Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Guys...seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

DrWu wrote: »
    Guys...seriously?

Whats the problem?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxWCO7Jjy-kFI_EDD4FAvYLFtmYoWT9piVhYwGUMb4sAaZEjKHJg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

This film was absolute garbage.

For these reasons for a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Cos a YouTube ad for car insurance says so?
    Right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

david75 wrote: »
    Cos a YouTube ad for car insurance says so?
    Right :)

I don't see an ad for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Showing in only 2.5 % of cinema screens in china after the first week.
    Rotten tomatoes finally at 49%
    Rian say kennedy's idea for leah poppins
    The next film will be a massive flop. Its beyond saving at this point.
    All the new characters are pretty **** bar kylo.

Its all really sad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

laugh wrote: »
    This film was absolute garbage.

For these reasons for a start.
    #1 "Luke considering killing Ben Solo betrays his entire character"

Uh, yeah. That's the whole point, numbnuts.

I turned it off then. This is someone who clearly rushed out of the cinema to be the first to get a video up on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Showing in only 2.5 % of cinema screens in china after the first week.
    Rotten tomatoes finally at 49%
    Rian say kennedy's idea for leah poppins
    The next film will be a massive flop. Its beyond saving at this point.
    All the new characters are pretty **** bar kylo.

Its all really sad .

I think they will play it safe in the next one and just round off the series with a decent enough action movie. Rey defeats Kylo Ren and the First Order in the end and the galaxy is hopeful etc.

That still seems like a massive waste of an opportunity but it will still go down as "better than the prequels" which is some kind of praise, I suppose.

In hindsight I would have preferred to leave Luke, Leia and Han as they were at the end of RotJ. Everyone got their happy ending and they all lived happily ever after.

The responsibility that comes with taking such iconic characters and doing something good with them is just too much and the chances are the writers will mess it up.

Leia Poppins is a good example of that. I don't really see what it adds to her character and it's clearly meant to wow the audience by showing of Leia's awesome force powers. It just fell flat for me (and I think for most people?).

Since RotJ it seems like she had a kid, her kid turned to the darkside with the help of Uncle Luke, she broke up with Han, she got back into the military leading the fight against the First Order, a fight that takes the lives of both Han and Luke. She also got blown out into space and then used the force to fly back to safety.

Han since RotJ has had a kid with Leia, lost his son to the darkside, then broke up with Leia, then decided to get back into the smuggling game to get away from it all? Before he gets pulled back into the Star Wars and gets murdered by his son.

Luke seems to have started some kind of Jedi school but that went horribly wrong when he had a moment of weakness and wondered if it might be a good idea to just kill Han and Leia's child as he slept. (Leia seems to have completely forgiven him for that? WTF?) In response he closes himself off to the force. Returning only to taunt the guy who he helped turn to the darkside. Then Luke dies because he used too much force but that's OK because the music was totes emotional you guys.

In hindsight, I think they should have left the characters as they were at the end of RotJ. They didn't do anything particularly interesting with Han or Leia and, while I do understand that they were trying to do, with Luke they just executed a good idea so poorly.

And I don't give a crap what good story was in the extended 500 novels or whatever. Their stories and their character arcs ended in RotJ and it should have stayed that way.

Am I the only one who does not want to see people "coming back" as force ghosts in Episode 9?

I think they should just let it go. Mention that Leia passed away peacefully in the opening crawl and open the movie on her funeral/memorial, leave Chewie and the droids in a retirement home and then move on without any of the original cast.

They should have probably just left them alone.

seamus wrote: »
    #1 "Luke considering killing Ben Solo betrays his entire character"

Uh, yeah. That's the whole point, numbnuts.

I turned it off then. This is someone who clearly rushed out of the cinema to be the first to get a video up on YouTube.

The movie was released on December 15th. The video was uploaded on December 19th. That's a weird definition of "rushed". :P

Well not anymore. Luke seeing Hayden’s Anakin is the official canon now if we like it or not. Interesting idea about Obi wan though. They don’t have to make it Old obi wan at all. If he was appearing to luke yeah. But Luke is dead.

If he was appearing to Rey they could have him be a younger Obi wan. Ewan aged up a bit. She’s never seen him and doesn’t know what he’s supposed to look like. That would also be your link to the Kenobi film.

Do you not think it would be better if they just avoided using ghosts at all in the next movie?

It just becomes another weird thing where Rey or Kylo are being visited by the ghosts of people they never even met before.

Can you serious imagine Ewan's Obi Wan showing up to talk to Rey while Hayden's Anakin is popping in to have a chat with Kylo? It sounds so awful.

Episode 9 should be the Star Wars franchise finally letting go of all of the old stuff. We don't need a Han Solo movie or an Obi Wan movie or a Yoda movie or whatever. We don't need to see how the Bothan spies died to get the information about the 2nd Death Star.

They should finish off Ep 9 and then do stuff that either takes place long before ANH or stuff that takes place long after Ep 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

nix wrote: »
    I wouldnt say Leia "used" the force at all in the OT, more so Luke used it to commune with her, whether he was able to do it with just her because shes force sensitive or if he can do it with anybody is up to speculation.

Exactly.

Sometmes I wonder if people have actually seen the original films. In 'Star Wars', Leia is just an ordinary joe. There's no indication at all that she has any relation to the Force in any way.

In 'The Empire Strikes Back', it's Luke that communes with her. There's no light shed on whether she can use it.

And there's nothing at all in 'Return of the Jedi' to suggest that she can do anything with the Force either.

Some fans think that just because she's Luke's sister, that she must also be a Force user and some are praising her space walk because it validates that idea.
    Now I've no problem with Leia being taught the ways of the force and pulling out force powers in the movie, but to survive the vaccum of space and fly through space is absurd, and from what i can see the majority agree.

Sure, there's no reason that she could have been taught some simple tricks and nonsense by Luke during the years between 'Return of the Jedi' and 'The Force Awakens'. But her Mary Poppins act was just ridiculous, in both concept and execution.
    I think a better way of her showing off the extent of how far her force powers had grown since the OT, instead of her reviving and flying through space, maybe show her still alive in space but then fade away/disappear. And then have her appear to Luke as a force ghost, have the touching final scene and convince him to help the rebellion, and then have him do what he had done, and that would have been a great send off to both of them.. Too much? cant be worse than breathing and flying through space :mad:

Maybe, that would have been better than what we got.

Or perhaps, Leia has learned to use a force bubble of some sort that allows her to temporally insulate the people on the bridge from being sucked out the hole and that allows the bridge crew to escape?

Who knows.

As it stands, what we got was just very poor and completely unnecessary into the bargain.

Hard to believe that anyone in the story group didn't think that that scene would be ridiculed left, right and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd say the reason they dont show it more in star wars is because its a kids film, and any deaths in it seem to be swift and quick and then the camera changes back to whats going on elsewhere pretty fast, someone floating dead in space might be deemed crude and upset some "younglings" :pac:

Why is it that we have such a hand-ringing attitude to what we think kids can handle in cinema these days?

When I was a boy, "kids films" were the likes of 'Jaws' and 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. One has a shark scoffing people and the other has people melting!

Kids love that crap.:D

id disagree. It’s implied and then shown Leia has force ability in the OT. She just doesn’t get trained and isn’t interested in it.
    Ironically she has more to do and does more in TLJ than she does in any of the films arguably since ANH. She serves almost no purpose in ROTJ and her character in that was a totally different one than was established in the previous two. Suddenly a damsel in distress that needs rescuing where her character was never that before. Carrie always was unhappy with that but seems to have worked with Johnson to develop her and give her more of an important function in this new one. Which I think she’s great in by the way. She’s wasted in TFA. Just a vehicle to motivate Han. That’s all.

We also know now that she was more powerful than Luke and would have been Yodas pick for training as he knew she was more disciplined and focused and dedicated than Luke turned out to be. And she was always on the subs bench if Luke fell to the dark side. (There is another).
    We can choose not to like it but Most powerful Force user of his day is her da, she gives birth to the most powerful force user in this time frame. And she’s Luke’s twin. So it’s a flawed argument to say she isn’t force capable and powerful.

But the saving herself in space is instinctual. There was no training to do that. It was a survival instinct. This has been confirmed by Johnson if it wasn’t apparent enough already on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This gave me a chuckle

439066.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

id disagree. It’s implied and then shown Leia has force ability in the OT.

When?!

The only thing is the mind call, which only becomes a thing to her when we see Luke focus and try to commune with her by using the "Force". She isnt trying to do the same thing, shes just reacting to Lukes focused calling..

Anything else is just "feelings" at most..

When?!

The only thing is the mind call, which only becomes a thing to her when we see Luke focus and try to commune with her by using the "Force". She isnt trying to do the same thing, shes just reacting to Lukes focused calling..

It’s the same thing. Empathic ability just isn’t as screen wow as choking someone or visibly using it.

Think there’s three? No more, In Empire with luke, in Jedi with han and in TFA when she feels han getting killed. Then senses kylo flyin last in TLJ. And her space trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's it, and it's never really established as anything more. She "feels" Luke calling to her in the Cloud City. When Luke tells her they're siblings she reveals that "somehow" she's always known.
    In TFA she "feels" Han's death. And in TLJ she feels Luke calling out to her, and feels Luke's death. And it's heavily implied that she can feel Kylo Ren preparing to fire on the bridge.

It's never otherwise been established before TLJ that she had conscious control of the force.

There’s a cool creepy one in Bloodline about when Ben is in the womb and she can feel some dark presence reaching out to her and trying to get into him for lack of a better way of putting it. It’s written really creepy. Great book though.
    She proper uses the force to save herself and a pal in the Princess Leia book too. These are new canon tie in books to TLJ, think they’re both out by same author. Wanna say Claudia Gray

There’s a cool creepy one in Bloodline about when Ben is in the womb and she can feel some dark presence reaching out to her and trying to get into him for lack of a better way of putting it. It’s written really creepy. Great book though.
    She proper uses the force to save herself and a pal in the Princess Leia book too. These are new canon tie in books to TLJ, think they’re both out by same author. Wanna say Claudia Gray

So this is Canon ?
    Have you read the Aftermath trilogy ? would you recommend ...

I think Episode IX will be the last good Star Wars - or has at least the potential to be.

I'm not excited about the Han Solo movie nor does the rumour of the Obi Wan Kenobi movie excite me (allthough I'd love to see Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan again).

After IX I think we will truly see the Disney take on things.

As long as IX is good ill be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A fan poster for Episode 9 that's so good I wish it was real.

439079.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Nice poster but that title is awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Great poster. If only we had actually met The Knights of Ren in the last two films though...

I think the title will allude to 'balance' as I think both Rey and Ren will die in Episode IX. The end of the Skywalker line, the end of tension between good and bad/light and darkness. As long as one survives, there can never be balance in the strictest sense of the word. Then again, it is Disney, so the good guys will win and Rey will survive - most likely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nice poster but that title is awful!

I like the title. It recalls A New Hope while still being ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Just reminds me of New Order the band :D

Hope the go for something more left of field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

No more recalls!

So this is Canon ?
    Have you read the Aftermath trilogy ? would you recommend ...

Hector sorry for the delay.
    Yep both are canon. Bloodline is about Leia in the new republic and set 7 years before TFA so Ben is off with Luke and Han is off doing his thing. But she gets her darkest secret exposed by a rival senator -who is in secret helping set up the first order. And once exposed has to leave the senate but she starts to build the resistance as nobody believes her that the first order are a thing coming to take over. It’s politics and intrigue done right and one of the best reads in the new canon.

The same author wrote Princess Leia of Alderaan. Basically young Leia and her finding out her parents are doing something in secret all the time and it turns out to be building the rebellion. This one is really really good as it’s her whole backstory and has loads of links to stuff in the prequels, rogue one the OT and even reaching forward into TLJ. We meet Holdo in this and she is a good friend of hers from this far back.

Both really really good reads at world building for the political set up in the galaxy but also giving you Leia at two stages of her life.

Avoid aftermath trilogy. Really really poor.

A fan poster for Episode 9 that's so good I wish it was real.

439079.jpg

This is cool.
    Just noticing he’s standing in Vader’s castle on mustafar. This is that room where Vader chokes Krennic in rogue one I think. Guess it makes sense he’d go there and maybe use it as HQ now that he’s supreme leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

You're all wrong.

The whole movie is gonna be about that kid and his force broom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

tigger123 wrote: »
    You're all wrong.

The whole movie is gonna be about that kid and his force broom.

Could be on to something there...

439097.jpg

Advertisement