Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Leia clearly uses the Force when she senses that Luke is still alive post the destruction of the second Death Star (when Han says that he’s pretty sure that Luke wasn’t up there).

‘Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable’.

She was using rhe force in a new hope too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...no.

She wasn't even written as Luke's sister at that point.

That's just in there to indicate that she's strong willed and Dr. Ball needs to up the dose the next time.

Tony Rebels was coming to an end. Only 5 episodes left. Have a look at this. Some deadly stuff coming. Including the emperor and the father son and daughter

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Tony Rebels was coming to an end. Only 5 episodes left. Have a look at this. Some deadly stuff coming. Including the emperor and the father son and daughter

Not my thing David. Sorry.

Watched the first series and hated it. Didn't like the characters, except for captain of the ship. They're so "kewl", it turned me off.

It's aimed at 7 year olds and I'm just too old now to get anything from it.

Plus, the animation leaves me with a headache.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Not my thing David. Sorry.

Watched the first series and hated it. Didn't like the characters, except for captain of the ship. They're so "kewl", it turned me off.

Plus, the animation leaves me with a headache.

I understand all that. I’m the same with it in a smaller way but as it contributes to the larger story it’s great stuff and these final few episodes are looking like they’re going to bring it all in to a whopper conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

saying to watch Rebels without watching Clone Wars first

really?

Pablo took Esquire out for their frankly stupid article

While they're not "plot holes" (people need to understand what that term actually means), as it were, they are a list of missteps in Star Wars and some of them are legitimate. There's a whole host of problems with the prequel trilogy, alone, that trip up the story., largely due to Lucas trying to shoehorn OT characters into a trilogy where they didn't belong. Even 5 year olds were asking why didn't Kenobi recognise R2D2.

Also, I don't think Pablo Hidlago takes anyone out here. He just tweets with snarky replies that in many cases are just fudges to excuse bad writing. "Because the bar for politicians is so high, right?" is not a good answer to "How the fuck did walking lampshade Jar Jar Binks become a politician?" and "How can a man with a stick disable a whole group of armored stormtroopers?" shouldn't be answered with "This one is why it's important to watch older movies that inspired Star Wars."

Slydice wrote: »
    saying to watch Rebels without watching Clone Wars first

really?

God no. I love clone wars but 6 seasons is a stretch for the majority of people.
    Although it fills out the prequels so brilliantly.
    Seems like some threads from it are being brought in and wrapped into Rebels. Which is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Later seasons of clone wars might be what yer looking for...
    cos it explores issues of what it's like to be a clone and disposable and in a war and also you see where Ahsoka comes from

Slydice wrote: »
    Later seasons of clone wars might be what yer looking for...
    cos it explores issues of what it's like to be a clone and disposable and in a war and also you see where Ahsoka comes from

That’s just a slice. There’s so much going on in the clone wars that expands upon the force and the Jedi falling into their complacency. It’s really fleshes out And expands on everything the prequels were doing. Brilliant world building and George at the helm.

It’s a shame most dismiss it cos it’s animated. The many story arcs in it and Rebels are canon and as worthy of Star Wars as anything of the saga while being supplemental to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Translation: We did our thing and didn't really think about VIII and IX because we weren't making them. We tried to convince Rian that our thing was the way to go, but he went another way. Now he has shafted us for Episode IX just like how we shafted him for Episode VIII. But that's fine because we are all rich now. Yay, money!

Falthyron wrote: »
    Translation: We did our thing and didn't really think about VIII and IX because we weren't making them. We tried to convince Rian that our thing was the way to go, but he went another way. Now he has shafted us for Episode IX just like how we shafted him for Episode VIII. But that's fine because we are all rich now. Yay, money!

That wasn’t a translation. It was your interpretation.

That wasn’t a translation. It was your interpretation.

True, but probably a more accurate reading of what actually happened instead of listening to the usual corporate bullshít lingo. Come on, David. Of course JJ is going to come out and say there was some sort of semblance of a plan. He's hardly going to come out and say: 'Actually, we were making it up as we go along', now is he? Even though that is quite possibly the case.

True, but probably a more accurate reading of what actually happened instead of listening to the usual corporate bullshít lingo. Come on, David. Of course JJ is going to come out and say there was some sort of semblance of a plan. He's hardly going to come out and say: 'Actually, we were making it up as we go along', now is he? Even though that is quite possibly the case.

The interview is from before TFA was even released. Nobody had any idea how TFA was good be received and certainly not episode 8 three years in the future.
    Johnson said somewhere he was told ‘this is where we left off, this is where we need to end up. Do whatever you want to get us there.’
    There is a plan. However vague. I’d say we’re not going to realise that and see it within the story until we have the entire story.
    Daisy Ridley cried her eyes out when she heard what was gonna happen to Rey under Colin Trevorrows script for 9. I do wonder had whatever that was changed?
    They kept most of Arndts ideas for TFA even though he left before release. The main idea being Luke shouldnt be in the film until the end but be all about finding him.

The interview is from before TFA was even released. Nobody had any idea how TFA was good be received and certainly not episode 8 three years in the future.
    Johnson said somewhere he was told ‘this is where we left off, this is where we need to end up. Do whatever you want to get us there.’
    There is a plan. However vague. I’d say we’re not going to realise that and see it within the story until we have the entire story.
    Daisy Ridley cried her eyes out when she heard what was gonna happen to Rey under Colin Trevorrows script for 9. I do wonder had whatever that was changed?
    They kept most of Arndts ideas for TFA even though he left before release. The main idea being Luke shouldnt be in the film until the end but be all about finding him.

Considering Rian has come out to say that Rey's parentage 'can change' in Episode IX and her being the central character, I find it hard to believe there was ever a grand narrative covering this trilogy. Rian gave his answer to that important question, fans don't seem all that happy, so he puts it out there as: "Well, if you don't like it, maybe JJ will change it?". That's just bonkers. Either JJ didn't decide who Rey's parents were in TFA; didn't tell Rian; or, Rian didn't like the answer JJ had and came up with his own.

The same goes for the Knights of Ren. Rian came out and said that he couldn't see where they would feature in this film. He said he could have used them instead of Snoke's Praetorian guard, but that would complicate things unnecessarily for Kylo. How is JJ going to explain that? The lads were on a beach holiday sunning themselves while Kylo was struggling to complete his mission?

A lot of these films are ad hoc, David. Arbitrary decisions made by directors who selectively answer what they find convenient or what they want to answer. With JJ in charge of IX and his reputation of leaving questions unanswered, I reckon there could yet be a few holes in this trilogy before it concludes.

Again, people associated with these films are not going to come out and highlight the flaws; they will sell them as the greatest films ever made*. Imagine it from a marketing point of view. Let's say the grand narrative for the new trilogy was surmised as: 'Unknown girl, found on abandoned planet seeking knowledge of parentage becomes all powerful Jedi to destroy the Sith, but dies in the end to achieve absolute balance and end the Skywalker bloodline'. That's it. Just that, nothing more. JJ isn't going to come out and say: "We were given a one paragraph description of where we start and how it ends", is he? It would be career suicide and he wouldn't have been hired to do Episode IX. So, he's gonna reassure everyone, tell them everything is under control and he has this great story to tell. Which do you think sells better and which do you think results in him being blacklisted in Hollywood?

What I am saying is: you can't take the executives' words as gospel. Yes, some of it may be true, but not all of it. Especially the parts that are ropey, particularly when they are easily caught in the act, like Rian saying Rey's parentage can change.

*Until the next one.

Considering Rian has come out to say that Rey's parentage 'can change' in Episode IX and her being the central character, I find it hard to believe there was ever a grand narrative covering this trilogy. Rian gave his answer to that important question, fans don't seem all that happy, so he puts it out there as: "Well, if you don't like it, maybe JJ will change it?". That's just bonkers. Either JJ didn't decide who Rey's parents were in TFA; didn't tell Rian; or, Rian didn't like the answer JJ had and came up with his own.

The same goes for the Knights of Ren. Rian came out and said that he couldn't see where they would feature in this film. He said he could have used them instead of Snoke's Praetorian guard, but that would complicate things unnecessarily for Kylo. How is JJ going to explain that? The lads were on a beach holiday sunning themselves while Kylo was struggling to complete his mission?

A lot of these films are ad hoc, David. Arbitrary decisions made by directors who selectively answer what they find convenient or what they want to answer. With JJ in charge of IX and his reputation of leaving questions unanswered, I reckon there could yet be a few holes in this trilogy before it concludes.

Again, people associated with these films are not going to come out and highlight the flaws; they will sell them as the greatest films ever made*. Imagine it from a marketing point of view. Let's say the grand narrative for the new trilogy was surmised as: 'Unknown girl, found on abandoned planet seeking knowledge of parentage becomes all powerful Jedi to destroy the Sith, but dies in the end to achieve absolute balance and end the Skywalker bloodline'. That's it. Just that, nothing more. JJ isn't going to come out and say: "We were given a one paragraph description of where we start and how it ends", is he? It would be career suicide and he wouldn't have been hired to do Episode IX. So, he's gonna reassure everyone, tell them everything is under control and he has this great story to tell. Which do you think sells better and which do you think results in him being blacklisted in Hollywood?

What I am saying is: you can't take the executives' words as gospel. Yes, some of it may be true, but not all of it. Especially the parts that are ropey, particularly when they are easily caught in the act, like Rian saying Rey's parentage can change.

*Until the next one.

Daisy said back in TFA promo she knows who Reys parents were and JJ told her and the answer was in the film and she thought it was obvious. Looking at that now it could be anything from nobody to luke or even Kenobi as grandparent?

It’s waaaaay better that KOR are still in play and not dead in TLJ. Way way better than just killing them as the PG. now they’re still on the board and playable.
    JJ said a while back if he could make one standalone it would be about the knights of ren. We’re assuming they’re the other students that left with Ben. I hope that’s the case and they all have legitimate grievances with Luke but What if they aren’t? They’re jjs creation. It’s brilliant he still gets to use them in 9. He deffo will.

There is only one main focus at blockbuster level. Make money. I’m not and nobody disputes that. But you don’t get to do that with something like Star Wars, a franchise that is culturally important and more important than mindless bs like fast and furious etc unless you take real care with it to make it consistently worthy and capable of getting bums on seats and somehow keeping the old guard coming but steadily attracting a new younger generation in also.
    That last part is where TLJ comes in. We can argue about not liking it and why. We won’t know if its objective to both maintain fans and attract new ones has been achieved until the final one comes out.

Do you think episode 9 is going to fail at the box office in light of a minor but vocal element who saw TLJ voicing their opinion?

Episode 9 will probably make as much money as TFA if not more. Especially if they truly are wrapping up the Skywalker saga and market it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Christopher Nolan should have been at the helm for the entire Trilogy.

Because what we have now is a horse designed by committee, AKA a camel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Daisy said back in TFA promo she knows who Reys parents were and JJ told her and the answer was in the film and she thought it was obvious. Looking at that now it could be anything from nobody to luke or even Kenobi as grandparent?

It’s waaaaay better that KOR are still in play and not dead in TLJ. Way way better than just killing them as the PG. now they’re still on the board and playable.
    JJ said a while back if he could make one standalone it would be about the knights of ren. We’re assuming they’re the other students that left with Ben. I hope that’s the case and they all have legitimate grievances with Luke but What if they aren’t? They’re jjs creation. It’s brilliant he still gets to use them in 9. He deffo will.

There is only one main focus at blockbuster level. Make money. I’m not and nobody disputes that. But you don’t get to do that with something like Star Wars, a franchise that is culturally important and more important than mindless bs like fast and furious etc unless you take real care with it to make it consistently worthy and capable of getting bums on seats and somehow keeping the old guard coming but steadily attracting a new younger generation in also.
    That last part is where TLJ comes in. We can argue about not liking it and why. We won’t know if its objective to both maintain fans and attract new ones has been achieved until the final one comes out.

Do you think episode 9 is going to fail at the box office in light of a minor but vocal element who saw TLJ voicing their opinion?

Episode 9 will probably make as much money as TFA if not more. Especially if they truly are wrapping up the Skywalker saga and market it as such.

Can't see it, they've pissed in the well. A lot of people won't be back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes it can and it makes all the sense in the world.
    Kylo told Rey she was a nothing, a nobody, because, well, he is a Sith Lord.
    They have been known to tell porkies.
    Do you think that:

A: He was telling her the God honest truth because he likes her so much, because that's just the kind of swell guy he is. You know, honest and upstanding to the last our Kylo is...
    or
    B: He was telling her something that he knew would push her buttons and manipulate her in order to exploit her inherent goodness and, more importantly, her believe in the good within him. Since his master plan was to use her as a pawn (or ally, you never know, he is a slippy one that Kylo) in his grand plan to kill old Snokie and seize control of the First Order.

Or maybe this doublecross was just too much to comprehend for the many fans used to plots no more complex than the latest F&F movie.
    Anyone remember "Darth Vader killed your dad"? And then, GASP!!!, it turned out he WAS his dad!
    I mean, can't they get a story straight?! ;)

At this point too many people have decided Disney, evil empire, ruined Star Wars therefore anything they do will be torn apart.
    Had Kylo said "Luke was your dad" - "Too simplistic, no suspense"
    Current answer "OH MY GOD THEY'RE RUINING MY EXPECTATIONS!!!"
    No Answer "All this build up and no payoff?! DISNEY SUCKS!!!"
    So, there is no correct way of making these movies, the current fashion is to be required to hate any new Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, James Bond, Marvel, without even thinking and to deposit a little bit of wee-wee in your underpants with excitement at the thought of another Fast and Furious movie (which will be the BEST of the lot, OMG!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

Do you think that:

A: He was telling her the God honest truth because he likes her so much, because that's just the kind of swell guy he is. You know, honest and upstanding to the last our Kylo is...
    or
    B: He was telling her something that he knew would push her buttons and manipulate her in order to exploit her inherent goodness and, more importantly, her believe in the good within him. Since his master plan was to use her as a pawn (or ally, you never know, he is a slippy one that Kylo) in his grand plan to kill old Snokie and seize control of the First Order.

Or maybe this doublecross was just too much to comprehend for the many fans used to plots no more complex than the latest F&F movie.
    Anyone remember "Darth Vader killed your dad"? And then, GASP!!!, it turned out he WAS his dad!

At this point too many people have decided Disney, evil empire, ruined Star Wars therefore anything they do will be torn apart.
    So, there is no correct way of making these movies, the current fashion is to be required to hate any new Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, James Bond, Marvel, without even thinking and to deposit a little bit of wee-wee in your underpants with excitement at the thought of another Fast and Furious movie (which will be the BEST of the lot, OMG!!!).

There's no way to win with some people.

I read "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" recently and made it an excellent point; most Star Wars fans hate Star Wars.

tigger123 wrote: »

I read "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" recently and made it an excellent point; most Star Wars fans hate Star Wars.

Nah, I don't accept this.

People are critical of things that they love, because they hold it up to a certain standard. If they "hated" it, that standard would be very low, or non-existent, and they wouldn't bother with it. There's better things to do.

For myself, I love the originals and 'Rogue One'. They are films that are separated by decades, a prequel trilogy, animated TV shows, books, comics and the first chapter in a new trilogy. My point being is that it isn't period based and the quality of the franchise is extremely variable. So variable, that I contend that it's virtually impossible to love every single part of it.

I reckon, at this point, that I dislike more Star Wars stuff, than I like. But that's not about wanting to "hate" Star Wars. It's just that a lot of it doesn't hit the heights that it can. Simply put, when Star Wars is good, it's great and when it's bad, it's bloody awful <- That's objectively speaking, without my Star Wars hat on.

The Star Wars "love crew" are the one's that I find dubious, when a lot of Star Wars can be quite poor (yes, I know that's a matter of opinion). I just don't buy it. I don't believe people when they say that they love every single part of it, when there's a lot be critical of, especially when parts of the story are lessened or outright contradicted by other parts due to poor writing. This is evident in the prequels and some of the (not discarded) EU.

But, no, Star Wars fans do not "hate" Star Wars. They just like "their" portion of it.

Christopher Nolan should have been at the helm for the entire Trilogy.

Because what we have now is a horse designed by committee, AKA a camel.

Hed be great for a standalone I think. But he’s too much into stamping his own oddly shaped style onto his films. Don’t think it would work for a star Wars saga trilogy. But a stand alone could be great.

tigger123 wrote: »

THat book is bloody brilliant isn’t it? If you liked it check out the World according to Star Wars by Cass R Sunstein. It’s really complementary to the other one but goes In deep. Really fascinating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I reckon, at this point, that I dislike more Star Wars stuff, than I like. But that's not about wanting to "hate" Star Wars. It's just that a lot of it doesn't hit the heights that it can. Simply put, when Star Wars is good, it's great and when it's bad, it's bloody awful <- That's objectively speaking, without my Star Wars hat on.
    Ultimately you can't be objective.

What you want is the Star Wars that you saw when you were nine. But you're not nine anymore. That Star Wars will never exist for you again. The original trilogy is good, but watching it also has a massive nostalgia boost for you, you go back and watch it with a nine-year-old's lens, which makes it appear better than it actually is. Watch ANH again and it's actually really clunky and some of the acting is bogey as feck. But for a kid, that's less important than the story.

When you try to watch a new movie with the same characters, there's not the same nostalgia boost for you. You're watching it through an adult lens and it ends up looking ugly. You desperately crave that excitement you got when you were nine. But you're never going to get it.

Even bringing back the same format and the same team is a bust. Lucas made a balls of the prequel trilogy.

So in many ways no matter what you do, as a director you're onto a loser. The people who are most excited about what you're doing are the ones who are going to be least likely to be able to enjoy it.

Rogue One is a good proof of the nostalgia effect - you understood the universe, but without any of the original cast, you had less expectations. Coupled with a slightly more adult-oriented script, you had a film that's arguably in the top 3 of all Star Wars movies.

seamus wrote: »
    Ultimately you can't be objective.

You missed the point.
    That's objectively speaking, without my Star Wars hat on

The operative part of that sentence has been bolded.
    What you want is the Star Wars that you saw when you were nine. But you're not nine anymore.

Wrong. I've specifically stated that I like the originals AND 'Rogue One'
    My point being is that it isn't period based

There are other parts too, that I like, that are recently developed, such as some of the comic stories. There are also parts of the sequel trilogy that I find good.
    That Star Wars will never exist for you again. The original trilogy is good, but watching it also has a massive nostalgia boost for you, you go back and watch it with a nine-year-old's lens, which makes it appear better than it actually is. Watch ANH again and it's actually really clunky and some of the acting is bogey as feck. But for a kid, that's less important than the story.

You shouldn't presume to tell me what I like about anything, or why I like it. I'll tel you. ;)

I've seen the original 'Star Wars' over 100 times at this stage and I am well aware of its shortcomings. That doesn't take away from its over all quality. Nor does kid me have any influence on adult me. There are many, many, things from my childhood that I can't abide any more, because I've grown out of it. The original 'Star Wars', however, remains an enjoyable film for me, even today.

Because it's a good film.
    When you try to watch a new movie with the same characters, there's not the same nostalgia boost for you. You're watching it through an adult lens and it ends up looking ugly. You desperately crave that excitement you got when you were nine. But you're never going to get it.

It isn't about "nostalgia" for me. I view films on their own basis. In fact, one of my criticisms of Star Wars, as a whole, is its reliance on nostalgia as a selling point. It was, in part, responsible for wrecking the prequels and the sequels hinge far too much on it as well.

I've said repeatedly that I want to see new stories and new characters. The Star Wars universe has to potential to be vast, but we keep getting the same family drama all the time.

Frankly, I'm sick of the Skywalkers and look forward to seeing new material. That still doesn't mean that I am, in some people's eyes, rather "pessimistic" (I'd call it realistic), about how Disney are going handle it, based on what I've seen so far.
    Rogue One is a good proof of the nostalgia effect - you understood the universe, but without any of the original cast, you had less expectations. Coupled with a slightly more adult-oriented script, you had a film that's arguably in the top 3 of all Star Wars movies.

Again, don't presume to tell me that I don't "understand" anything about Star Wars. You don't know what I get or don't. I perfectly understood and understand the universe of the prequels and sequels. It didn't excuse the generally poor quality of the film making that the prequels are criticised for. Nor does it excuse the flimsy world building of the sequels.

'Rogue One' had the luxury of plonking itself into an already established galaxy, but that wouldn't have saved it if it was a terrible film.

Do you think that:

or

The hyperbole really isn't necessary and it undermines the point you are trying to make. TLJ is a competently made film which has very good parts and, equally, some very bad parts. There are moments which I won't forget anytime soon, but the film is also lacking substance in places too.

As for the Rey's parentage thing, they are backtracking. It was clearly stated by Rian and Daisy that the answer to the question of Rey's parents would be given in TLJ. They were quite explicit about this. Now they are saying: "Well.... we gotcha! It could change."

As for the double bluff that you are implying, can I use the 'soft reboot' excuse now? If they go down the route of 'Anakin killed your father' to 'Anakin is your father', then its a sad state of affairs that this trilogy has needed to borrow so much from the original films.

EDIT: As Tony quite rightly puts it, the most devoted fans tend to be the most critical. They want to see the subject of their passion succeed more than anyone else. Its the apathetic and blindly devoted fanbase you should be taking issue with because there are flaws in this trilogy and people are choosing to ignore them. When that happens, and its a big enough voice, Disney can make whatever they want knowing that group of people will be enough for them to turn a profit on whatever turd they throw out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Oh man I loved that book. I wish they’d make it canon. It’s kinda tied to lords of the sith for me cos I read them back to back. I’m sure you love LOTS now. It’s a kick ass companion to the heaviness of Plageuis.

OK LOTS bought!
    Was gonna get it for the kindle but got the proper book version - its always better !
    :)

Advertisement