Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

irishman86 wrote: »
    And you are well..........clueless about movies in general since you constantly post the same drivel as a defence
    -Say everyones looking for a argument
    -Call anyone who thinks the movie is bad clueless
    -Call anyone who thinks the actors are bad racist and sexist
    -Rinse and repeat for the next person who comments they didnt like movie
    Thats what you have done on repeat buddy

That's mean and untrue. Sure he's fukkin' horribly wrong, and in the sort of denial that took prequel fans years of therapy before they could admit that those films were crap, but I'll give him this, he's passionate in his well constructed delusions, and absolutely none of that nonsense you're suggesting.

And I can say that as somebody that is absolutely prepared to live or die on the hill of an indefensibly bad movie... #HowardTheDuckIsAwesome! (not irony, it's really great, in what other movie for kids does a duck get a job as a jizz mopper in a brothel before having inter-species sex with Lea Thompson?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

And you are well..........clueless about movies in general since you constantly post the same drivel as a defence
    -Say everyones looking for a argument
    -Call anyone who thinks the movie is bad clueless
    -Call anyone who thinks the actors are bad racist and sexist
    -Rinse and repeat for the next person who comments they didnt like movie
    Thats what you have done on repeat buddy

Have you nothing else to do? Seriously?
    I wanna talk about the film and some of the ideas laid out in criticisms are brilliant and thought provoking.(not yours sadly) You seem intent on haunting my posts and having a go.
    Go for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

david75 wrote: »
    Have you nothing else to do? Seriously?
    I wanna talk about the film and some of the ideas laid out in criticisms are brilliant and thought provoking.(not yours sadly) You seem intent on haunting my posts and having a go.
    Go for it.

:rolleyes: You literally reply to every criticism of the movie with venom
    Obviously you love the movie but some of your defence are just hilarious in how wrong they are

conorhal wrote: »
    That's mean and untrue. Sure he's fukkin' horribly wrong, and in the sort of denial that took prequel fans years of therapy before they could admit that those films were crap, but I'll give him this, he's passionate in his well constructed delusions, and absolutely none of that nonsense you're suggesting.

And I can say that as somebody that is absolutely prepared to live or die on the hill of an indefensibly bad movie... #HowardTheDuckIsAwesome! (not irony, it's really great, in what other movie for kids does a duck get a job as a jizz mopper in a brothel before having inter-species sex with Lea Thompson?)

How is it mean, i dont think he understands how movies work and lives in complete denial about the movies. (I am only talking about these movies, in this universe, perhaps where he isnt so blinded by being a superfan he isnt so, but im talking about the SW universe)
    He may be passionate but his go to line is to call posters in here "tourists" when they dont agree with him
    Everything i said the poster has done

:rolleyes: You literally reply to every criticism of the movie with venom
    Obviously you love the movie but some of your defence are just hilarious in how wrong they are

A cursory glance through your post history tells its own story.

Who hurt you man? You’re angry at fvckin evvvvvvverybody it seems.

It’s Star Wars. Not worth getting so stressed about. Nor ranting at someone who doesn’t agree with you. Repeatedly. Relax yourself :)

• Advertisement

A cursory glance through your post history tells its own story.

Who hurt you man? You’re angry at fvckin evvvvvvverybody it seems.

It’s Star Wars. Not worth getting so stressed about. Nor ranting at someone who doesn’t agree with you. Repeatedly. Relax yourself :)

The irony :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: David and Irishman, take this bickering to PM please. We’ll issue cards if you carry on with this nonsense here.

Just realising. Leia using the Force to overcome death was my biggest issue with the film but on further viewing it's pretty clear that she doesn't use the Force to come back to life but rather knows she's about to be attacked and uses the Force to KEEP from dying and preserve herself in space. She senses Kylo flying past as he senses her. Either instinct or ability kicks in and she gets ready for it. She even takes a deep breath just before the missles hit.

Just realising. Leia using the Force to overcome death was my biggest issue with the film but on further viewing it's pretty clear that she doesn't use the Force to come back to life but rather knows she's about to be attacked and uses the Force to KEEP from dying and preserve herself in space. She senses Kylo flying past as he senses her. Either instinct or ability kicks in and she gets ready for it. She even takes a deep breath just before the missles hit.

If you're the kind of fan that says, 'if you pause the movie at 49:68 you can see Leia take a deep breath before the missiles hit'... you're defending a badly written movie desperately grasping at justifications....

It's Ok for the audience to ask questions, "why did Bogart slip that gun into her pocket without her noticing", if it pays off, "Oh, he knew the bad guys would search him, but might overlook her". If an audience asks, "how was that gun in her pocket in the first place?" That's bad writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's still an epically bad scene.

No amount of mental gymnastics will remedy that.

It should have been cut and a decent director wouldn't have let it stay in, or a decent editor would have eliminated it.

It does nothing for the plot, her character, or the film in general and has been a laughing stock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't believe I'm debating science in a Star Wars movie, but holding in your breath before entering a vacuum is the WORST thing you can do. The pressure difference will rupture your lungs IIRC, whereas exhaling all air first is the way to go.

If you're the kind of fan that says, 'if you pause the movie at 49:68 you can see Leia take a deep breath before the missiles hit'... you're defending a badly written movie with desperately grasping justifications....

Well you clearly see her sensing kylo. And he senses her too. The camera jumps back and forth between them. ( It was even in the trailers)

And her ship is under attack at the time.

She knows they’re about to get hit. That’s not me defending anything. It’s describing what’s going on in the scene. (The breath I can’t tell for sure but looks like it)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

What was all that about ?
    Mary Poppins in Space ? - really ?
    Rose ? who what WHY ?

I know for a fact St. Tibulas wore more clothes than that !! - sure he was from Norway he would have frozen to death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just seen it. Thought it was fairly ****. Luke called Jedi a religion? WTF?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm debating science in a Star Wars movie, but holding in your breath before entering a vacuum is the WORST thing you can do. The pressure difference will rupture your lungs IIRC, whereas exhaling all air first is the way to go.

We hear space ships In Star Wars now Leia can survive in space. Maybe there’s air in space in Star Wars? Two birds one stone :)

Just seen it. Thought it was fairly ****. Luke called Jedi a religion? WTF?

They've been calling it a religion since 1977.

Tony EH wrote: »
    They've been calling it a religion since 1977.

Some hokey old religion even. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Leia's scene was magical and something unexpected. She uses her Force powers in a unique way and not some fan servicing lightsaber battle or the like.

Some people seem to forget, these are space fantasy movies involving the use of magic (aka The Force). Is Leia's escape any more unbelievable than Force lightening suddenly coming from the Emperor's fingers at the end of ROTJ.

It's make believe, just go with it !!

It still looks dumb.

Make believe or not.

Wedwood wrote: »
    Leia's scene was magical and something unexpected. She uses her Force powers in a unique way and not some fan servicing lightsaber battle or the like.

Some people seem to forget, these are space fantasy movies involving the use of magic (aka The Force). Is Leia's escape any more unbelievable than Force lightening suddenly coming from the Emperor's fingers at the end of ROTJ.

It's make believe, just go with it !!

Yeah.... 'going with it' does require some buy in from the audience that has been set up by the plot that establishes the scenario though. Otherwise you might as well say, '...and Luke shoots magic rainbow sparkles out of his ass and blows up the Death Star... just go with it!"
    Yeah... that would have been one of the most beloved movies of all time...

• Advertisement

To be fair we’d all love to go with it. BUt the depiction of it is so bad.

I can only can think that Carrie Fisher would have fckin loved it and the meltdown response were all having to to it though :) she’s laughing her head off at us somewhere

To be fair we’d all love to go with it. BUt the depiction of it is so bad.

I can only can think that Carrie Fisher would have fckin loved it and the meltdown response were all having to to it though :) she’s laughing her head off at us somewhere

You know what, I think that's actually pretty true, but then she did hate the franchise and love a good meme.

You know what, I think that's actually pretty true, but then she did hate the franchise and love a good meme.

I think she might have wrote the scene tbh. Johnson did say he collaborated with her.
    Wouldn’t say she hated the franchise. She definitely blew hot and cold on it but seemed to really get into it again once TFA was coming. Classic showbiz daughter. Burned by the lights you crave n all that. Got into Her books after her passing. She was just brilliant and troubled.

I think she might have wrote the scene tbh. Johnson did say he collaborated with her.
    Wouldn’t say she hated the franchise. She definitely blew hot and cold on it but seemed to really get into it again once TFA was coming. Classic showbiz daughter. Burned by the lights you crave n all that. Got into Her books after her passing. She was just brilliant and troubled.

He should have collaborated further, Carrie Fisher could actually write worth a damn. Fisher was a funny, sarcastic broad who could have done a lot to fix the 'humor' in that script.

Tony EH wrote: »
    It still looks dumb.

Make believe or not.

Meh. I thought it was fine. I liked it as she flew threw the holo map thing.

I'm horribly inconsistent. I thought cgi Tarkin was a travesty but Super-Leia? No probs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Riddle101

So what happens now with Leia then? Are they going to CGI her into the next movie or will they write her out of the movie, possibly mentioning her death in the opening crawl of the Episode 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Riddle101 wrote: »
    So what happens now with Leia then? Are they going to CGI her into the next movie or will they write her out of the movie, possibly mentioning her death in the opening crawl of the Episode 9.

They will CGI, they had the opportunity to do it in this movie but they kept her on, to write her death off, off screen would just be clumsy and take away from her character. Then again if this movie is anything to go by, they have shown how clumsy with the story telling they can be without giving a ****. So anythings possible, nothing will trump super Leia in the WTF department so they can go hog wild.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I thought that Admiral Akbar’s death was glossed over a little too quickly.

• Advertisement

Meh. I thought it was fine. I liked it as she flew threw the holo map thing.

THe map of Snokes ship. Foreshadowing what happens later.

They’ve said there’s no plans to recreate her digitally. I can’t see them recasting.

There’ll be a time jump between these films to give the rebellion time to build&arduous to get going with the academy. Leia will have passed in that time and it will serve as a wake up call to galvanise their allies against the first order.
    She’ll be written out in the opening crawl I’m betting

Advertisement