Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A lot of the EU is being dropped for a very good reason though Dave. Largely because 90% of it is utter crap.

The likes of Force sensitive trees and Skippy the droid should be in that "never to be repeated" bin. :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tony EH wrote: »
    Maybe at the end of this trilogy, the force ghosts that will appear will be Anakin, Ben, Yoda, Luke and a sycamore.

Surely you mean Treebeard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

J Mysterio wrote: »
    'Force Trees

Yep, a dead Force tree beside the Jedi fountain in the temple courtyard, and then when Rey walks by, it flowers!

Wait, wrong movie...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

from the issue of the shattered empire comic, which is canon btw, Luke stealing the two saplings back from palpatine

force-tree.png?resize=606%2C496

Oh dear...

:(

• Advertisement

also quite close to the LOTR books, Aragorn finding a sapling up in the mountains of the white tree of minas tirith and it being a sign of the rebirth of the kingdom

these are streaming online tomorrow apparently

An Hour With Mark Hamill

July 15, 2016, 11:30 - 12:30, Celebration Stage

Start your Celebration weekend off in the best possible way, by spending time with the Jedi Master himself. Mark Hamill will chat with the audience, answer...

Speaker
    Mark Hamill, ,

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Session Logo
    July 15, 2016, 16:00 - 17:00, Celebration Stage

Secret mission? What plans? What are you talking about? Find out, when Gareth Edwards – director of the upcoming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – joins Lucasfilm...

Speaker
    Gareth Edwards, ,
    Kathleen Kennedy, ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yeh, but it should only be conscious beings that can control the force.

A force sensitive tree, suggests a "special" tree.

It sounds like something a two year old would come up with.

Is it stated somewhere that trees can control the force? I think you might be assuming too much (I've not read the comic though). I assume it's just like any other relic that is "strong with the force" and allows Jedi/Sith to draw strength from it as opposed to being some sentient being.

It still sounds bloody stupid.

Can we have a nice shrubbery that can manipulate the garden shears and do its own trimming. :pac:

As I said, being force sensitive should be limited to conscious beings.

Force trees and such is just as bad an idea as midichlorians.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nobody would care about midichlorians if they were in a decent film sure.

• Advertisement

It still sounds bloody stupid.

Can we have a nice shrubbery that can manipulate the garden shears and do its own trimming. :pac:

As I said, being force sensitive should be limited to conscious beings.

Force trees and such is just as bad an idea as midichlorians.

The cave Yoda makes Luke go into in Empire is strong with the dark side of the force..that wasnt stupid..worked really well actually..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

david75 wrote: »
    The cave Yoda makes Luke go into in Empire is strong with the dark side of the force..that wasnt stupid..worked really well actually..

Yup, and it is well established by Ben and Yoda that the force flows through everything.

Seriously though, this science fantasy, this is Star Wars, we're talking about "the force", why is the idea that trees can be a source of force energy so difficult to accept?

Midichlorians on the other hand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Weren't there 'force blocking trees' somewhere once in one of the books?
    Wanna say ysalri or something?

Dodgy. Were heading into midiclorean level territory here.

I always took that as a trick Yoda was playing to test Luke, not that a piece of inanimate rock was actually doing anything. Besides, it not explicit.

A lot will depend on how this Force tree manifests itself. It could be subtle, or it could end up being laughable.

Either way, it still sounds like a dumb idea.

I always took that as a trick Yoda was playing to test Luke, not that a piece of inanimate rock was actually doing anything. Besides, it not explicit.

A lot will depend on how this Force tree manifests itself. It could be subtle, or it could end up being laughable.

Either way, it still sounds like a dumb idea.

He's not tricking him..its canon that he actually lived by that cave in order to have its power actually hide his and protect him from being found by palpatine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeh, but it should only be conscious beings that can control the force.

Luke's saber in EP7 seemed to exert some influence on Rey...

The only canon I care about is 'Star Wars', 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi'.

The reason is thus, EU canon can be discarded at a drop of a hat as has been the case with the mouse's reboot of the franchise.

Stuff people though they knew the history of, including MAJOR characters, was destroyed in the swipe of a pen.

To me, not even those prequel disasters are canon.

Hey, if people are happy with force sensitive trees and droids and what have you...whatever.

To me, it's still a dumb idea.

The EU has been dropped though and is now called legends and no longer part of canon.

It's been destroyed David.

Han and leia had kids (plural). Now reduced to one.

That's not a "legend". That's just wiping out established histories of major characters.

It's why a lot of fans don't take anything from the EU seriously. Why bother, when the owners of the franchise don't?

They only call it "legends" because they still want people to buy that stuff.

The EU fans who are all devastated up to the point of sending death threats to Lucasfilm employees may or may not agree with you.

• Advertisement

*which isnt to say they cant/wont cherry pick elements from the EU and incorporate into canon via films or the animated series etc...

Myrddin wrote: »
    Luke's saber in EP7 seemed to exert some influence on Rey...

Did it?

Or was it Rey's latent force abilities that was speaking to her about an inanimate object and not the inanimate object?

*which isnt to say they cant/wont cherry pick elements from the EU and incorporate into canon via films or the animated series etc...

True.

They should try and pick the good stuff though.

There is a ton of good stuff to be fair...ive only dipped my toe into a few of the books...the Thrawn trilogy was pretty great. Be cool if they brought him into it somehow..Dave Filoni is making a big announcement about a new/favourite character appearing in Rebels..everyones hoping its Thrawn.

Only read the one Thrawn book and remember having some issues with it, but it was years and years ago and I enjoyed it to a point.

I would have liked to have seen a sequel to Jedi where the Empire was carrying on the fight against the rebellion. But the time for that was in the late 90's. Instead Lucas chose the...er..."Dark side" and went with those screw ups.

There's good stuff in the EU I spose, but I'm always suspect at people using secondary media as a reference for what happens on a screen.

It simply doesn't work for the majority of viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Having the force flowing from and within all living things is not the same as having a tree that is a strong source of the force. Thats fluckin daft.

The force should be an intangible thing, like an aura, which Jedi (and sith) can harness and draw upon. Not a fountain where they can fill up their water bottle.

I swear, if there is any substance to this it will blow midichlorians out of the water.

Only read the one Thrawn book and remember having some issues with it, but it was years and years ago and I enjoyed it to a point.

I would have liked to have seen a sequel to Jedi where the Empire was carrying on the fight against the rebellion. But the time for that was in the late 90's. Instead Lucas chose the...er..."Dark side" and went with those screw ups.

There's good stuff in the EU I spose, but I'm always suspect at people using secondary media as a reference for what happens on a screen.

It simply doesn't work for the majority of viewers.

a lot of the new canon books and comics are dealing with that period exactly.. Claudia Grays Bloodline is probably the best SW book ive read..Chuck Wendigs Aftermath 1&2 do it as well but not as succesfully in 1..reading the 2nd one right now.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Having the force flowing from and within all living things is not the same as having a tree that is a strong source of the force. Thats fluckin daft.

The force should be an intangible thing, like an aura, which Jedi (and sith) can harness and draw upon. Not a fountain where they can fill up their water bottle.

I swear, if there is any substance to this it will blow midichlorians out of the water.

I think i trust Rian johnson enough to make any idea within this universe work..Looper sounds like a stupididea on paper but its a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

a lot of the new canon books and comics are dealing with that period exactly.. Claudia Grays Bloodline is probably the best SW book ive read..Chuck Wendigs Aftermath 1&2 do it as well but not as succesfully in 1..reading the 2nd one right now.

Did your read Tarkin yet?? Its deadly!

I've got lords of the sith lined up to which i heard is great

I love Star Wars :D

• Advertisement

Did your read Tarkin yet?? Its deadly!

I've got lords of the sith lined up to which i heard is great

I love Star Wars :D

LOVED Tarkin!! a great read! Lords of the Sith is even better..you're in for a treat.

Have you read Plageuis? that too was a great read.

Advertisement