Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah but I don't think he meant literally the exact moment. The Episode 8 teaser shows the same moment of Rey offering the lightsaber again but from Luke's POV. So if that's in the film then technically it starts before. And there may be more where that came from.

It would be very much Johnson's style to do this. And would also be a nice twist. We were all trying to read Luke's expression - is he conflicted, etc?. But maybe it was just a "Who are you? I'm busy" look.

I wouldn't rule out your idea that Kylo arrives immediately afterwards. The novel was written before Johnson finished his script. They aren't going to let "but the novel said" get in the way of a good scene in the film. Also weeks may have passed between Rey and Kylo's duel and Rey going to find Luke.

After Abrams's recent comments, though, I'm sceptical how much of a role the KOR will have. They sound like eu fodder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Yeah but I don't think he meant literally the exact moment. The Episode 8 teaser shows the same moment of Rey offering the lightsaber again but from Luke's POV. So if that's in the film then technically it starts before. And there may be more where that came from.

It would be very much Johnson's style to do this. And would also be a nice twist. We were all trying to read Luke's expression - is he conflicted, etc?. But maybe it was just a "Who are you? I'm busy" look.

I wouldn't rule out your idea that Kylo arrives immediately afterwards. The novel was written before Johnson finished his script. They aren't going to let "but the novel said" get in the way of a good scene in the film. Also weeks may have passed between Rey and Kylo's duel and Rey going to find Luke.

After Abrams's recent comments, though, I'm sceptical how much of a role the KOR will have. They sound like eu fodder.

Totally forgot about that. It would presumably take a week or however long to get there from the base they left.

One thing FA and I guess all Star Wars films do is make it seem like hyperspace gets you there instantly. FA did it more than any of the films really.

Good spot never thought of it.

If you think about it, picking up at the exact moment it left off makes it truly episodic in the style Lucas always aspired to, the old Flash Gordon serials like.

Don't know what will happen but I am beyond delighted we pick up there. We'd all feel robbed of it. That first conversation between them is so intriguing. So happy we're gonna get to see it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

How would Kylo arrive when he doesnt know where Luke is? Would be a bad idea for him anyway given he's badly injured. I dont see it.

I see Episode 8 starting with Luke and Rey discussing shìt and some revelations through that on (a) what Luke has been up to and (b) who Reys is and about her past and parents.

I then see a big funeral for Han.

It think it will be a slow buy fascinating start with an action/ battle set piece in the middle which leads to a few cliffhangers for 9.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    How would Kylo arrive when he doesnt know where Luke is? Would be a bad idea for him anyway given he's badly injured. I dont see it.

I see Episode 8 starting with Luke and Rey discussing shìt and some revelations through that on (a) what Luke has been up to and (b) who Reys is and about her past and parents.

I then see a big funeral for Han.

It think it will be a slow buy fascinating start with an action/ battle set piece in the middle which leads to a few cliffhangers for 9.

He clearly finds out where Luke is. The stuff they filmed here was all Knights of ren and kylo battling Luke and Rey.

Its possible there may be an attack at Hans funeral, led by Kylo, which could further decimate the good guys.

Maybe the funeral will be happening while Luke and Rey are still on Skellig and luke is developing Reys gifts.

An attack by Kylo may lead to him finding their coordinates and heading to Skellig.

• Advertisement

As to the funeral..Hope we see it. Han deserves it. Will Luke and Rey be in attendance though? And chewie??? He's with Rey? Could be the scene we see Luke and Leia reunited!

Its possible there may be an attack at Hans funeral, led by Kylo, which could further decimate the good guys.

Maybe the funeral will be happening while Luke and Rey are still on Skellig and luke is developing Reys gifts.

An attack by Kylo may lead to him finding their coordinates and heading to Skellig.

Not what I'm hearing. Apparently Leia does get attacked and kylo defends her and that's his redemption. Just a theory though as they all are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The novel was written before Johnson finished his script. They aren't going to let "but the novel said" get in the way of a good scene in the film. Also weeks may have passed between Rey and Kylo's duel and Rey going to find Luke.

They are not going to disregard canon material so soon though, if ever, especially given they've a story group made out of fans.
    What did Abrams say?

They are not going to disregard canon material so soon though, if ever, especially given they've a story group made out of fans.

What did Abrams say?

He was asked what Star Wars film would be like to see and he said he'd like to see a film about the Knights of ren.
    Of course the Star Wars universe online has gone wild with that and more than ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What did Abrams say?

He said that the KOR backstory would make good a prequel/standalone film. I wondered at one point if maybe the KOR were Johnson's idea as they seemed like setup for Episode 8, but these comments would suggest that they were actually Abrams's idea and that Johnson isn't doing much if anything with them.

As for canon, they obviously aren't going to come out and say "screw that, it was only in the books", but if push comes to shove I don't believe they'll restrict the filmmakers. In the event that something has to be changed I think the story group will find some way to fanwank it.

This is early days yet, though, and the story group is probably still mostly working off of ideas that came from the filmmakers themselves. But unless Disney are planning to replace Kennedy with a Feige-like producer who will oversee the franchise like a tv show, conflict between the films and the nu-EU is inevitable.

• Advertisement

I think the story group will find some way to fanwank it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

spoilers
    Luke is training Rey in Irish Dancing on Skellig..thats the movie..[tweet]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Did I hear the trailer is out for Star Wars 8?

Anybody got a link? Goggle throws up a lot of nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No, no trailers yet. There have been a couple for the spinoff film, Rogue One, which is maybe what you had heard about, but nothing yet for Episode 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

pixelburp wrote: »
    No, no trailers yet. There have been a couple for the spinoff film, Rogue One, which is maybe what you had heard about, but nothing yet for Episode 8

That could be it. That spin off movie is a little confusing actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Vertigo100 wrote: »

Not gonna happen. Hate that stupendous wave guy. Posts his every brain fart as 'leaked plot details'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭xper

david75 wrote: »
    Ehrenreich looks like the younger Ford superficially, yes, but he does look like the version of Solo that went to a good college rather than spent years avoiding star destroyers on the Kessel Run. I could tolerate a less perfect likeness if the performance matches the character, that's far more important. I thought Ford did a great job of capturing older Solo in TFA, especially in the scenes with Chewy.

I would presume any Obi-wan film would be set some years before and not directly connected to the events of A New Hope so they could get away with McGregors appearance being closer to that in ROTS which was sufficient to suggest he was 'turning into' Alec Guinness.

There's a few issues of the Star Wars comics that deal directly with Obi wans time on tatooine watching over Luke and the family. It would make for a brilliant film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Ewan mcgregor has already hinted that he's had talks to play obi wan again so I'm sure we'll see him again.

He's also stated quite clearly he's tired of being asked about it cos it looks like he's campaigning Disney to make it happen and he really isn't. But I do agree it's a matter of time. We'll definitely see an Obi wan film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If it's done right, it could be good. But Kenobi spent two decades on Tatooine watching over Luke. It might be difficult to pull a decent film out of that. Not impossible, but hard to imagine a sweeping epic being done, considering the locals thought he was just a crazy old hermit living in the Jundland Wastes, with his time spent writing journals and dealing with Hutts water tax.

Haven't read any comics, but given Disney's penchant for jettisoning canon willy nilly, I wouldn't hang my coat on that.

Tony EH wrote: »
    If it's done right, it could be good. But Kenobi spent two decades on Tatooine watching over Luke. It might be difficult to pull a decent film out of that. Not impossible, but hard to imagine a sweeping epic being done, considering the locals thought he was just a crazy old hermit living in the Jundland Wastes, with his time spent writing journals and dealing with Hutts water tax.

Haven't read any comics, but given Disney's penchant for jettisoning canon willy nilly, I wouldn't hang my coat on that.

I thought you dont like the Jedi? If its an Obi Wan film, its going to be exceedingly strong in the force.

Personally, I think that Disney should just focus on episodes 8 and 9 for now and leave the stand alone films for later.

Tony EH wrote: »

The comics I refered to earlier about it are part of the new canon and they're really great. Surprisingly action packed.

I thought you dont like the Jedi? If its an Obi Wan film, its going to be exceedingly strong in the force.

Personally, I think that Disney should just focus on episodes 8 and 9 for now and leave the stand alone films for later.

No, not mad about the Jedi. But Ben Kenobi is great. That's...ahem...Star Wars Ben Kenobi and not prequel Ben Kenobi. :P

I spose I hate the way the Jedi are presented in the prequels more than anything else. PREQUEL ALERT!!!

Old Ben is perfectly fine in the real films. :pac:

As for standalone films, yeh, they do send a shiver up the spine. They could be good, but they could also end up dreadful.

I think Disney may be trying the Marvel route for their Star Wars. That's, frankly a double edged sword for fans. It could be great. or it could be "factory" like the Marvel films. Things that don't really satisfy.

david75 wrote: »
    The comics I refered to earlier about it are part of the new canon and they're really great. Surprisingly action packed.

OK Dave. I'm not really a comics reader, especially of Star Wars stuff. I'll see if I can check them out.

Problem with comic media is that film makers tend to treat them as secondary canon, in fact the comics industry treat the canon as fairly throwaway, cos they discard much of it themselves every few years.

In the right hands though, a Ben Kenobi flim could be decent. In any case, we're years off of it yet.

• Advertisement

Star Wars: Lando Calrissian

Lando faces his old gambling ring nemesis in a high stakes game of life and death. While old friends are there to lend a hand, a chance encounter with a mysterious dancer threatens to lead him down the wrong path.

Advertisement