Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

In The Last Jedi, it’s mentioned that Kylo Ren took six of Luke’s students with him; I wonder when we’re gonna see them?

I’m guessing that they’re “the Knights of Ren” who Snoke refers to in The Force Awakens; I think that we see them with Kylo Ren when Rey has her vision.

It has to be them right?

Why no lightsabers when he has one before he turns in TLJ tho.

Just cos we don’t see it doesn’t mean they don’t have them but still sad the attack on Ahch to by kylo and the knights of ren was cut from the film. Could be JJ asked to cut it so he could use them in 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

david75 wrote: »
    I was responding to your idea of just using Star destroyers as missles to hit planets. It’s on the same page. It’s just up there. And trying to give you an in universe reason why that doesn’t happen.

Right but your "in universe" reason is that they are trying to look like the good guys by not hitting planets with Star Destroyer missiles.

Meanwhile, they are riding around in a giant moon that has been used to destroy 2 cities and at least one planet.

Then the Death Star gets destroyed so they decide "let's build another one of those Death Stars to wreck some planets and/or moons."

When that fails the First Order decides to convert an entire moon/planet into an even bigger death star type thing.

I always explained this away by assuming that a Death Star type weapon was the atomic bomb of the Star Wars universe.

What nobody seemed to realize all along was that hyperspace can be weaponized.

Or they just didn't want to weaponize hyperspace because it would make them look like the bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

It has to be them right?

Just cos we don’t see it doesn’t mean they don’t have them but still sad the attack on Ahch to by kylo and the knights of ren was cut from the film. Could be JJ asked to cut it so he could use them in 9

It would be very interesting to see how Kylo Ren recruited them; when the proverbial hit the fan at Luke’s Jedi academy (when he thought about killing Kylo Ren), I’d love to see the interaction between the six padawans and Ben Solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The simple answer is always best.
    The rebellion are a rag tag fleet. They don’t have anything like the amount of ships they’d need to do this effectively And often. They just don’t. The imperial fleet and later first order fleet are beyond massive. They’d just build tech to counter it anyways. They have tech that can pull rebel ships out of hyperspace already (in Rebels)

Also in real world terms I think our history and 9/11 I guess has brought this up as an idea. There’s no comfortable way to retcon it so that they’ve always done it.

They can’t have anyways they just don’t have the ships needed to do so.

She made a personal sacrifice and I think that’s being glossed over. Not the first suicide run we’ve seen in Star Wars but definitely the most effective.

The simplest answer usually is the best, but only when all other answers have been exhausted. ;)

Hyperspace in the Star Wars universe has been around for 1000's of years. If something like that could be weaponised so easilly, it would have been done so, long before now, even in missile form. In placing this, admittedly, cool looking scene into the 'The Last Jedi' Johnson has just made every single tactical choice made previously and in the future pointless and stupid.

I always thought that Hyperspace in Star Wars worked like warp in Star Trek, in that it warpped the space and time around the ship. Essentially, the ship wasn't present in real time. But, you had to avoid large celestial bodies, like stars or planets because they had their own massive gravity and could pull you out of hyperspace into...um...normal? space.

Now, it seems, that's all bollocks.

So, the idea that nobody had used hyperspace as its own weapon before is just remarkable in its silliness/lore oversight.

Thing is now, in future Star Wars films, when the chips are down and no one suggests the "Holdo manoeuvre", it's going to cause much eyebrow raising and eyeball rolling and there's too much of that kind of carry on happening already, by jimminy! *monocle falls into whiskey*.

Also, 9/11 was nothing new. The Japanese had that idea in the 40's and the Romans used battering ships to destroy their enemies 2000 years before that. The reason we don't see lots of 9/11's is because you have to hijack the aircraft first and that, in itself, is a very difficult thing to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It has to be them right?

Knights of Ren were never in the film, David. There was a big sequence on Ahch-To cut, but it had nothing to do with them.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes/

I'm sure they'll feature in 9. Of course, JJ will have to explain where they were for the last 2 movies.

• Advertisement

Knights of Ren were never in the film, David. There was a big sequence on Ahch-To cut, but it had nothing to do with them.

I'm sure they'll feature in 9. Of course, JJ will have to explain where they were for the last 2 movies.

They were in The Force Awakens...the people standing with Kylo Ren during Rey’s vision.

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Right but your "in universe" reason is that they are trying to look like the good guys by not hitting planets with Star Destroyer missiles.

Meanwhile, they are riding around in a giant moon that has been used to destroy 2 cities and at least one planet.

Then the Death Star gets destroyed so they decide "let's build another one of those Death Stars to wreck some planets and/or moons."

When that fails the First Order decides to convert an entire moon/planet into an even bigger death star type thing.

I always explained this away by assuming that a Death Star type weapon was the atomic bomb of the Star Wars universe.

What nobody seemed to realize all along was that hyperspace can be weaponized.

Or they just didn't want to weaponize hyperspace because it would make them look like the bad guys.

A letter you should send to
    Rian Johnson and George Lucas
    C/o Skywalker ranch
    California
    America
    GFFA

I can’t help you with your ongoing concerns but maybe they can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They were in The Force Awakens...the people standing with Kylo Ren during Rey’s vision.

Yeah I know, I'm talking about TLJ. There were rumours that they would be in the film.

There was a sequence shot in Malin Head of them attacking Luke and Rey.
    Including a sequence where they all kneel before a ship as kylo arrives.

It was shot and full reports of it were posted all over. Most detailed on making Star Wars

If you doubt that, Adam Driver was here for filming for a week. And he’s not in any shots in ‘ireland’ as it was used.

I can get you the description of what was shot Up in Donegal and cut if you like.
    Loads of wire work. Luke takes out all the KOR with just the force and kylo fighting Rey alone and he leggs it when faced with Luke alone.

A letter you should send to
    Rian Johnson and George Lucas
    C/o Skywalker ranch
    California
    America
    GFFA

I can’t help you with your ongoing concerns but maybe they can.

Haha.

Sorry, I forgot we can only talk about Star Wars if we are fully on board with every decision made by the writers.

I'm just subverting expectations here.

• Advertisement

Haha.

Sorry, I forgot we can only talk about Star Wars if we are fully on board with every decision made by the writers.

I'm just subverting expectations here.

My pal hated TLJ and after months hearing all my endless theories gave me a lovely compliment. I think. He said the wrong people are writing these films. I took it personally but in a good way haha

Tony EH wrote: »
    The simplest answer usually is the best, but only when all other answers have been exhausted. ;)

Hyperspace in the Star Wars universe has been around for 1000's of years. If something like that could be weaponised so easilly, it would have been done so, long before now, even in missile form. In placing this, admittedly, cool looking scene into the 'The Last Jedi' Johnson has just made every single tactical choice made previously and in the future pointless and stupid.

I always thought that Hyperspace in Star Wars worked like warp in Star Trek, in that it warpped the space and time around the ship. Essentially, the ship wasn't present in real time. But, you had to avoid large celestial bodies, like stars or planets because they had their own massive gravity and could pull you out of hyperspace into...um...normal? space.

So, the idea that nobody had used hyperspace as its own weapon before is just remarkable in its silliness/lore oversight.

Thing is now, in future Star Wars films, when the chips are down and no one suggests the "Holdo manoeuvre", it's going to cause much eyebrow raising and eyeball rolling and there's too much of that kind of carry on happening already, by jimminy! *monocle falls into whiskey*.

Also, 9/11 was nothing new. The Japanese had that idea in the 40's and the Romans used battering ships to destroy their enemies 2000 years before that. The reason we don't see lots of 9/11's is because you have to hijack the aircraft first and that, in itself, is a very difficult thing to do.

I would suggest that in any kind of ongoing movie or book or whatever franchise the world building is one of the most important aspects.

So when you take the world and start adding elements to it that do not necessarily "jive" with what we've seen before it has a negative impact on the overall mythology.

It sort of destroys a little of the world that was built.

When folks praise TLJ for subverting expectations or deconstructing Star Wars or such things I wonder how much of a good thing that will ultimately be.

The idea of Midi-chlorians was definitely unexpected and new. Was it good though?

We took this old Star Wars and changed all the things. We deconstructed this and subverted that. OK. Now what?

Tony I’m watching Rogue one and really enjoying it!! There’s hope for us all!

Still think that statue /mountain carving of the Jedi looks like Luke tho.

I would suggest that in any kind of ongoing movie or book or whatever franchise the world building is one of the most important aspects.

So when you take the world and start adding elements to it that do not necessarily "jive" with what we've seen before it has a negative impact on the overall mythology.

When folks praise TLJ for subverting expectations or deconstructing Star Wars or such things I wonder how much of a good thing that will ultimately be.

The idea of Midi-chlorians was definitely unexpected and new. Was it good though?

We took this old Star Wars and changed all the things. We deconstructed this and subverted that. OK. Now what?

Midchlorians weren’t new. They and it was an idea in George’s very first drafts of Star Wars.

Yes, there should always be an oracle, especially in these sci-fi franchises, so that things don't jar or end up looking dumb with future occurrences. I thought Pablo Hildago (or whatever his name is) was supposed to be that for Disney?

In any case, the whole Holdo thing is a nitpick for sure and certainly not the worst problem that 'The Last Jedi' has.

In the end, it'll probably just be quietly forgotten about, like the microscopic bugs in people's blood that are Force magnets. :rolleyes:

So the new fear and thinking is, we’re gonna see chewie and the falcon especially, get killed in 9. It’s always this unstoppable force that saves them in the nick of time and despite serving as ‘home’ in the OT and ST, as a closure in 9 it will be destroyed.

I’m not sure which is more upsetting. Chewie dying or the falcon being destroyed.

Fvck the dog. Save the ship.

Tony I’m watching Rogue one and really enjoying it!! There’s hope for us all!

Still think that statue /mountain carving of the Jedi looks like Luke tho.

Just ignore squidward, the fact that a 5 ft nothing slip of a girl can beat the crap out of a squad of 6 ft armed and armoured Stormtroopers and Walrus man and his buddy get a cameo and you're good to go.

But, if you're yapping on here, you're not watching the film.

Why is Rogue One so good?

Because it isn’t really suitable for kids; it is a movie for adult Star Wars fans.

The Last Jedi is on a hiding to nothing; their mandate is to craft a movie that both five year olds and 40-something Star Wars nerds will love; I’m not sure that’s even possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Am I the only sharp person here or did anybody else notice lack of red salt movement and footprint under Lukes feet when he was standing off against Ben, before it was revealed that he was a Force hologram

Just ignore squidward, the fact that a 5 ft nothing slip of a girl can beat the crap out of a squad of 6 ft armed and armoured Stormtroopers and Walrus man and his buddy get a cameo and you're good to go.

But, if you're yapping on here, you're not watching the film.

While I love it I hope we never see them attempt to mimic Edwards sense and eye for scale again. Some of the most beautiful and most Star Wars of shots and beyond birds eyes perspectives in this are just amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So the new fear and thinking is, we’re gonna see chewie and the falcon especially, get killed in 9. It’s always this unstoppable force that saves them in the nick of time and despite serving as ‘home’ in the OT and ST, as a closure in 9 it will be destroyed.

I’m not sure which is more upsetting. Chewie dying or the falcon being destroyed.
    It even has a blink and you'll miss it cameo in the prequels too.

milleniumfalcon.ashx?la=en&h=281&w=500

I have a feeling that the mixed reception for TLJ and the treatment of some aspects of the existing universe will have them more than reticent to do something like that in the final act. Or maybe they actually are idiots. Though if they do go Full retard™ they may consider the Falcon as some "masculine" hotrod. For that is what it is, a souped up pickup truck with a stroked V8 and supercharger, with a pair of high testosterone males at the wheel. An American Graffiti 50's hotrod in space. And this might make it disposable.

That said having Luke be a depressive hermit who runs away and throwing out everything "traditional" was dubious enough, but to "kill" Chewie and the Falcon would be a real kick in the teeth for fans old and new. Chewie is loved by kids and adults alike and The Falcon is up there with the Force as a central "character" in that world. Though they've already screwed with the very meat of the force making it an "egalitarian" superpower so at this stage anything is possible, even if it screws things at the box office.

Or Id not be too shocked anyway. Just as Lucas' Star Wars was born from a seam of post war, old Flash Gordon flics on the telly, Japanese cinema, Dune and the UCLA politic of the Hippie 60's, we got what we got in Lucas' vision. Today the seam is UCLA 80's/90's post modernist, progressive politic and a New Disney that tries to mix that with hardline returns and we get what we get in these films(TFA balanced that returns/nostalgia/New Disney angle, R1 went a little off piste and more back to the source and TLJ really went the post modernist route).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chewie and the Falcon? Naw, no way and I'd be genuinely surprised if they were both offed. For one, Chewie is a walking carpet that doesn't require expensive multimovie contracts, and the iconography of the Falcon alone makes it arguably untouchable. For the same reason you'll never see the Enterprise, TARDIS et al redesigned or canned in other franchises, there's too much goodwill and marketing dollars attached to the Falcon to destroy it; especially if that Solo prequel is any kind of success

Wibbs wrote: »
    It even has a blink and you'll miss it cameo in the prequels too.

milleniumfalcon.ashx?la=en&h=281&w=500

I have a feeling that the mixed reception for TLJ and the treatment of some aspects of the existing universe will have them more than reticent to do something like that in the final act. Or maybe they actually are idiots. Though if they do go Full retard™ they may consider the Falcon as some "masculine" hotrod. For that is what it is, a souped up pickup truck with a stroked V8 and supercharger, with a pair of high testosterone males at the wheel. An American Graffiti 50's hotrod in space. And this might make it disposable.

That said having Luke be a depressive hermit who runs away and throwing out everything "traditional" was dubious enough, but to "kill" Chewie and the Falcon would be a real kick in the teeth for fans old and new. Chewie is loved by kids and adults alike and The Falcon is up there with the Force as a central "character" in that world. Though they've already screwed with the very meat of the force making it an "egalitarian" superpower so at this stage anything is possible, even if it screws things at the box office.

Or Id not be too shocked anyway. Just as Lucas' Star Wars was born from a seam of post war, old Flash Gordon flics on the telly, Japanese cinema, Dune and the UCLA politic of the Hippie 60's, we got what we got in Lucas' vision. Today the seam is UCLA 80's/90's post modernist, progressive politic and a New Disney that tries to mix that with hardline returns and we get what we get in these films(TFA balanced that returns/nostalgia/New Disney angle, R1 went a little off piste and more back to the source and TLJ really went the post modernist route).

I can’t wait to read your autobiography:)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Chewie and the Falcon? Naw, no way and I'd be genuinely surprised if they were both offed. For one, Chewie is a walking carpet that doesn't require expensive multimovie contracts, and the iconography of the Falcon alone makes it arguably untouchable. For the same reason you'll never see the Enterprise, TARDIS et al redesigned or canned in other franchises, there's too much goodwill and marketing dollars attached to the Falcon to destroy it; especially if that Solo prequel is any kind of success

The enterprise has been destroyed and reborn how many times though?

Check out the falcons look in the han film. All new n shiney n all

g4uahr5tzh601.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The enterprise has been destroyed and reborn how many times though?

Check out the falcons look in the han film. All new n shiney n all

I was meaning to note that; I think you can argue a difference in approach though; the Enterprise by its nature is a series of ships, rather than one specific version; redesigns and rebuilds are a natural path of the story. Same too the TARDIS that has changed a number of times over the years. The Falcon is by its nature one of a kind, that's part of its myth and stature to begin with (yes I know it's a Corellian freighter, but work with me here lol)

I was meaning to note that; I think you can argue a difference in approach though; the Enterprise by its nature is a series of ships, rather than one specific version; redesigns and rebuilds are a natural path of the story. Same too the TARDIS that has changed a number of times over the years. The Falcon is by its nature one of a kind, that's part of its myth and stature to begin with (yes I know it's a Corellian freighter, but work with me here lol)

With you all the way. The Falcon is Star Wars for me. It’s home. It’s my favourite thing in the entire saga and a character all in its own. The enterprise in a similar way has that same spirit but different. Reborn and remade it’s the people in it that make it.

That said. And because of that maybe. It would make sense to put it to explosive pasture in a Last glorious act in 9

The music playing over its scene in TLJ is even the same as that in ROTJ.
    There’s gonna be a price to be paid in episode 9 and the family dog and the house will bring the biggest tears of all the deaths in the saga so far.

*dramatic swoon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Chewie and the Falcon? Naw, no way and I'd be genuinely surprised if they were both offed. For one, Chewie is a walking carpet that doesn't require expensive multimovie contracts, and the iconography of the Falcon alone makes it arguably untouchable.
    I'd agree, but we have seen Disney is not above going retcon on a few areas.
    there's too much goodwill and marketing dollars attached to the Falcon to destroy it; especially if that Solo prequel is any kind of success
    Solo will be an interesting test of Disney's handling and future in the franchise. The set tales are not good, very bad in fact and director seems to be a game of musical chairs and they're bringing in acting coaches for the lead. Not good at all.

Against that a goodly chunk of the most iconic and good flics of all time has horrendous set stories. Casablanca was written day by day and the crew didn't like it. Star Wars itself was hated by much of the crew, who were convinced Lucas hadn't a clue. A few of the cast thought similar. Through my work I knew an English chap back in the day who had started off in the film biz on of all things Star Wars. He was excited as new film types are, but even he said that this excitement didn't last too long with all the downbeat vibes from the mostly British crew working on it. He also told me it was very hard to follow and that after the fact he realised it was because it was such an FX laden film process and this was a largely new territory for cast and crew back then*. Even guys on the same crew who had worked with Kubrick on 2001 were more impatient. Kubrick's endless retakes probably distracted them and the "he's a genius y'know" bit. Lucas was a scrawny beardy Yank with only one "proper" completely different film behind him. The studio weren't too sure either. The studios had already turned down a Star Trek film and that had an established fanbase(Star Wars going ballistic meant Star Trek got the green light). It's pretty amazing it got made at all.

So yeah, Solo might actually turn out OK. Might. Ron Howard's in the chair now I think? He knows his sh1t on a few levels. Certainly when it comes to crowd pleasing blockbusters and he's way more nuanced than JJ Abrams, without the film school noodling of a Johnson. He's an "old style" director and still relatively current. It's always been a pity to me that Spielberg never shot a SW flic. Given him and George are both old friends and collaborators. George had a helluva lot to do with who Indiana Jones turned out to be. For all his faults, George can come up with a bloody good story. Bringing said story to screen can be troublesome in his hands though.

*from what I recall he told me Harrison Ford, apparently a really nice bloke to be around and consummate professional, flipped out a couple of times on SW. His theory being the blue screen process at the time. It was actually blue and a horrible flickering shade of same and was like looking into a wonky fluorescent strip light for hours.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

@ Tony

The hammerhead can hit that star destroyer cos it’s been hit just a few minutes before before ion bombs from Y wings knocking out all its systems including shields.

Youd think the empire would have a reliable failsafe. Eye roll.

Why is Rogue One so good?

Because it isn’t really suitable for kids; it is a movie for adult Star Wars fans.

Every kid I know loves it.

Why do we always think that family films have to talk down to kids by inserting stupidity, needless laughs or some afwul saccharine cutesy BS?

[oldman]In my day, films that kids could enjoy included 'Jaws', 'Close Encounters', Raiders of the Lost Ark' and the original 'Star Wars'. All of the original blockbuster films that are the template for everything you see now. But, none of them were "kiddified". No filmmaker worried about the kids not enjoying their film.[/oldman]

Kids are more than capable of processing "serious" stuff. Maybe the under 5's might get lost, but they're be lost at most films, even ones that are directly aimed at them.

• Advertisement

While I love it I hope we never see them attempt to mimic Edwards sense and eye for scale again. Some of the most beautiful and most Star Wars of shots and beyond birds eyes perspectives in this are just amazing.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. You "never" want to see Edwards "sense and eye for scale again", but they were "beautiful" and "just amazing".

Anyway, personally, I'd give Edwards every Empire era Star Wars film he's available to do. He nailed it.

In fact, I'd love to see his original cut of 'Rogue One'.

Advertisement