Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Tony's suggestion that Han's face would have been known everywhere got me thinking: Are there newspapers or television news channels in the SW universe? I did a quick google and it seems it's not even clear if the characters can read or not. Even Luke's myth-making act in TLJ seems to have spread orally.

Interesting blog post I found:

How 'The Last Jedi' Books Changed 'Star Wars' Forever: Maybe Luke Skywalker can read:

They have the holonet which is the internet basically. News and entertainment etc.
    It’s how kylo finds out Vader was his grandfather. Leias secret is revealed in the senate and it’s this big scandalous thing all over the holonet and she’s forced to leave the senate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    They have the holonet which is the internet basically. News and entertainment etc.
    It’s how kylo finds out Vader was his grandfather. Leias secret is revealed in the senate and it’s this big scandalous thing all over the holonet and she’s forced to leave the senate.

This is only in the books and comics, though, right? Is it seen or mentioned in the movies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

When I seen the conference call at the start I was like 'this is cringe' but when Luke threw the lightsabre over his shoulder I was just like 'oh no no no this is terrible'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Ancient jedi texts, sure hope they can read, for the jedi's sake :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think you have unrealistic expectations. Star Wars has to entertain people of all ages. Five to fifty. It’s not some high minded Werzog arty think piece nor should it be.

Oddly enough The Last Jedi is IMO noteworthy for the way it embraces arthouse and world cinema influences in the way it tells its story. Like I never really expected to be noting what appears to be a prominent Seijun Suzuki - a master of new wave, non-conventional cinema - homage in a ****ing Disney Star Wars film (see the Tokyo Drifter clip from 1.08 or so in the video below).

• Advertisement

This is only in the books and comics, though, right? Is it seen or mentioned in the movies?

Yeah think you’re right. It *might be in the prequels somewhere

-* the bar obi wan and Anakin go into has sports playing on the tv.

Oddly enough The Last Jedi is noteworthy for the way it embraces arthouse influences in the way it tells its story. Like I never really expected to be noting what appears to be a prominent Seijun Suzuki - a master of new wave, non-conventional cinema - homage in a ****ing Disney Star Wars film (see the scene clip from 1.08 or so in the video below).

Yeah there’s a list out there somewhere of all the references to other films in TLJ and usually they’re in that genre.

nix wrote: »
    Ancient jedi texts, sure hope they can read, for the jedi's sake :)

Ben has a calligraphy set on his bedside locker in the flashback scene. Also one in Luke’s hut on the island.
    A nod to monks copying manuscripts I bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Tony's suggestion that Han's face would have been known everywhere got me thinking: Are there newspapers or television news channels in the SW universe?

In Rogue One they have a "wanted" broadcast for the defected pilot on Jedha...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah there’s a list out there somewhere of all the references to other films in TLJ and usually they’re in that genre.

I think Johnson’s influences are broader than a single genre or style of film, and that’s what makes him so interesting. As seen in his earlier work, he likes to take a familiar genre and completely twist it - Brick most obviously translating a very specific genre into a very different context, or The Brothers Bloom and the way it runs zig-zags around the usual caper film template. While nowhere near as radical, there is certainly a bit of a Godard or Suzuki-like trickster in the way he toys with the ‘rules’ - albeit in TLJ’s case within the massive and obvious limits that come with a ~$200m budget ;)

Stray thought: dawns on me that the lo-fi approach to the ‘Force Skype’ echoes the largely in-camera time travel effect in Looper - why go any more complicated when a sharp cut will do the job?

• Advertisement

I think Johnson’s influences are broader than a single genre or style of film, and that’s what makes him so interesting. As seen in his earlier work, he likes to take a familiar genre and completely twist it - Brick most obviously translating a very specific genre into a very different context, or The Brothers Bloom and the way it runs zig-zags around the usual caper film template. While nowhere near as radical, there is certainly a bit of a Godard or Suzuki-like trickster in the way he toys with the ‘rules’ - albeit in TLJ’s case within the massive and obvious limits that come with a ~$200m budget ;)

And he’s done it so well that the general audience don’t notice and real film buffs are goin ‘I see what you did there’ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think you have unrealistic expectations. Star Wars has to entertain people of all ages. Five to fifty. It’s not some high minded Werzog arty think piece nor should it be.

"logic and consistency"

Unrealistic expectations.

Tony EH wrote: »
    "logic and consistency"

Han went back to what he always did and he knew how to do. That’s logical and consistent with his character.

Tony's suggestion that Han's face would have been known everywhere got me thinking: Are there newspapers or television news channels in the SW universe? I did a quick google and it seems it's not even clear if the characters can read or not. Even Luke's myth-making act in TLJ seems to have spread orally.

They read this rubbish...

https://i.stack.imgur.com/ZdgxM.png

Luke's x wing has a written message at one point that he reads. So, yes, I'm assuming that they can read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Tony EH wrote: »
    "logic and consistency"

He's got a ****tonne of homages and film-nerd nod's he's gotta cram into into the film.

He doesn't have time for that ****.

Han went back to what he always did and he knew how to do. That’s logical and consistent with his character.

No. His character arc is a bad guy (a drug smuggler in fact) who changes his ways and becomes instrumental in achiving good for the galaxy in helping to destroy a fascistic Empire.

Then Abrams resets him, eliminating that entire arc, just because he wanted a cheap call back and he couldn't think of giving a more logical career, post galactic victory.

It's stupid and no amount of excuses can change why it was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I saw this latest one earlier. Have to say of the three new ones its the one I like the least.

I like the force awakens even if its a rip off of the original. Rogue I think was great. This one I didn't like the storyline script in lots of places.

Tony you’re suggesting as he was previously a general in a rebel outfit, Han should have been part of the new republic government then? Doing what? That would be a total break with the character. He’s not qualified to do that or even interested in doing it. That would be a totally different character. He’s not even involved crime that we know about in TFA. Seems to be procuring rare stuff for rich people.
    If he had been doing any other job most of all involved with government you’d be complaining it’s not true to the character. And you’d be right.
    Going back to what he always did was the only way they could go with him.

Of all the problems I have with storyline Han Solo his not being a general isn't one of them.

Tony you’re suggesting as he was previously a general in a rebel outfit, Han should have been part of the new republic government then? Doing what? That would be a total break with the character. He’s not qualified to do that or even interested in doing it. That would be a totally different character. He’s not even involved crime that we know about in TFA. Seems to be procuring rare stuff for rich people.
    If he had been doing any other job most of all involved with government you’d be complaining it’s not true to the character. And you’d be right.
    Going back to what he always did was the only way they could go with him.

No, I'm saying it's ridiculous that he'd go back to being a criminal and the ONLY reason it's so, was because 'The Force Awakens' was poorly written as has been this trilogy so far.

• Advertisement

That assumes being a rebel general pays better then being a smugger. That seems unlikely.

All the evidence suggests he wasn’t even that good as a father. Not through any abuse just through neglect. So suggesting he’d be a big deal in the new set up would be contradictory to who the character is.

Bah, whatever. To hell what all this shite. I've been up since 5. Night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

The Rebels were a rabble; to say that Han was a “General” in the ordinary meaning of the word is stretching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's official , Episode III was a better movie than TLJ

438108.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It's official , Episode III was a better movie than TLJ

438108.png

Hardly surprising, last jedi is an absolute turkey IMO.

The badly judged spoof comedy is something Lucas would have done, I cant believe Disney execs saw it and said "yup looks great" :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What a world we live in where movie discussion boils down to 0.1 percentage points. It's like economic forecasts, only with more emojis :rolleyes: :D

This thread gets 8.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

pixelburp wrote: »
    What a world we live in where movie discussion boils down to 0.1 percentage points. It's like economic forecasts, only with more emojis :rolleyes: :D

This thread gets 8.1

Maybe I should have put "official" :p

Still, It does raise an interesting point about audience v critics opinions ?

The media will have you believe that the prequels were a complete disaster and these new films are just far superior (maybe true for TFA, but not TLJ), but you can't just dismiss the prequels - especially III.

III had far more plot tie ups though. Thats probably why people like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How did filmmakers know if people liked a movie before the internet? I guess it was a combination of 1) box office results (which depended more on word of mouth back then), 2) critic reviews and 3) sitting in with an audience and seeing how they respond. Somehow they managed without Twitter and Rotten Tomatoes. And a lot of people would say the movies were better then too.

For a while there it seemed like Hollywood was really paying attention to what online nerds were saying. Hell, Peter Jackson re-wrote and re-shot parts of LOTR because of stuff he read in the comment section of Ain't It Cool News! lol.

I am fascinated to see whether Abrams takes onboard the fan criticism of TLJ.

Advertisement