice with flying into the cannon. These people ruined my life I’m gonna give mine to help take them down.
    There would have been backlash and cruel token black guy dies jokes but it would have served the character better overall.

That said his death would then be totally forgotten given what comes shortly after with Luke’s. I can see why they kept him.

He basically has exactly the same story in TLJ as in TFA.

They have to give him something harder and more serious in the finale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The problem is they can't.

The next film will have to focus on Reylo and the wrap up there. There's way too much that has yet to happen on that front. There's a whole film's worth of stuff there.

Finn is just a "character" (barely), too many.

More than likely, what will go down is he'll have this sappy "romantic" subplot with equally insipid Rose that nobody will give shit about and it'll just eat up screen time, while we all wait around to see what happens with Reylo.

This gif is great. And was totally inevitable:)

https://twitter.com/roqoodepot/status/943990300325814272

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Tony EH wrote: »

The next film will have to focus on Reylo and the wrap up there. There's way too much that has yet to happen on that front. There's a whole film's worth of stuff there.

More than likely, what will go down is he'll have this sappy "romantic" subplot with equally insipid Rose that nobody will give shit about and it'll just eat up screen time, while we all wait around to see what happens with Reylo.

I feel like he could have a sideplot like Lando flying the Falcon into the Death Star in ROTJ. Something important, but not the main focus of the movie.

Reylo isn’t gonna happen. I kinda thought it would have been amazing to have her join him out of being so frustrated with Luke being so difficult with her and letting kylo manipulate her as he clearly does on the parents issue.

I think it would have been a shock too far but for pure drama it would have been amazing.

He’s gonna be obsessed with finding her and destroying her in 9. Showdown is all but inevitable and he’ll lose.

• Advertisement

I feel like he could have a sideplot like Lando flying the Falcon into the Death Star in ROTJ. Something important, but not the main focus of the movie.

Please...no more Death Stars. :D

Finn's already had his fly into the Death Star moment anyway. And Rose fucked it up.

Cos love or something.

Reylo isn’t gonna happen. I kinda thought it would have been amazing to have her join him out of being so frustrated with Luke being so difficult with her and letting kylo manipulate her as he clearly does on the parents issue.

I think it would have been a shock too far but for pure drama it would have been amazing.

He’s gonna be obsessed with finding her and destroying her in 9. Showdown is all but inevitable and he’ll lose.

That's what I mean by "Reylo".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Late to the bashing brigade, but...

If this movie was not tied to the Star Wars franchise it would be thoroughly enjoyable watch. I left the cinema thinking it was good, it was visually great, the soundtrack was great and a sci-fi movie ticked all the boxes. However given time to think about everything that happened in the movie this is Star Wars but it did not feel like Star Wars. Disney have taken over and have tried to pump it full of gags to appeal to the younger audience when in reality the OT captured the minds of children and adults alike without the need for it.

Nope. This is completely 100% Rian. He added the porgs, he added the humour, and most notably he handed in the completed script 3 months early.

That's what I mean by "Reylo".

Oh. Reylo is the term used by those obsessed with shipping the two of them and making them a love interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

conorhal wrote: »
    Which feels a bit like the kind of spinning and damage control that Sony did in the wake of the whole Ghostbusters 2016 $h1tshow. They tried to spin the narrative to suggest the negativity had nothing to do with how poor the movie was or how it crapped on the original, nope, if you hated the movie you were probably a misogynist. A claim that was statistically proven to be false.
    Bot reviews are clickbaiting, and not significant. It's pretty clear even from this thread that opinion is pretty divided on the film in a manner that doesn't seem inconsistent with the audience scores. I don't think it's all that hard to believe a third of the audience was at best ambivalent towards TLJ.
    The suggestion that the alt right are driving negative reviews is daft, I'm just surprised that Disney haven't blamed Russian hackers yet!

Well, it seems like it's basically in everyone's interests to hijack the conversation around Star Wars and make it about whatever they need it to be about.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/star-wars-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-user-ratings-bots-skewed-1202647473/

From RT themselves: “For ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi,’ we have seen an uptick in people posting written user reviews, as fans are very passionate about this movie and the franchise,” a Rotten Tomatoes rep said, but the number of written reviews being posted by fans is comparable to 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

“The authenticity of our critic and user scores is very important to Rotten Tomatoes and as a course of regular business, we have a team of security, network, social and database experts who closely monitor our platforms,”

OF COURSE they would say that though, right?

So it's in Disney/Lucasfilm's interests to have outlets claiming the negative audience scores are fake.

It's in the Alt Right's interests to say "we tanked the score because we are powerful enough and numerous enough to bring down Star wars".

It's in Rotten Tomatoes interests to say "no, the scores are accurate".

If you liked the movie then the "conspiracy" angle backs up your view that the movie is good and people who downvoted it are troglodytes.

If you hated the movie then the RT score backs up your view that the movie is rotten and the critics are scared of Disney (or even just paid by Disney).

If you think there are too many minorities at my waterpark in the Star Wars then we've got a story of a massive multi billion dollar corporation trying to shoehorn "SJW bullsh!t" into your beloved franchise.

If you think there are too many racists and sexists in the Star Wars fandom then we've got a story of a massive underground network of Alt-Right, Trump supporting, Nazis scheming to bring down a beloved franchise.

Star Wars truly is for everyone.

My favorite bit: “I’m sick and tired of men being portrayed as idiots,” the unnamed alt-righter told HuffPost. “There was a time we ruled society and I want to see that again. That is why I voted for Donald Trump.”

Hahaha.

“There was a time we ruled society and I want to see that again. That is why I voted for Donald Trump.”

Hahahahahahahaha.

Seriously, America should get Episode IX about 1 month after the rest of the world. Surely at least Trump will be gone by then?

Did TLJ develop any characters for the better? Kylo was great, but seems as equally confused as ever. Rey is also a bit lost. It was a bit of a stinker for wrecking characters! Or introducing new, absolutely pointless ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Nope. This is completely 100% Rian. He added the porgs, he added the humour, and most notably he handed in the completed script 3 months early.

There was more humour than we were normally accustomed to in TFA which Johnson had no hand in, I'm pretty sure Disney have had a say in the direction they want these movies going in... "merchandise it baby!!" however it wasn't as in your face in TFA as it is in TLJ. Finn was just annoying and Poe Dameron doesn't even come close to pulling off the Han Solo cocky goodguy schtick which was the only real elements of comic relief in the originals and all that was needed.

I'd go so far as to say i preferred The Phantom Menace to this film and i'm not a fan of the prequels in general but Lucas did a better job of character development at least even if the trilogy as a whole was a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Did TLJ develop any characters for the better? Kylo was great, but seems as equally confused as ever. Rey is also a bit lost. It was a bit of a stinker for wrecking characters! Or introducing new, absolutely pointless ones.

Couldn't agree more!

well time wise it picks up exactly where TFA leaves off so if anyone had been radically different it would have been weird.
    Then you get luke and lots of people unhappy that he isn’t what they wanted him to be at this point despite the film explaining why he’s like this.

Agree with you on rey. This could have had just a little bit more of her. But she is quite conflicted and even to the point of trusting kylo in her post cave scene and crying in front of Him all upset about her experiences so that’s new.

Poe had decent development in the movie even if it was in a very obvious manner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

How much of slapstick chuckle fest must Solo have been under Lord and Miller if this level of humour was acceptable but their level got them fired .

I think Poe was well developed for what it's worth.

Maybe the execution was a bit off but his journey from insubordinate hot head to potential future leader of a future rebellion was OK.

Kylo Ren kind of goes full Dark Side here.

Outside of that we don't get much.

The point of the movie was more like "everything you think you know about Star wars is wrong" but by the end it's saying "nah, it's still just about good vs evil, see you in 2 years".

I am assuming Episode 9 will play it super safe and close off the series. Personally, I would rather see them introduce an Episode 10 and have 9 & 10 run back to back chronologically, just as 7 & 8 do.

The alternative is a situation where Episode 8 doesn't deliver on the set up from Episode 7 and then Episode 9 ignores everything we learned in Episode 8.

2 things I am concerned about:

Snoke's appearance is that of a guy who looks like he has already "died" a few times and came back. So I would be worried we'll see a couple of droids rescue his body parts and put him back together again. It has NEVER really been clear in SW to what extent medical science can save a person. Vader and Palpatine suffered pretty serious injuries and apparently Darth Maul didn't die on Naboo but came back with some robotic legs?

Kylo Ren was lying about Reys parents and the early part of Episode IX will be a "revelation" that she is related to someone close to previous force using characters.

well time wise it picks up exactly where TFA leaves off so if anyone had been radically different it would have been weird.
    Then you get luke and lots of people unhappy that he isn’t what they wanted him to be at this point despite the film explaining why he’s like this.

Agree with you on rey. This could have had just a little bit more of her. But she is quite conflicted and even to the point of trusting kylo in her post cave scene and crying in front of Him all upset about her experiences so that’s new.

But that's the purpose of films, to progress characters. No matter what the time frame. We get to know them, understand them. If it fails to do that, it fails as a film. It's a fun enough star wars film, but as a film, it fails in so many ways. Characters are it's greatest flaw.

There was more humour than we were normally accustomed to in TFA which Johnson had no hand in, I'm pretty sure Disney have had a say in the direction they want these movies going in... "merchandise it baby!!" however it wasn't as in your face in TFA as it is in TLJ. Finn was just annoying and Poe Dameron doesn't even come close to pulling off the Han Solo cocky goodguy schtick which was the only real elements of comic relief in the originals and all that was needed.

I'd go so far as to say i preferred The Phantom Menace to this film and i'm not a fan of the prequels in general but Lucas did a better job of character development at least even if the trilogy as a whole was a mess.

I feel like a broken record but that isn't true. Some of the comedy was of a different style, may have landed better in the OT (debatable), and spread across more characters in TFA but the OT is full of attempts at humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Questionable, both in how it would be played out and the reasoning for its removal. Guess we'll wait and see how true it is when the home media comes out.
    However, one very important scene between Luke and Rey didn't make the final cut, but now details of the scene have arrived online.

During the movie, when Luke finally caves and decides to teach Rey, he says that he will need to teach her three lessons. However, we only see him actually teach her two lessons. The third less takes place in a deleted scene, which has now been detailed by /Film. The scene takes place after the pair talk inside the cave where Luke mentions Darth Sidious. Here's how the scene starts out, according to the report.

"Rey notices boats arriving at the island and there appears to be a big fire from where they're landing. Luke tells her that it is a group of bandits who regularly come back to the island to plunder and kill the caretakers. Rey is very concerned and wants to help them, but Luke tells her that if you help them now, the raiders will come back stronger and it will make things worse in the future. He asks Rey if she is always going to be here to protect them, saying that a true Jedi Knight would do nothing and would only act to maintain balance, even when people get hurt. Rey, furious at his reasoning, ignites her lightsaber and runs really fast, a Force-powered run that we glimpsed in one of the featurettes about the making of the film. She runs over rocks on shallow water and bursts through a door with her saber into the village square ready for battle. Luke yells for her to wait, but she doesn't stop."

Indeed, this seems like an important scene, but it also carries with it a rather cool shot that was absent from the movie. In some trailers and a featurette, we do see Rey running with Luke's old blue lightsaber ignited. It was a great shot that sadly, didn't make it into The Last Jedi. Here's how the rest of the scene is said to play out.

"She is surprised to learn that it's not a raiding party, but an actual party, with caretakers celebrating and swinging glow sticks. This piece of concept art from The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi shows what the scene looks like. The caretakers all stop and look at Rey, confused. One of the caretaker motions her glow stick and Rey swings her lightsaber, imitating her movements, and sighs. The caretakers resume partying. Rey spots Chewbacca sitting at the party with a bunch of Porgs and R2-D2 (wearing a festive necklace). 'Seriously?' Rey says to Chewie before storming out to find Luke. Rey is mad that Luke lied to her and she confronts him. He admits that he's sorry, but that she ran so fast and he couldn't stop her. Rey says that she thought they were in danger and tried to do something. Luke responds, seriously this time, that that's exactly what the resistance needs - not some old husk of a failed religion. He was again trying to teach her a lesson. Rey cries, explaining that her real friends are really dying and 'that old legend of Luke Skywalker that you hate so much, I believed in it.' Luke is in shock. He realizes that he pushed her too far. Rey tells him she was wrong about believing in him and storms away."

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Snoke's appearance is that of a guy who looks like he has already "died" a few times and came back. So I would be worried we'll see a couple of droids rescue his body parts and put him back together again. It has NEVER really been clear in SW to what extent medical science can save a person. Vader and Palpatine suffered pretty serious injuries and apparently Darth Maul didn't die on Naboo but came back with some robotic legs?

Kylo Ren was lying about Reys parents and the early part of Episode IX will be a "revelation" that she is related to someone close to previous force using characters.

Snoke actually looked far younger in this than he did in the giant transmission to Kylo in TFA. There are people who think that he could have been a force projection like Luke, given how he also appeared younger in his. I however think they need Snoke gone if they're going to close off the larger story by the end of the IX, the rebels are too weak to deal with a fully functioning Frist Order and a Kylo/Hux leadership would weaken it substantially.

Reys parents definitely isn't totally closed off yet, especially with the Kenobi movie coming up and the potential story could be included.

I think they've still a lot of room to maneuver at this stage whatever way JJ decides to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

McDermotX wrote: »
    Questionable, both in how it would be played out and the reasoning for its removal. Guess we'll wait and see how true it is when the home media comes out.
    However, one very important scene between Luke and Rey didn't make the final cut, but now details of the scene have arrived online.

During the movie, when Luke finally caves and decides to teach Rey, he says that he will need to teach her three lessons. However, we only see him actually teach her two lessons. The third less takes place in a deleted scene, which has now been detailed by /Film. The scene takes place after the pair talk inside the cave where Luke mentions Darth Sidious. Here's how the scene starts out, according to the report.

"Rey notices boats arriving at the island and there appears to be a big fire from where they're landing. Luke tells her that it is a group of bandits who regularly come back to the island to plunder and kill the caretakers. Rey is very concerned and wants to help them, but Luke tells her that if you help them now, the raiders will come back stronger and it will make things worse in the future. He asks Rey if she is always going to be here to protect them, saying that a true Jedi Knight would do nothing and would only act to maintain balance, even when people get hurt. Rey, furious at his reasoning, ignites her lightsaber and runs really fast, a Force-powered run that we glimpsed in one of the featurettes about the making of the film. She runs over rocks on shallow water and bursts through a door with her saber into the village square ready for battle. Luke yells for her to wait, but she doesn't stop."

Indeed, this seems like an important scene, but it also carries with it a rather cool shot that was absent from the movie. In some trailers and a featurette, we do see Rey running with Luke's old blue lightsaber ignited. It was a great shot that sadly, didn't make it into The Last Jedi. Here's how the rest of the scene is said to play out.

"She is surprised to learn that it's not a raiding party, but an actual party, with caretakers celebrating and swinging glow sticks. This piece of concept art from The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi shows what the scene looks like. The caretakers all stop and look at Rey, confused. One of the caretaker motions her glow stick and Rey swings her lightsaber, imitating her movements, and sighs. The caretakers resume partying. Rey spots Chewbacca sitting at the party with a bunch of Porgs and R2-D2 (wearing a festive necklace). 'Seriously?' Rey says to Chewie before storming out to find Luke. Rey is mad that Luke lied to her and she confronts him. He admits that he's sorry, but that she ran so fast and he couldn't stop her. Rey says that she thought they were in danger and tried to do something. Luke responds, seriously this time, that that's exactly what the resistance needs - not some old husk of a failed religion. He was again trying to teach her a lesson. Rey cries, explaining that her real friends are really dying and 'that old legend of Luke Skywalker that you hate so much, I believed in it.' Luke is in shock. He realizes that he pushed her too far. Rey tells him she was wrong about believing in him and storms away."

That sounds like an awesome scene! Why would they leave it out?!

KYlo and the knights of Ren attacking Luke and Rey on Ahch to was also shot in Donegal and Kerry

From making Star Wars-
    Recently I glimpsed some photos of a set on the water at Malin Head. On the shoreline were seven men in black. There might be more but some of the people are hard to make out. All of these people are wearing all black with helmets, resembling medieval knights with weapons. The characters are not wearing the black covers to hide their costumes like they did back at Dubrovnik. These are actual black costumes. It is my opinion and the source’s opinion that these are the Knights of Ren. Kylo Ren could always have another gang of warriors in black but I think its likely they’re the guys we saw in The Force Awakens.

There are “black helmeted medieval-looking figures” going after Luke Skywalker and Rey on the coast of Ahch-To. The guys I once referred to as Jedi Hunters back in the day were described in the same way back during the production of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

From what I have heard a few times, Rey is reluctant with (if not angry at) Luke Skywalker because she has to kill Kylo Ren and she doesn’t want to do it. The scene that follows appears to be when the showdown finally begins. I suppose she accepts her duty or has no choice but to fight.

The text below is what the source(s) witnessed:

Luke Skywalker and Rey are on Ahch-To just before nightfall as the sun sets in the background and it starts to rain.
    Rey’s hair is pulled back. She doesn’t have the vest from VII on.
    Luke and Rey are wearing the costumes we described before.
    Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren turn up along the coast.
    Kylo Ren continues advancing towards the heroes with the Knights of Ren.
    Kylo does not wear the mask here.
    Kylo has the same cross guard saber as he did in VII.
    Kylo’s costume looked the same as in VII.
    Rey and Kylo Ren duel one-on-one and end up fighting along the cliff face overlooking the nighttime water.
    Kylo wants his revenge after Rey disgraced him.
    The Knights of Ren go for Luke Skywalker while Rey is left for Kylo.
    Luke Skywalker engages the Knights on the beach while Kylo attempts to kill Rey.
    The first black knight has an axe and moves towards the Luke but is Force pushed away to his death after being thrown through the air.
    After Luke dispatches the first Knight he ignites his green lightsaber.
    Luke moves through each Knight one-by-one.
    Rey and Kylo’s battle moves up to the side of a cliff.
    Suddenly Rey is nowhere to be seen. She’s taken out of the battle; she’s either wounded or appears to go over the side of the cliff.
    Luke Skywalker casually walks towards Kylo to finish him but Kylo retreats when he sees his crew defeated.
    Luke Skywalker is a badass Jedi and he’ll destroy your squad.
    One source commented:

“A lot of wire work was used.”
    Luke Skywalker fights the Knights of Ren using the Force and then his sword, a mixture of wizard and warrior. While we can confirm that Luke does use his lightsaber, we think we can confirm the color too; the lightsaber was green for the light-rod on set. So it appears Luke still has his Return of the Jedi saber after all these years. There were also white flashing effects used in the battle.

The question is: does Luke let Kylo run? Can he not kill him for familial reasons or because Rey must do it as part of her training? The impression I get is that Luke knew Kylo would run and allows him to. Luke’s behavior doesn’t indicate he believes Rey is killed or anything like that. My guess is they may film something back at Pinewood of Rey hanging on for life or injured on the side of the cliff. It sounds like Luke Skywalker arrives in time to save her from Kylo’s treachery and Rey is a really good free climber after all.

We theorize that the location is the final Jedi ruin site Luke and Rey need to visit. Based on some rumors out of Pinewood, we also theorize that Kylo may be running inside the location Luke and Rey are heading towards so the fight will continue inside the spooky ruins of the Jedi Temple there. But at this point we have no verification of these theories just the bullet-pointed statements above.

The sequence sounds really fun and may be the coolest start to a duel in a Star Wars film ever.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Snoke actually looked far younger in this than he did in the giant transmission to Kylo in TFA. There are people who think that he could have been a force projection like Luke, given how he also appeared younger in his. I however think they need Snoke gone if they're going to close off the larger story by the end of the IX, the rebels are too weak to deal with a fully functioning Frist Order and a Kylo/Hux leadership would weaken it substantially.

Reys parents definitely isn't totally closed off yet, especially with the Kenobi movie coming up and the potential story could be included.

I think they've still a lot of room to maneuver at this stage whatever way JJ decides to go.

I was actually fine with them killing Snoke in part 2 of 3 but it would have played better if they had spent some time on his backstory. Even broad strokes.

People talk about JJ and Lost but actually he only wrote 3 episodes and directed 2. Season 1, episodes 1 & 2 and Season 3, episode 1.

The problem Lost had was having so many different writers that something that gets brought in this week can potentially be misunderstood or discarded next week.

I'd point to that as an issue here. The second episode of this trilogy is almost at war with the first episode so instead of a coherent story we have a bit of a mismatch.

Tune in next time where you'll learn that there was nothing to learn. It can only take you so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,775 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Snoke actually looked far younger in this than he did in the giant transmission to Kylo in TFA. There are people who think that he could have been a force projection like Luke, given how he also appeared younger in his.

He got cut in half though :p

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the future movies delve into Rey's parents a bit more, I do believe that they're "nobodies" and not actually some big popular character, but I think we'll hear about them having more altruistic reasons for abandoning her or something like that.

Advertisement