Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Well looks like The Last Jedi is gone from Screen 1 in the Savoy, was hoping to see it one more time before they butcher it.

Man ill miss that place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Well looks like The Last Jedi is gone from Screen 1 in the Savoy, was hoping to see it one more time before they butcher it.

Man ill miss that place

it will be missed..that company have really shot themselves in the foot with this...the stella in rathmines should have been their inspiration for doing the place up and making it a go to must do place for cinema experience..

RIP

PS the star wars show is back with loads of secrets about the last jedi, if anyone is bothered..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p09c0MXDxto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

:pac: Exactly.

DS0-WBYWkAA4d93.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I prefer this.

I prefer this.

Brilliant :)

• Advertisement

Apparently if you listen really closely she does the wilhelm scream :)

https://twitter.com/eleventhirtyate/status/951250330699825154

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Tony EH wrote: »
    :pac: Exactly.

DS0-WBYWkAA4d93.jpg

The fate of the Republic hinges on executing this last shot, top secret plan, But Hay!!! I got a great idea!!! let’s tell that rogue pilot, You know.... the one who blatantly ignores orders and always questions authority.

I don’t understand people’s confusion over why Leia/Holdo didn’t clue Poe in on this. I would have done the exact same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

kerplun k wrote: »
    I don’t understand people’s confusion over why Leia/Holdo didn’t clue Poe in on this. I would have done the exact same.

Because it's silly.

The plan is essentially a rendezvous on a specific area of a specific planet. Everyone would have to know where they were going for that to work.

Poe sees part1 - abandon ship - and natch thinks that that's all there is too it, which he's right in thinking would be absolute suicide.

Had Holdo said, "yeh but pt 2 is yadda yadda...", there's a different outcome.

It's just a clumsily written scene to use as a set up for a little bit of drama on board the cruiser. But, it doesn't really work as the solution to avoid any antagonism is simple.

Telling the guy that just got half your fleet wiped out and loads of people killed, your next move. Yeah that makes loads of sense.

*it makes no sense at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

david75 wrote: »
    Telling the guy that just got half your fleet wiped out and loads of people killed, your next move. Yeah that makes loads of sense.

*it makes no sense at all

Irrespective of his failings in the previous battle, he commands respect and allies within the Resistance. Any 'decent' general would see that it would be a risk to leave him out of any plans or discussions.

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »
    Irrespective of his failings in the previous battle, he commands respect and allies within the Resistance. Any 'decent' general would see that it would be a risk to leave him out of any plans or discussions.

He’s a dangerous hot head who breaks chain of command and disobeys direct orders to catastrophic conclusions. There’s no way at all in any universe he’d be told anything.
    If anything he should have been thrown into the brig.

He’s a dangerous hot head who breaks chain of command and disobeys direct orders to catastrophic conclusions. There’s no way at all in any universe he’d be told anything.
    If anything he should have been thrown into the brig.

And yet he rose to the rank of Commander somehow... Did he only become a hot-head for the one bombing mission against the Dreadnought? If his hot-headedness was detected earlier than how did he make Commander? If not, then the promotion system and the officers handing out promotions are pretty bad.

Either way, its a silly storyline. Particularly the sudden shift in tone when Poe learns of the transport plan. He starts smashing things and Holdo tells him to be removed from the bridge. In the very next scene, they are back having the chats and Poe tells her the plan about Rose and Finn. She tells him its ridiculous and he has a few of his mates ready to start a mutiny. How did he go from being removed from the bridge to organising a mutiny in that timeframe?

EDIT: Furthermore, when the mutiny is ended Holdo says she likes him?! The entire Poe storyline on the Resistance ship is poorly devised and executed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I feel like this thread truly has started to repeat itself, many times over. Here we are, back debating Holdo & Poe (lol, that kinda sounds like the name of a kids TV show) all over again. Truly to be subscribed to this thread is to experience repetition :D

It’s one of the weirder knit pics for sure.
    There’s far bigger things that happen that could be great for debate and we haven’t really touched it. Luke’s whole thing at the end for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There’s far bigger things that happen that could be great for debate and we haven’t really touched it. Luke’s whole thing at the end for example.

5000+ posts and you think we haven't covered everything enough? :eek: :P

True, there are far more easier things to defend. But, when there is an entire story-line that baffles the mind, it warrants discussion. Its not weird at all. If we say fifty percent of the spine of this film is 'The Resistance Story' and the other fifty percent is the Rey/Kylo/Luke story, then its hard to look past the central motif of 'The Resistance Story' being about an officer not being told anything about a plan he eventually agrees makes sense.

Half the film centres around a guy being frozen out of a piece of information for a plan that he actually agrees with!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"Why did Admiral Holdo not tell Captain Poe the secret plan" is the new "How did Batman get back Gotham". The answer is self-explanatory. The fact that the mutiny etc wouldn't have happened if she had told him is neither here nor there. If Poe hadn't been an insubordinate hothead and just obeyed orders the mutiny etc wouldn't have happened either.

Everyone is focusing on Holdo even though her behaviour is the least weak part of this. She didn’t know Poe was going to lead a mutiny. And even if she had, her solution probably would have been to throw him in the brig the minute he walked up to her.

The bigger implausibility with the Holdo/Poe subplot isn't that Holdo doesn't tell Poe the plan but that Leia forgives him for leading a mutiny. Realistically, Poe and his mutineers should have been executed. Then Poe wouldn't have accidentally leaked the plan to DJ who then told the First Order, which was presumedly why Holdo didn't want to tell anyone in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

The fate of the Republic hinges on executing this last shot, top secret plan, But Hay!!! I got a great idea!!! let’s tell that rogue pilot, You know.... the one who blatantly ignores orders and always questions authority.

He's a captain (Recently commander), he's not a private scrub, he was demoted, not kicked out of the rebellion, him knowing there's a plan is better than him panicking and doing his own plan. Which is what happens, it doesnt make sense that him nor the dozen others that helped him didnt know what was going on when the rest of the bloody ship knew, top secret my ass.. :rolleyes:

Exactly because he’s lead a mutiny after he’s been demoted is why he wasn’t told anything. Hearts in the right place but he needed to learn a few hard lessons.

*edit-I really love Poes character he’s pure Star Wars done right. Holdo is brilliant too and it’s a shame we won’t see her again.

Exactly because he’s lead a mutiny after he’s been demoted is why he wasn’t told anything. Hearts in the right place but he needed to learn a few hard lessons.

It felt derivative and patronising. "Now, little Poe, do you see why Mammy told you do what you are told? Its because you aren't old enough to understand what the adults are deciding."

• Advertisement

It felt derivative and patronising. "Now, little Poe, do you see why Mammy told you do what you are told? Its because you aren't old enough to understand what the adults are deciding."

This is a perfectly legitimate reason for not liking the Poe/Holdo stuff. I wish people would just say this instead of claiming it's a plot hole.

Well that’s how he’s behaving. If he was all noble and worth listening to he could have gone to Holdo and pitched Finn and roses idea to her, but he didn’t. He’s behaving like a brat who thinks he knows better. He even says as much to 3PO ‘this is a need to know mission, and she doesn’t need to know’

Well that’s how he’s behaving. If he was all noble and worth listening to he could have gone to Holdo and pitched Finn and roses idea to her, but he didn’t. He’s behaving like a brat who thinks he knows better. He even says as much to 3PO ‘this is a need to know mission, and she doesn’t need to know’

It's almost as if Disney are telling little boys to behave and listen to their mothers, because they know best. Ugh.

I totally forgot about that line. Poe's just as bad as Holdo. :D

I totally forgot about that line. Poe's just as bad as Holdo. :D

Funny timing. The guy from Star Wars underworld is talking about this on twitter. He just posted ‘A character making a mistake isn’t a plot hole.

That’s drama.’

Someone replied ‘#SchlockMercenary webcomic, Maxim 70: failure isn't optional, it is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.’

Weirdly the Holdo/Poe thing hasn’t been an issue really. People are mostly pissed about Luke / not my luke etc

nix wrote: »
    He's a captain (Recently commander), he's not a private scrub, he was demoted, not kicked out of the rebellion

Which shows that he’s a loose canning and not thinking straight.

Think about it for a second. Would you let a man who’s actions have just caused the deaths of half his fleet, and then try defend those actions, honestly, if you were in charge, would you go around telling ever Tom, Dick and Harry, your one and only escape route, and it course it was top secret, it only takes one person, a traitor or someone just trying to save themselves to feck everything up.

AGreed. Weird people are latching onto that when Leia tells Finn, who just walked in from the first order a day or two ago, what their plan is how they’re going about it and how she’s left a trail for Rey to find them. He could as easily be a spy for the first order.

I disagree. I felt it was great storytelling. It gave Poe some much needed character development, and I was right there with him. Like Poe, I was frustrated with Holdo. We’ve all been in that situation when you questions or disagree with an authoritative decision, only to see the end result and admit you were wrong. And maybe that’s why it worked so well for me.

I wish people would just say this instead of claiming it's a plot hole.

That’s a perfect way of putting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Which shows that he’s a loose canning and not thinking straight.

Think about it for a second. Would you let a man who’s actions have just caused the deaths of half his fleet, and then try defend those actions, honestly, if you were in charge, would you go around telling ever Tom, Dick and Harry, your one and only escape route, and it course it was top secret, it only takes one person, a traitor or someone just trying to save themselves to feck everything up.

And with that, it would make sense to tell the best pilot in the fleet who has proven himself, countless times about the plan. He made a bad leadership call on a mission he was leading, that wasnt exactly a failed mission. There is no reason not to tell Poe about the plan, its ****ing stupid not to :rolleyes:

Do you think Poe got all the way to commander by being an untrustworthy hot head?

It doesnt make sense, and the reason it doesnt make sense is because the writing is a ****ing joke. :pac:

Advertisement