Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

A little break from the squabblin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wow.

Shit, now we have a maths formula (and a rhythm) for the Imperial March. :D

It rhymes adds up, it's like poetry maths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The cantina theme is even better :) totally hypnotic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry, I ain't really getting these at all.

The Imperial March at the start yes, the Cantina theme, none of it at all.

And is there any significance to the actual stuff she's writing down? Or could she just write anything at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hi guys any idea if the Cineworld IMAX version is 70mm , or should I just go standard cinema showing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Finally got to see this last night. I enjoyed it good cinema movie, moves the story on nicely.

Main criticisim would be that it would of been a much sharper movie if it lost about 20-30 mins of its runtime. It felt bloated in parts, felt the comedy was pushed a little too hard and in your face at times, in parts it felt like the prequel trilogy. Fair enough about putting in the porgs cause there was birds in alot of shots on the island, but why one needed to come on the millenium falcon i dont know.

Visually its a great looking movie, acting is decent, story is decent. In dire need of a sharper editor for the next film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

DSoikK7X4AAD0Me.jpg

Only one winner there.

So much eye roll.

*mens rights activists

https://twitter.com/bbw_bff/status/953106797878960128

This is really cool. 10 revelations about the Last Jedi from Rian Johnson
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-last-jedi-10-revelations-director-rian-johnson/

Also Empires Last Jedi spoiler special. With an interview with Rian Johnson
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/star-wars-the-last-jedi-spoiler-special/id507987292?i=1000399898291&mt=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Jesus, i had no idea that was Adrian Edmondson, he scrubed up well, i knew he looked familiar, i just thought it was Admiral Piett and the same actor that played him.. and that he just "aged" well..lol... Its now stupid thinking about it :confused::o:pac:

david75 wrote: »
    So much eye roll.

*mens rights activists

https://twitter.com/bbw_bff/status/953106797878960128

That's hilarious. It's clearly made by trolls and its working perfectly. I wanna watch that :pac:

nix wrote: »
    Jesus, i had no idea that was Adrian Edmondson, he scrubed up well, i knew he looked familiar, i just thought it was Admiral Piett and the same actor that played him.. and that he just "aged" well..lol... Its now stupid thinking about it :confused::o:pac:

I had no idea it was Him either!
    But he was cool in it. ‘I think he’s tooling with you sir’ haha!

Ok, this'll be short...
    david75 wrote: »
    This is really cool. 10 revelations about the Last Jedi from Rian Johnson
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-last-jedi-10-revelations-director-rian-johnson/

1. Luke and Kylo's views are built to mirror each other
    With Kylo Ren ready to burn everything down and Luke Skywalker choosing to hide away, there was a lot to explore in their different philosophies.

That didn't work at all. One guy wants to destroy everything and the other ran away.

The theme of "let the past die" is a Disney theme. I.E they want to be rid of Star Wars as Star Wars fans know and make their own Marvel Star Wars.

#notforoldfukerslikeme

2. Luke's death had to have resonance

It didn't. In the end Luke died from using the force. :rolleyes: A Jedi master (the guy we've been following for years) dies cos he uses the power that was introduced to him and us in 1977.

That was simply terrible.

3. The stable boy ending almost wasn't the last scene

Pity it made it in. There's one thing that should have hit the cutting room floor.

4. Kylo and Rey's connection is complicated for a reason

I don't see any "complications" with Kylo Ren or Rey *.*

5. Rey's parentage was a clear choice

Rey being a nobody is one of the good things about 'The Last Jedi'. It would have been lame if she was a Skywalker, or a Kenobi.

6. Carrie Fisher's death did not affect the story

It should have.

7. Holdo's hyperspace attack reaches back to a line from the past

Everybody is aware of this. It still doesn't change any of the issues surrounding the problems of somebody suddenly weaponising hyperspace, in the 1000's of years that it's existed in this universe and that should have been caught at script stage.

8. Snoke's unceremonious death allowed for a new paradigm

Snoke's "unceremonious death" only exists, because the writer's hadn't a clue who he was and didn't know what to write for him. Very, very, poor.

9. Luke and co.'s expanded Force powers had to compete with what we've seen before

The Force is ridiculous now. It's always been a nebulous thing, but we just into random superpowers now.

10. Johnson had to resist being a fanboy around Adrian Edmondson

Who cares.

Maybe it would have helped if he'd been a bigger Star Wars fanboy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Ok, this'll be short...

1. Luke and Kylo's views are built to mirror each other
    With Kylo Ren ready to burn everything down and Luke Skywalker choosing to hide away, there was a lot to explore in their different philosophies.

That didn't work at all. One guy wants to destroy everything and the other ran away.

The theme of "let the past die" is a Disney theme. I.E they want to be rid of Star Wars as Star Wars fans know and make their own Marvel Star Wars.

#notforoldfukerslikeme

2. Luke's death had to have resonance

It didn't. In the end Luke died from using the force. A Jedi master (the guy we've been following for years) dies cos he uses the power that was introduced to him and us in 1977.

That was simply terrible.

3. The stable boy ending almost wasn't the last scene

Pity it made it in. There's one thing that should have hit the cutting room floor.

4. Kylo and Rey's connection is complicated for a reason

I don't see any "complications" with Kylo Ren or Rey *.*

5. Rey's parentage was a clear choice

Rey being a nobody is one of the good things about 'The Last Jedi'. It would have been lame if she was a Skywalker, or a Kenobi.

It should have.

7. Holdo's hyperspace attack reaches back to a line from the past

Everybody is aware of this. It still doesn't change any of the issues surrounding the problems of somebody suddenly weaponising hyperspace, in the 1000's of years that it's existed in this universe and that should have been caught at script stage.

8. Snoke's unceremonious death allowed for a new paradigm

Snoke's "unceremonious death" only exists, because the writer's hadn't a clue who he was and didn't know what to write for him. Very, very, poor.

9. Luke and co.'s expanded Force powers had to compete with what we've seen before

The Force is ridiculous now. It's always been a nebulous thing, but we just into random superpowers now.

10. Johnson had to resist being a fanboy around Adrian Edmondson

Who cares.

Maybe it would have helped if he'd been a bigger Star Wars fanboy instead.

Much of the problems you have highlighted, Tony, relate back to my central problem with this entire trilogy; that is, there is no plan, no over-arching storyline, no grand narrative for a trilogy. These films are adhoc approaches by different directors seeking to address the questions they want to address, not follow on from the previous film in the series.

Before this trilogy began with JJ, Kasdan should have been given the time to sit down and write a trilogy, with a clearly defined beginning, middle and end, and all the nuances and subtle storytelling afforded to a thorough treatment.

You can disagree with his points Tony it doesn’t mean they’re wrong. They’re the choices he made. It’s Star Wars 2.0 in TLJ not marvel. Or anything like it. Thankfully.

I have feelings about this Luke being the best Luke we’ve ever seen but it’ll keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

At least we didn't have him and Domhnall Gleeson having a 'Bottom' style fight in the middle of the Star Destroyer :). The actress that played Lyse Arryn in Game Of Thrones has a cameo in one of their scenes as well incedentially

Admiral Piett died in ROTJ btw.....sorry for being pedantic :)

Falthyron wrote: »
    Much of the problems you have highlighted, Tony, relate back to my central problem with this entire trilogy; that is, there is no plan, no over-arching storyline, no grand narrative for a trilogy. These films are adhoc approaches by different directors seeking to address the questions they want to address, not follow on from the previous film in the series.

Before this trilogy began with JJ, Kasdan should have been given the time to sit down and write a trilogy, with a clearly defined beginning, middle and end, and all the nuances and subtle storytelling afforded to a thorough treatment.

Agreed. It's the very deifintion of hit and hope and it isn't working. Everything JJ Abrams set up in TFA, was simply abandoned by Johnson in TLJ. In fact, you could say that everything that was set up in the OT was abandoned by both Abrams and Johnson.

No doubt, in the next film, Abrams won't give a tinkers cuss what happened in the TLJ either and just randomly come up with a series of events that, in essence, mean bugger all.

Also agree on a pre-planning stage that should have been the central focus of work before the final script for TFA was penned. It's clear from the lack of solidity on the political state of the GFFA, to the barest sketches of characters, to characters being written in and out on a whim, to the sheer WTF of some of the events that made it to the screen, that none of that happened at all.

And before the "but the OT..." crowd chime in, yes we know that Lucas made a lot up as he went along. But, 1. That's no excuse for Disney and 2. He didn't just abandon everything that was set up in the previous films.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ok, this'll be short...

It should have.

Yes, they should have asked her to come in again to do a reshoot or at least utilised her corpse :rolleyes:

No, they should have killed off the character before she spacewalked and cut reshot later parts with her taken out.

She has no real impact after she recovers from coma.

It wouldn't have been THAT difficult.

Now, they have to decide whether they're kill her off in the crawl, or CGI her in IX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Tony EH wrote: »
    No, they should have killed off the character before she spacewalked and cut reshot later parts with her taken out.

She has no real impact after she recovers from coma.

It wouldn't have been THAT difficult.

Now, they have to decide whether they're kill her off in the crawl, or CGI her in IX.

Exactly. Had she died in the explosion on the bridge it would have made for a more poignant moment not just for the audience but also for Kylo who chose not to shoot. Moreover, this event would have provided the audience with more proof that Kylo was willing to come back to the lightside, as what was being alluded to up until the moment he asks Rey to join him.

Leia space-walking is, without a doubt, the most baffling scene in any Star Wars film. Not only for its poor execution, but given the knowledge that Carrie had died, why kill her off in the film and then bring her back?! This is why I argued she would die in TLJ in the months leading up to its release. It makes no sense now and, instead, we will be treated to a misfiring comment in Episode IX's crawl, or some CGI Leia seen from a distance getting on a ship that will blow up in the next scene.

The only loss would have been the reunion between her and Luke at the end. But, that wouldn't have been much of a loss anyway as he wasn't even there. The fact that he was just an astral projection makes that scene an even worse insult to fans who've wanted to see the old characters together on the screen one last time.

In any case, her scenes are minimal from the half way mark and are mostly just meaningless lines.

Disney have just made things difficult for themselves now and I can't see anything by more fan outrage no matter how they handle the situation in IX.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I must be the only one who liked Leia's portrayal in the movie, space walk included. I'm glad they didn't tinker with her role in the film retrospectively, that would have been wrong and opportunist. It's more appropriate to address it in the next film.

The film could jump forward a few years, post Leia's eventual passing, where the Resistence is rebuilding in her (and Luke's) honour.

How does Kylo fight the Skywalker legend, is a very interesting premise for the final saga movie and not like anything weve seen before. After offing both Han Solo and effectively Luke Skywalker, how many fans actually want Kylo redeemed at this point. Short odds perhaps on Rey bringing the Skywalker bloodline to a final end.

Roll on December 2019 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Derco wrote: »
    At least we didn't have him and Domhnall Gleeson having a 'Bottom' style fight in the middle of the Star Destroyer :). The actress that played Lyse Arryn in Game Of Thrones has a cameo in one of their scenes as well incedentially

Admiral Piett died in ROTJ btw.....sorry for being pedantic :)

haha i know, i rewatched the OT after seeing the film twice, and when he got blown up i remember thinking to myself, "WTF, HE DIED?!? i better check into that after" but i didnt i went to bed and forgot all about it. And then i watched it a third time and still thought it was him but that maybe Rian forgot he died or maybe its his son as i dont think we get his name.. But again forgot to check into it furher. Theres just so much wrong with the movie i overlooked it :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The ‘Leia should have died in space due to Fisher’s death’ is the one criticism I find genuinely hard to fathom. It would not be remotely easy to deal with as you’d be cutting two-thirds of a beloved actress’s final performance; have to fairly radically reshape / remake the film’s extended third act; compromise the story Johnson had always intended to tell (even if you dislike the film, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he clearly commits to the story he wants to tell); have to reshoot the dozens of scenes that reference or rely on Leia’s condition; get a busy cast back for expensive reshoots; probably have to reshape the Kylo, Luke and Rey arcs in ways both minor and major; and lose one long-awaited reunion between two siblings. Cutting a central character isn’t something that is easily achievable in ‘the edit’ or a few days of reshoots, unless you’re Terence Malick ;)

It’s one thing not liking Leia’s Force scene (just to stress, as I said before, I even think Fisher’s overall performance in these sequels is pretty uneven), but there’s IMO a big jump between that and unceremoniously cutting most of Fisher’s final performance. Narratively, practically and hell even ethically I cannot see why it would be a preferable option to dump her into space and leave her there half an hour in when that was never the intention - especially in a series where the films traditionally open with an iconic text roll that allows you to fill in and explain off-screen events.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It wasn't intended that way, but I think TLJ works really well as a send-off for Leia. We see her pass the torch to Poe when she tells everyone to follow him. We see her use the Force for the first time. Her final scenes with Luke and Rey were great. And she's still pretty weak from her injuries at the end of the film, so its not hard to believe that she eventually succumbs to them.

Fisher (as she admitted herself) was never a great actor. She was best playing characters close to her own personality and I think Johnson managed to bring that out. This was the best Fisher and Leia had been since TESB. I would have hated to lose any of that for the sake of seeing Leia die on-screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

Wedwood wrote: »
    I must be the only one who liked Leia's portrayal in the movie, space walk included. I'm glad they didn't tinker with her role in the film retrospectively, that would have been wrong and opportunist. It's more appropriate to address it in the next film.

The film could jump forward a few years, post Leia's eventual passing, where the Resistence is rebuilding in her (and Luke's) honour.

How does Kylo fight the Skywalker legend, is a very interesting premise for the final saga movie and not like anything weve seen before. After offing both Han Solo and effectively Luke Skywalker, how many fans actually want Kylo redeemed at this point. Short odds perhaps on Rey bringing the Skywalker bloodline to a final end.

Roll on December 2019 !!

I'd be inclined to agree on Leia; it would have felt cheap, opportunistic and unethical to kill her off in the movie.

Plus, Rian Johnson had his script, arc and own story to tell. He was right to stick by that.

In all the debate on this thread (some of which is baffling) I'm surprised the issue of Reys parentage hasn't been discussed more - it's one of the movies key moments.

Still unsure how I feel about it, and whether I believe what Kylo said... Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

Plus, there's always a tonne of stuff that happens between the films. It's not in anyway inconceivable that she dies between movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

haha i know, i rewatched the OT after seeing the film twice, and when he got blown up i remember thinking to myself, "WTF, HE DIED?!? i better check into that after" but i didnt i went to bed and forgot all about it. And then i watched it a third time and still thought it was him but that maybe Rian forgot he died or maybe its his son as i dont think we get his name.. But again forgot to check into it furher. Theres just so much wrong with the movie i overlooked it :pac:

Actually thinking of that scene, the way the Executor 'sinks' into the Death Star is another example of gravity in space in the OT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mean:

Option a) - Signficantly reshape and reshoot a near-complete film and lose much of Carrie Fisher’s final performance

Option b) - Deal with Fisher’s absence in the opening crawl and unwritten script of a film that’s still in the earliest stages of pre-production

While I don’t think anyone is arguing that it’s anything other than an unfortunate, tragic conundrum for anyone to face, there is one solution that is immeasurably ‘easier’ to actually implement!

Advertisement